Clown Loach Wound

Amilia

Hi,
View media item 248828I have had these loaches for roughly 1.5 years now and 2 days ago I noticed one stopped eating and had a couple of gashes here and there. On further inspection another one has a wound behind his eye.

My water levels are stable and I just did a water change, gravel vacuum and added some aquarium salt.

I would like some advice on to what this could be and treatment options!
I will link photos. My tank is 240L and established

richiep

It looks like a it may have caught it on something but if two got injures have they been fighting anyway something like Seachem stress guard will help it as healing properties that helps to stop the injury getting infected

Amilia

Yeah the one to the left has got small gashes but they’re not ‘fluffy’. If you can see the small dots on his head - I know it’s not ich.

They maybe have had a fight but generally the 3 of them swim together nicely so I’m not sure!

Thanks for the advice ☺️

richiep

Do you know what looking at one of those fish again the one in the middle it looks like HITH I'll call coralbandit for a second opinion

Amilia

here is another photo of him - he also has a similar cut like this at the base of his dorsal fin?

he is also the only one not eating

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 158

Amilia

IMG_0232.PNG
IMG_0233.jpg here are a few more pictures from today
I'm really worried as these guys are literally my favourite fish

AvalancheDave

It does look like HITH but I've never heard of it on loaches before.

I would be troubled if I saw this on my loaches.

I recommend looking for a vet that sees fish.

coralbandit

Who is with them ?
Do they hiding places they can in and out of that are not sharp ?
Anything new in tank ? Any changes in tank [lighting ??]
It does look like HITH but it should not have just shown up . I am not aware it is a specie specific infection ?
It is usually diet that is one of the main suspects ..
Do you by chance run carbon in your filter ?
Vitamins would be my go to in this case ..I use Boyds Vita Chem .

Amilia

Angels, bleeding heart tetras, bristlenose and simease cleaning fish!

No sharp areas one piece of wood may have a small twig extension which I will get rid of! No changes in lighting but I did recently buy some java fern?

Yeah I think I will also put some zucchinI in as I know they like it!
I do have carbon but it need some replacing!

All my other fish are fine?

Redshark1

I can't help directly but would suggest putting the pictures on Loaches Online and asking what is wrong with your fish.

This is rare on Clown Loaches because if it wasn't I would certainly have seen it in other posts by now.

Amilia

thank you will give it a look!

the holes seem to be getting bigger but I'm currently treating it with Protozin at half dose!

Loachlover357

thank you will give it a look!

the holes seem to be getting bigger but I'm currently treating it with Protozin at half dose!
HI Amilia! Did you ever find out what was wrong with your clown loach? I got 6 in the last month and one has some spots on his head like that. Know it's not ich either. I was reading through old forum post because I'm new to clown loaches and noticed one of mine has dots like what you have circled. Just the ones that look like dots though. I was hoping maybe you found your answer.

Amilia

HI Amilia! Did you ever find out what was wrong with your clown loach? I got 6 in the last month and one has some spots on his head like that. Know it's not ich either. I was reading through old forum post because I'm new to clown loaches and noticed one of mine has dots like what you have circled. Just the ones that look like dots though. I was hoping maybe you found your answer.

Hi!
I unfortunately did not find out what was wrong with them and have subsequently lost 2 out of the 3. The dots did get bigger and became massive sores/holes and the fish stopped eating.

Wish I could help you out - hopefully yours won’t progress like mine.

I’m not a professional fish keeper but maybe purchasing some beneficial bacterial from the aquarium might help?

richiep

Sounds like it may have been HITH sorry they didn't make it

Loachlover357

I'm so sorry for you. I can't get a really good look at him cause he still hides all the time. And maybe, hopefully, I'm wrong, and just overly worried. I have bought 6 in the last month and only the 2 little ones come out. When I go looking for him with a flashlight, his eyes reflect back differently. I thought maybe he was just blind. Anyway, I was reading all the posts in the clown loach forum, and saw yours. I thought I saw a couple specks on his head, but I'm not totally positive. I thought maybe they were scars. So I should take him back? Does anyone know what causes HITH syndrome or how to fix it? Btw ive had my tank 3 years, but don't really know a whole lot. We just maintain regular water changes and feedings and everything's been great. No sickness, livebearers breading, visible new fin growth.

richiep

I think coralbandit may be able to give more expert advise hope they pull through for you
I'm so sorry for you. I can't get a really good look at him cause he still hides all the time. And maybe, hopefully, I'm wrong, and just overly worried. I have bought 6 in the last month and only the 2 little ones come out. When I go looking for him with a flashlight, his eyes reflect back differently. I thought maybe he was just blind. Anyway, I was reading all the posts in the clown loach forum, and saw yours. I thought I saw a couple specks on his head, but I'm not totally positive. I thought maybe they were scars. So I should take him back? Does anyone know what causes HITH syndrome or how to fix it? Btw ive had my tank 3 years, but don't really know a whole lot. We just maintain regular water changes and feedings and everything's been great. No sickness, livebearers breading, visible new fin growth.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Socalfishguy13
Replies
Views
Linda13
Replies
Views
esdwa
Replies
Views