Clown Loaches - Full Of Personality

Fishlover1984

We recently lost our clown loach after having him for many many years. He was adorable and would always swim in the column of bubbles from the air stone. We recently purchased 2 baby clowns and wouldn’t you know, they do the same thing!? Is this common to all clown loaches or are we just getting lucky with these really personable little guys?

Would love to hear your stories!

Michaelk22

I don’t have experience with clown loaches but good to hear they are doing well!

Redshark1

Sorry to hear of the loss of your fish but I'm glad you are still a Clown Loach fan. It would be interesting to know a little more detail of the fish you lost including the size and age and how it was kept, how you know the gender etc.

They are very sociable fish and don't just group for protection.

I'm not sure what the average group size is in the wild but I have six and that number seems to have worked well for me in my 72" x 18" x 18" 110 us gal aquarium.

My two females have been the largest and dominant fish from early on and when they reached 20 years of age one of these established dominance over the other. They continued to grow and have reached 11.5" and 10" at 24 years of age.

This dominance is expressed by the other fish accepting their place in the hierarchy and giving way to others when challenged, especially at feeding time. The pecking order is tested from time to time with little battles which are mostly harmless.

However, persistant bullying or fighting does not occur and all my fish will rest on the gravel or in their hiding places next to each other even immediately after fighting.

They were especially playful when young but rest more when adults.

One of my males is especially beautiful. Pictures appear in the photos thread which is a sticky at the top of the Clown Loach section and linked here: Clown Loach Photos

Angelmom

I have 3 clown loaches who think they belong in a school with 2 old silver dollars - they roll around each other like puppies, swim in circles around the silver dollars, and just have a grand old time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jaxsco
  • Question
Replies
Views
idk
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies