Clown Loach not eating.... 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Clown Loach' started by xxsoccerluv27xx, Mar 30, 2010.

1. x

xxsoccerluv27xx New Member Member

my clown loach isn't eating as far as i can tell. i put a hikari tropical sinking wafer in at night and then i turn off the lights and in the morning the wafer is gone but the clown loach is still really skinny. i've had it for about a month and a half and the people that gave it to me had it for 4 years. I only have a 15 gallon tank, but the people before me who have had it for 4 years had a 10 gallon tank, so the clown loach isn't as big as normal clown loaches. I wouldn't have taken the fish, but the people who gave it to me were desperate to get rid of it.

Lately, the loach has been out and about more than usual, and now sleeps in a small cave with my cory catfish, who is about half the loach's size. Yesterday, when I was feeding my fish their evening meal of tropical fish flake food, I didn't pinch up a flake as much as I usually do, and as luck would have it it sunk right in front of my loach, and my loach ate it. I got so excited, that I dropped a couple more un-pinched flakes in, but when the loach tried to eat, he missed the flakes by a couple centimeters.

any advice on how to get him to start eating? is he trying to starve himself?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    Clown Loaches are social fish and need others of their kind to display their natural habits. I know you don't have room for more in that size tank but that may be one of the reasons he's not eating as vigorously as they usually do. I suggest you try a good brand of shrimp pellets and some thawed frozen blood worms.

They also normally get very large. here is some information and pictures of how clown loaches should look.  

I personally would get him into a larger tank as soon as I could to prevent him from being stunted if he isn't already.
    Keep us posted and let us know how he is doing :)
    Carol

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Butterfly - Is the previous 4 years it spent in a 10 gallon enough to prevent future growth?

4. OP
    OP
    x

i'm trying to convince my parents to buy me a 50 gallon tank (i'm still only 14 and am currently broke because I spend more than I have :) ) and they're looking into it. I'm trying to convince them that it is for the good of the loach, but they think it's just because I want more fish. I want a quality fish tank, which could end up costing around $400, so they want to make sure I will be able to take care of it properly. I researched sinking pellets online, and found some that were available at a local pet store. I've done hours of research lately because I've been sick, and I would really like what is best for my fish and would make him happy. If I get another tank that is a little smaller than 50 gallons say maybe 30 or 40, would that be any better for my clown loach? I probably wouldn't buy more loaches for a tank smaller than 30 gallons, but could i buy tiger barbs instead? I've read that since they have similar markings as clown loaches the loaches and the barbs might school together. what do you think?

5. OP
    OP
    x

Oh and also I bought blood worms today. He doesn't seem to have an interest in them. I'm thinking this is a bad sign...

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

tiger barbs and clown loaches won't school together.

There are many great deals to be found on craigslist. Your parents might see things your way if you did the leg work to make it happen. You should be able to get a decent setup for less than $200. My latest craigslist find was a 90 gallon with stand, 3 filter, 2 heaters and lights for 250

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It's possible that all that time spent in a 10g will keep him from growing to his normal size bur I would like to see him get the chance to have some room and see what happens. anything is better than a 10 or 15 g tank but a 55g would be great for now.
    carol

8. OP
    OP
    x

Jaysee, are the aquariums you found on craigslist good quality? I really wouldn't want to buy a defective aquarium.

9. OP
    OP
    x

my poor fish died today :( he got really skinny and had just gotten ich. i'm going to miss him dearly. and just as we were getting the 30 gallon tank set up. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice