Clown loaches, frogs, plechostimuses

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CaliRoo, Jun 28, 2016.

1. C

CaliRoo New Member Member

I am a beginner. I've asked many "experts" from large chain pet stores to the local fish shops and received wildly varying advice.

I have a 20gal tank. I clean it every other weekend. I have 4 glofish tetras and a plechostimus. (? Sucker fish? Pleco?) I've had them about a year. Yesterday I just introduced an African dwarf frog and 3 beautiful clown loaches. I have now researched enough to discover that I have done a disservice to the clowns and that they are better in schools of 5, and need at LEAST a 75gal tank. Makes me angry with the fish guys but whatever.

My questions are:
    1. Is my tank currently overcrowded?
    2. How long do I have to rehome the loaches before they're miserable or at risk?
    3. The frog is missing. Can plechostimuses coexist with them?
    4. Once I do rehome the loaches (which makes me sad) what CAN I put with my glofish and plecho and frog if the frog is still around? (I swear the sucker fish looks 3xs bigger and I half expect a frogleg to dangle out of its mouth...)

2. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Finding out what kind of pleco would help out the others here to help with stocking. If you are unsure you can always add a picture of it if at all possible.

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

1. Yes
    2. I don't know but I would get them out if there within the next few months at most.
    3. ADF's are best kept on their own to ensure they get enough to eat. They don't see well and may not find the food before the other fish.
    4. Do you know what kind of Pleco you have? Some will fit in smaller tanks, some need ponds.

Do you know what kind of Glofish you have? There are different species used and that may affect your choices.

Welcome to the forum!

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

1. Yes
    2. Cant answer because i have no idea lol sorry
    3. Its possible given the information you provided. Probably not your pleco.
    4. Not sure your pretty stocked. 20gal isn't much room.

I never listen to LPS. I have one clown before knowing....

5. Xander

Xander Well Known Member Member

Loach lover here - I would say it depends on the size of the clowns. I would rehome them before they reach 2.5-3 inches. And since most of the clowns I see for sale are within that range already, that probably means asap.

If you want to keep a fun, colourful loach in your 20g, Kuhli loaches are more than suitable! They're a more eel-like loach than the botia types, but they have a pretty small bioload for their size. I have 9 of them in a 20-long. Very entertaining little guys! Great fun, but do your research before you decide to get them - they're big fans of sand substrate over gravel, and get into tight spaces like filter intakes and whatnot.

As far as the plecostomus, let us know how big he is and we can give you more info there. If he's a common pleco, and you've had him a year, he might already be far too big for your tank. The real problem is when they grow so big they can't even turn around anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice