Clown loaches with plants? Question

Discussion in 'Clown Loach' started by NMfishman, Apr 12, 2010.

1. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

In a new planted tank of mine I was wondering how Clown loaches would be with the plants. Oh and despite being new here I am defiantly not new to the hobby!

oh and the plants I am going to have are Brazilian penny-wort, onion plant, elodea (anacharis), giant hygrophila, valisneria, amazon sword, cryptocoryne, and dwarf hair-grass. my main concern is the Giant hygro. This is not one of my tanks that I already have, this is a tank I am still Planning.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Clown Loaches can be really rough on plants at time. They like to suck holes in sword plant leaves and as they get bigger(they get huge and need to be in groups of three or more) they turn into live bulldozers.
    All that being said you can still have Clown Loaches and have a heavily planted tank, just choose your plants and arrange them wisely. Java Ferns, Anubias, Bolbitis are all plants that need to be attached to rock work or driftwood leaving the floor free for loaches to hide / sleep in caves. It also leaves plenty of swimming room for them.
    Clown Loaches are worth anything you have to do to accommodate them.
    All of these have tough non appetising leaves.
    hope that helps :)
    Carol

3. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I plan to plant the back and keep plenty of area free, and hopefully they wont be too bad and hopefully keeping them well fed will help keep them off the plants. I suppose if they decide they don't like keeping the plants intact I can use the plastic plants I am not using, though I would hate losing the live plants. I agree they are worth it! ;D
    Also any one else wants to share their opinion and/or experience I would be appreciative, though I think I have made up my mind on them!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

All I can say is you are a very lucky man to be able to properly house clown loaches. I did the research on them and was highly disappointed to see my tanks weren't large enough. They're awesome fish and please post pics when you bring them home.

5. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I will post pics!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice