clown loaches and bettas

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

my 125g is just settling down from a nitrite spike so I have temporarily put 1 of my juvenille clown loaches into my betta tank, I checked which of the 2 males took no notice then put him in with randy (fry was having none of it). I have been monitoring them very carefully and randy has done some flaring but my cl is intrigued by randy and keeps going up to see him its really cute.

This is only going to last a day as this juve was having a hard time in my big tank and I couldnt bear to lose him. The other fish are doing fine.

Also the female betta I have which we thought was a vt is actually a crowntail!! Her tail has doubled in size in the past week and is starting to take the shape of a ct :) Pics to follow!

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Glad to hear that your CL is doing well in his temporary home. Just don't let him overstay his welcome ;)

I'm also glad to hear your female is doing well! Thats great news!

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

wow ive heard of allot of betta combo's , but this is a first..hope things turn out ok

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

its a very temporary measure and he is going back into the 125g tonight when I am home, he was playing with the otos this morning lol.

So far no arguments but I wouldnt risk it any longer, I just couldnt bear to risk losing him and this morning ammonia and nitrites were 0 so its looking good :).

5. Bubba the Gump Member Member

everybodies always talkin bout what fish not to put with male bettas, but have they actually tried it, for instance ive had danios corys and neons with a male betta with no problems, im not advocating mixing any ole fish with a male betta mine resides alone, but ive had situations like yours and once had a couple black ruby barbs in with a male betta, again no problems other the initial flaring and all that after all was said and done they was cool for the two weeks i had em together

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Diggly. Glad to hear things are looking up :)
    Ken

7. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I have had a LOT of success keeping loaches of all types with betta. They seem to acutally really like each other. I cannot say that I have tried the Clown Loach as my tanks are not that big but loaches are not out of line at all. They have differtnet habits, true but this may be what makes them get along. I have some very interesting tanks with the combo. My betta boys with the loach friends don't get riled and the loaches go about their business. I think it is perfect. Actually less hassle than a few other combos I have tried.

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Admittedly I was reluctant but as the tank is planted I thought the loach could at least hide if he needed to, plus bettas are usually top and middle dwellers with loaches being bottom.

He has taken care of a few snails for me too!

9. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I have noted that the loaches were pretty much nocturnal and the betta is sleeping then so they are hardly ever out the same time of day. the loaches swim much faster and are perfectly able to handle themselves if they get a sassy betta. But so far I have had several different betta with them and they do fine and I have had yo-yo loaches, kuhlis, and Angelicus as well as a lot of the Chain loaches in with them. They do fine.

Rose