Clown Loach Advice

MrBryan723

So I purchased 2 clown loaches yesterday and will be going out of town for about a week. My intentions are they deal with a slightly out of hand snail problem. There are several hundred snails in the tank and will that along with plant matter be enough to tide them over until I return? It's a large tank with very few fish and the others do well just eating earthworms and copepods when I travel. Should I expect the same from them? Never dealt with loaches before, I tend to prefer smaller fish.

Redshark1

Once acclimatised they would handle being without food for a week with no problem.

The possible problem now is that when purchased they are often emaciated and take time to settle in, often contracting whitespot during this process.

It would have been better to purchase them after your trip.

And it would be remiss of me not to point out that Clown Loaches belong in groups of six or preferably more in accomodation measuring 6 x 2 x 2 feet = 180 gallons as they grow to 12" (I have a 12" one in my shoal).

They live a long time, in my case 25 years so far, so are far more than a short-term solution to a snail problem. They really deserve a species tank.

MrBryan723

Most of this I am aware of. They are a short term solution for me, I'm more or less borrowing them from my lfs. He will buy them back after I grow them out in my 100 gallon to about 6". Unfortunately he only had the 2 in stock when I got them. There is plenty of live food in the tank for them, but due to their shyness I'm unsure how actively they will go after the snails and worms tho. The water conditions in my tank are more pristine than what comes out of my tap so I'm hoping that will help with any medical issues. I can have someone go to feed them every other day to supplement. I set my lighting up to be lower while I am out of town due to them preferring lower light conditions.

86 ssinit

Would have been better if you bought them when you got back. They will be stressed in a new tank for awhile. But will be out hunting when the lights are out. Also may not eat snails right away. May take them awhile to realize there food. When they do they will go at them and won’t forget . If they are healthy looking they should be fine. I’ve found them to be very strong fish. Mine are over 5 years old and allways looking for snails.

MrBryan723

I appreciate the advice guys. I have someone to go over in the evenings to feed them. I wasn't planning on going out of town so soon but got a call that they were ready for me at my job site.

Noroomforshoe

Obviously its not ideal, I always like to be around to watch new fish, but stuff happens.

They are likely to be stressed, new tank and no school to go to, and the are young babies right? Keeping the tank lights while you are away will be calming for them. Likely they are healthier in your tank then in a petstore, even a good pet store has a lot of stressful activity going on. So, I'm not sure How you will be able to bring yourself to give them away, but it is what it is I guess. smaller loaches, yoyos, zebra, and many others will also decimate a snail population. it is impossible to know how fast either species would do the job..

Anyways, it is probobly fine to not feed them, better to have a friend feed them at least once during the week.

MrBryan723

I had been trying for dojo loaches for a while but he kept having issues bringing them in. Yes they are babies, only about 2.5" long. They have lots of hiding places. I've done the same with standard plecos for years, pick them up as babies and then once they get to be over 1ft trade them in for new small ones and cash. Keeps the hobby affordable and since I breed, selling and trading fish is part of it to keep good balance.

Noroomforshoe

Dojos get just as big, you would have the same issue with them.

jake37

I purchased 4 clowns for my 120 gallon tank (I also have 5 zebra to keep them company). It took them about 3 weeks to settle in and they are still pretty shy (when I move across the room they run and hide) BUT the skinny ones (2 of them were very skinny with spines showing through the skin - one was 1.5 inch long the other 2 to 2 1/4 inch long) pounced on food (mostly pellets) and chased anyone who came near their chosen pellet. Fast forward - they have put on quite a bit of weight and the spines no longer show. Anyway if they are hungry I think they will come out and eat while you are gone - don't know about your tank but I have fluval lights on a timer - to be honest they are active both day and night - but if they are too shy to come out during the day they will at night.

Unlike your tank I have quite a bit going on in mine - kuhlI that constant swim (and are not shy at all); angels (8 for now) and 14 cardinal tetra as well as bn pelco (2) and some stabaI cory. I feel my tank is over populated - not all 8 angels were suppose to make it - so at some point I will trim them down - one neat thing is watching the clown 'school' with the kuhlI - well they dont' really school - they just swim into the mess of kuhlI and then start following them.

Most of this I am aware of. They are a short term solution for me, I'm more or less borrowing them from my lfs. He will buy them back after I grow them out in my 100 gallon to about 6". Unfortunately he only had the 2 in stock when I got them. There is plenty of live food in the tank for them, but due to their shyness I'm unsure how actively they will go after the snails and worms tho. The water conditions in my tank are more pristine than what comes out of my tap so I'm hoping that will help with any medical issues. I can have someone go to feed them every other day to supplement. I set my lighting up to be lower while I am out of town due to them preferring lower light conditions.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
Xander