Clown Loach

jack-j

I know clown loaches will sleep on their side and what not but mine just will not get up he is breathing and kicks his tail occassionally but isn't doing anything else. I found him like this this morning, I also have a bigger pleco in there is it possible the pleco beat him up one of his fins is ripped.

jack-j

He has passed but I noticed a red line just behind his gill on the right side of him (1st pic shows red line behind gill plate) (2nd shows his other normal side)

Aphelion0

How big is your tank? Plecos can be very territorial. If you have a small surface area on the bottom, the Pleco might have had a go. Sorry you lost it btw.

jack-j

Aphelion0 said:
How big is your tank? Plecos can be very territorial. If you have a small surface area on the bottom, the Pleco might have had a go. Sorry you lost it btw.
Its a 75 gallon tank 4 clown loaches are in there well 3 now but the pleco is much larger compared to them by about 5 inches I'm considering just moving my pleco to my guppy pond outside

Aphelion0

jack-j said:
Its a 75 gallon tank 4 clown loaches are in there well 3 now but the pleco is much larger compared to them by about 5 inches I'm considering just moving my pleco to my guppy pond outside
Have you had problems with the Pleco before?

75 seems big enough for those fish, but I'm not super experienced. It depends more on the surface are on the bottom than the volume, though. It might pay to add a few more hiding places for bottom feeders so they can keep out of each others way.

jack-j

Aphelion0 said:
Have you had problems with the Pleco before?

75 seems big enough for those fish, but I'm not super experienced. It depends more on the surface are on the bottom than the volume, though. It might pay to add a few more hiding places for bottom feeders so they can keep out of each others way.
I have ordered a fake log that's coming but that pleco is gonna be rehomed he is known for being an asswipe to other fish but do you think the red line behind my loaches gil is internal bleeding or could I be dealing with a parasite

Aphelion0

jack-j said:
I have ordered a fake log that's coming but that pleco is gonna be rehomed he is known for being an asswipe to other fish but do you think the red line behind my loaches gil is internal bleeding or could I be dealing with a parasite
It's hard to tell from the picture, and I'm by no means an expert (so hopefully someone else can chip in here), but it doesn't look like a parasitic thing to me. It looks more external than internal.

Have you recently added new/unquarantined fish to your tank? Any way a parasite could have been brought in?

If you've got a test kit, it's always good to check your water after a fish dies if you're not sure how it happened.

Bigfella

I'm not sure what that problem is, but clown loaches are pretty sensitive in my experience. They are like a parakeet in a mine shaft, they can be an indicator of something wrong in your tank. Every time I have had one die at least two more follow. I would do a water change asap and cross my fingers....

Redshark1

Plecos can be aggressive and territorial at night when the lights are out. I have seen it with my own eyes when I have suspected it and checked. They can be relentless.

Rtessy

What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? What type of pleco? Common?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom