Clown Loach ICK?

Dwbuchhorn

Reaction score
HI guys,

this is my first tank.I’ve had two clown loaches in the tank for 3 weeks now. I’ve just notices some white specks on the two of them (one more so than the others).

could this be ICK?

if so, what are some recommendations of getting these guys healthy again?

thank you I’m advance!

Attachments

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep it is ich. Just look at the link in your post that appeared on the word ich. There are some tipps already.

Otherwise:

- up the temperature slowly to 28-29°C (depending on the current temp you may do this gradually over 2-3 days.)
- get ich medication (can't give you advice on that, depends on where you live and what manufacturers are available there)
- follow the instructions for the meds.
- make sure the tank is aerated good while treatment

You might also want to look for stress factors in your tank, because ich is known to strike in stressed fish. Your tank looks very bright and sparsely decorated. I guess the loaches could use some more hiding spots.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
double check the instructions on the meds, I think loaches or scaleless fish might only be a half strength dose. I treated 3 times 3 days apart and that cured my tank, I lost 1 cardinal tetra in the process.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
qldmick said:
double check the instructions on the meds, I think loaches or scaleless fish might only be a half strength dose. I treated 3 times 3 days apart and that cured my tank, I lost 1 cardinal tetra in the process.
Nope, that was simply salt. Many ich meds can be dangerous to catfish though, but not because they're scaleless. If you have catfish, use something with methylene blue and not malachite green, because the latter contains copper which is toxic to catfish.
Your cardinal likely died not because of the meds but because it was weak already and/or the gills were affected.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok just checked directions and its a half dose for tetras, baby fish and scaleless fish.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
qldmick said:
ok just checked directions and its a half dose for tetras, baby fish and scaleless fish.
Different manufacturers write different things depending on the actual formula. :) I only keep tetras and catfish so I use products that can be dangerous only for one not both.

New Threads