Clown Loach Stressed Out

darczap

HI Everyone,

I have a 55 gallon tank that had 10 Rainbow fish, 5 Cherry Barbs, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 YoYo Loach and a Bristlenose Pleco. I set up a 65 gallon planted tank that recently cycled so I moved my Rainbow fish out of the 55 gallon into the 65 gallon so I could give the Clown Loaches room to grow.
The two Clown Loaches are about 3 inches long each. Since I moved out my Rainbows I decided to add third Clown Loach, about 1.5 inches long. I noticed my YoYo loach was relentless in chasing my Clowns at any opportunity it got, so I traded my YoYo in for another 1.5 inch Clown.

Every since I moved my Rainbows out, my Clown Loaches have been stressed and now don't want to eat. It's been 2 days since I moved my Rainbows out, and I traded my YoYo in yesterday. My Clowns are hiding and when they do come out, they are very skittish and swim in one corner up and down.

I thought the changes I made to the tank population may have freaked them out along with the relentless chasing from the YoYo loach but I can't be 100% sure. I decided to add 6 Neon Tetras, a pair of Fancy Guppys, a pair of Honey Gouramis, 1 Clown Loach (1.5 inches), I left the 5 Cherry Barbs and Bristlenose Pleco in.

As far as my water chemistry goes, I do about a 30% water change weekly and run a canister and sponge filter on my tank. All other fish are thriving and when my Rainbows were in the 55, they were breeding and doing well and continue to do well in the 65 gallon.

Did the recent disruption in my 55 gallon cause my Clowns to freak out? If so, how can I get them readjusted? Right now I have 4 Clowns in total. Really love these guys so any help is appreciated. They were doing well prior to the change, eating, out and about, overall happy.

uncclewis

My clowns are stressed right now too, let me read this later today and I will edit later. I am messaging so I will see you in subscribed and remind me.

Redshark1

The Rainbows probably gave the Clown Loaches confidence to come out. We call them "dither fish" and in my experience they are important.

I have used Boeseman's Rainbows but I prefer my current Congo Tetras for their more gentle nature.

If you can't reverse your actions all you can do is wait and see what the Clown Loaches will do. Many people have Clown Loaches that hide.

darczap

The Rainbows probably gave the Clown Loaches confidence to come out. We call them "dither fish" and in my experience they are important.

I have used Boeseman's Rainbows but I prefer my current Congo Tetras for their more gentle nature.

If you can't reverse your actions all you can do is wait and see what the Clown Loaches will do. Many people have Clown Loaches that hide.

Thanks for the information. Would it make sense to add some more neon tetras or should I go for a little larger tetra like a Congo?

I thought by making more room in my 55, I would make the Clowns happy but it seems the shift in tank members was actually counter productive.

darczap

My two loaches (with Irian Rainbow) just a day before the tank population change.

IMG_7606 (003).JPG

Redshark1

Yes I think it was counter-productive. The best thing would be to reverse it as soon as possible.

I don't think that small fish are suitable for keeping with Clown Loaches as the latter are said to be capable of reaching 12" (though Anthia my largest is 10.5").

I believe sharing a tank with even a relatively gentle giant such as Clown Loaches will stress small fish (from my own observations). Even getting out of the way constantly can be difficult.

Today's minimum tank size is 120 gallon 6' x 24" x 24" also.

darczap

My 2 new Clowns are being adventurous, exploring the tank and eating whatever is in front of them. My 2 larger Clowns are still hiding but I poured some blood worms over their hiding spot and they have come out and eaten a little bit. That is a good sign. I'll probably add a couple rainbow fish over the next couple days to establish the equilibrium in the tank.

As far as getting a 120 gallon. I'll cross that road when I get to it. For now, the 55 gallon is less stocked than it used to be.

esdwa

Guys,
I have similar problem with my pair that has been moved recently from small 30 gallon community tank where they enjoyed time swimming around and eating along with other fish (swordtails,coby's, molys) to larger 65g tank. They share space only with pair of calm angelfish. So 4 fish total in 65g.

It's been day 3 and one of loaches is still swimming up and down in the corner, the other finally stopped and found hideaway under the sanken trunk decor. I do not see them eating during feeding time. I tried to drop some food right at their spot, not sure if they ate it all or were angelfish picked all the food from the bottom later, as they do this whenever they can spot it.

How long should it take for loaches to accommodate? How long they can survive without eating? Should I consider getting them company? More loaches?

Water chemistry is checked daily and it's perfect along with temp and light and feeding cycles. See my profile tank #2.

Ideas what is happening?

Here is a video showing this...

Redshark1

Not sure what perfect water parameters are, please elucidate.

Otherwise just be patient.

And put food at front of tank near glass to make them come out for it. If it isn't taken that means they are not ready yet. Just put less or take spoiled food out if it isn't taken.

My Clown Loaches disappeared for two weeks. That's 14 days without seeing them. All I did was add a cave (that was designed so they could not become stuck in) and evidently they preferred cramming into this to feeding.

I never take drastic action and always wait a month before being genuinely concerned.

Eventually you find a way to have perfect Clown Loaches. Mine now come out and demand food at six o'clock.

Clown Loaches should be in a shoal and in a 6' x 24" x 24" aquarium minimum I would advise.

esdwa

Water params, see my profile tank #2.
Yesterday I got 4 more clowns from same breeder two other came from, and now they all come along great. No more sign of stress, they swim and play around, eat well and enjoy company.

Problem solved.

Redshark1

Great. You say they came from a breeder. Do you mean someone who is breeding Clown Loaches?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
jake37
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
BeckyAnn
Replies
Views
Grace4514

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Are you tired of getting tank water in your mouth while starting the gravel vac siphon? If so, you might wanna watch this quick and simple video on how to get the siphon started w/out tasting the tank water!
Easy Aquarium Siphon Instructions

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom