Clown loach sparring

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

My two biggest clown loaches (one is about 1.5-2 inches long, the other is slightly smaller) have started behavior that looks like fighting. They kind of headbutt each other for a little bit, then they take a break and go at it again. They both gray out while they're doing this, but when they separate their coloring comes back. I tried to look for those undereye barbs, but they didn't seem to be out either. I just noticed this yesterday. I have just added fish to the tank, so maybe they're trying to get a hierarchy going?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

That is more than likely the source.
    It can be partcialy reduced by adding more hiding area, even better if they are far apart in the tank.

Dino

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

4. Janmitch22 Member Member

I was a member of loaches.com before I came here...still am, though I post here more often. Their forum air seems to me to be a little snooty. I guess because they know so much. But I do like the information provided on the site. Pictures are good too!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The second link is just a compilation of pics. Never knew there were so many kinds of loaches.
    Yes the info at loaches.com is top notch. You just like us best because we're cool 8) :D ;D ;)
    Carol

6. Janmitch22 Member Member

Yes, and there are more beginners here, so I don't feel as inadequate when I ask questions.

My two big loaches are still sparring, but no blood is being shed. I added hiding places as best I could, but they've grown attached to that plastic Wal-Mart tree trunk. They like to squeeze themselves into the inside crevices of the trunk. It makes it seem as though they aren't even in there. Before I discovered their trick I was frantically looking for them for too, too long, even looking on the floor around the tank, behind the tank, taking the filters apart...then I pop my head up to find that they're over at my corner of the tank, looking at me! Little buggers...anyway, about the fighting! They sleep together at night, so I guess it can't be all bad.
    The thing is...the one that is the obivous aggressor is smaller! It's less deep-bodied than the other, and about a nose shorter. The bigger one is more of a gentle giant, I suppose. I don't know who will win. The bigger one may be shy, but he can fin-bump just fine! They click a lot when they get into it, too. Can't we all just get along?

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Actually they may not being fighting after all. You are observing some typical clown behavior.They chase, bump and click at each other. Mine have been together for almost 2 yrs and they still do those things but there is never any damage done.
    Now that you have provided more hidey holes and they haven't seperated you've pretty much done all you can. I would think as long as no damage is being done, not to worry just enjoy their antics ;D
    One of mine has learned to play dead then when I jump up to check on him he swims as fast as he can over to where i feed them. I feed them in the same place every time then clean really good there when I do tank maintainance.
    Carol

8. Janmitch22 Member Member

Oh, that's kind of a bummer. I sorta wanted to see someone become a minion. Maybe later when they grow a little moreĀ  ;D I went over to loaches.com and tried to scour the forum for threads like mine...I think it was Martin Thoene and Emma who showed pictures of battered clown loaches and others with barbs unsheathed. But their loaches were huge, mine are all less than two inches. I just checked on them now and they're playing leap frog (leap loach??) in the current like old pals, so you must be right.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Oh well maybe minions will come later. Like you will be the minion because you'll be waiting on them fin and mouth ;) Mine will eat from my hand but the big one will only eat from my hand if he gets there first. If he gets to my hand second he goes back to his cave and pouts. aren't they funny?
    Carol

10. Janmitch22 Member Member

Aww that's cute. Does he sneak out later to look for leftovers or does he not eat at all?

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They only get treats from my hand, so he just pouts all the way through treat time. But will come out later to eat the stray snail or other bottom food I have put in. I'm a bad mommy, I give treats before feeding reg food.hahahahaha
    Carol

12. Janmitch22 Member Member

You're good anyway! I just feed bloodworms and zucchini on a clip. I'm trying to put them on flake food and have their bloodworms be the treat. I started them off on bloodworms because they wouldn't eat at first, then I just kept on with it. But now I'm putting my foot down! What are your treats?