Clown loaches with white spots and skinny!

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I wrote about my clown loaches about 2 weeks ago thinking they have ich so I raised the temp to 86 since then. I also got a thermometer to monitor the temp and it seems to be steady. I have a power head in there, also added an air stone for extra oxygen. My water always seems to test the same as follows:
nitrites 0
nitrates 20
pH 7.5
nitrate 20
nitrite 0
amonia 0

My question is, could they have something other than ich? They seem to be getting really skinny. I do see them come out at feeding, I feed the whole tank shrimp flakes and I throw a few winking wafers in for them. I do see them eat, even the shrimp flakes that fall to the bottom. I don't get why they dont seem to be getting better?
Does anyone know what this is? Why are no other fish getting sick? Should I be worried that it's contagious as well?

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clown loaches are susceptible to something called "skinny disease", which may be what you're dealing with. The problem is that this is actually a symptom, rather than a disease, and it can be a symptom of more than one potential problem.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/clown-loach/60253-skinny-loach-sick.html

Also, do a search for "skinny disease" at loaches.com and read through all the advice.
Agreed,
Clown Loaches also need a variety of thawed frozen food as well as flakes and pellets. They relish blood worms, Brine shrimp and various other thawed frozen foods. They will also love finely chopped party shrimp, just make sure they are fresh and no preservatives have been added.
Carol

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So if ich is the white spots, how come in 2 weeks the temp at 86 isn't taking it away? And no other fish have it or seem sick at all. I'm just afraid that eventually the other fish get sick or something ????

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clown Loaches are ICH magnets and sometimes take longer than two weeks to get rid of ICH. They need warmer temps anyway so the raised temps aren't going to hurt them to keep it up.
Carol

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All of a sudden today my loaches colours look more vibrant, so I'm hoping that is because the ich may finally be going!
I have some blood worm pellets that I can give them until I get something better for them.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Clown Loaches are ICH magnets and sometimes take longer than two weeks to get rid of ICH. They need warmer temps anyway so the raised temps aren't going to hurt them to keep it up.
Carol
Thanks for the advice Carol
My loaches look like their almost cured and they even look more filled in now since I started feeding them the bloodworm pellets. I also bought some frozen bloodworms to thaw for them for some variety They look great though, so I'll keep the temp at 86 for another 2 weeks to make sure the ich is gone and then keep a little over 80 like you recommended.
Thanks again

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I gave them some thawed blood worms the other day, they love it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom