clown knife Question 

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
does anyone know how fast clown knifes grow mine are 3 inches right now. thanks.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You've got 2?

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 1 my brother is taking the other one

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquarium Set-up:

The first thing you need to think of when it comes to this fish is that it can reach an enormous size, even in the home aquarium. They are often offered for sale as small as 3", and a lot of fish stores seem to forget to mention to the prospective owner that this cute little wiggler can reach lengths of up to 36". They can be comfortable in a 55 gallon tank up to around 10", but if you plan on having a clown knife long term, then you will need a tank that is an absolute minimum of 300 gallons, and bigger is always better.

They are very hardy fish once they reach a certain size, but can be sensitive to water conditions and some medications when they are smaller than 9 or 10". I have heard of many cases of young fish, 3 to 5", dying soon after they are purchased due to shock or unsuitable tank conditions.

Always, always, always completely research your fish before adding them to your tank.

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks for the reply I currently have him housed in a 70 gallon tank. so far the only prob is I don't think he is eating much. I have bloodworm and some molly fry on hand.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feeding:
Clown Knife Fish are extremely picky eaters. In their natural habitat, they are exclusive piscavores, and this can become a problem in the home aquarium. If you start young enough, they can be trained to eat pellets and some frozen foods, but this cannot be guaranteed, so a supply of healthy live feeder fish is usually required. This supply can consist of pretty much anything the fish can fit in its mouth, and mine has made a meal of goldfish, Buenos Aires tetras, Neon tetras, small Convicts and even Corydoras catfish. Some other foods that will sometimes be accepted are pieces of prawn, shellfish and some meaty foods such as beefheart, although animal proteins are not considered to be very healthy for them and should only be fed occasionally.

~~~~~~~~~~

Did you read that article?

Are your molly fry the size of feeder fish?

What do you have for decor for this fish? It has pretty strict requirements.

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have hew born baby molly fry in the tank I have some hollowed out driftwood and little rock caves so he can hide, and some tall water plants.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My point being that newborn molly fry are not that big, right? Aren't feeder fish larger than that? And the article indicates giving them "a supply of healthy live feeder fish". I know that feeder fish at the store are a reasonable size.

If he's not eating, it could be stress. How long have you had him and how long has your tank been cycled..... what are your readings?

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my tanks fully mature 6 months old water peremiters are good, I bought the fish last saturday. he is about 3 inches and the molly fry are very tiny still not too big for him to eat.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LyndaB said:
I know that feeder fish at the store are a reasonable size.
I don't know anything about your fish in particular, but I do have a comment on this quote. Feeder fish at stores are NOT recommended by most members. They are not well-cared for and are often disease-ridden. Members on this site who use feeders generally raise their own, so that they can avoid introducing disease into their tanks.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ditto to MEENU's comment...feeder fish are the worst cared for fish in any store!!!!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
I don't know anything about your fish in particular, but I do have a comment on this quote. Feeder fish at stores are NOT recommended by most members. They are not well-cared for and are often disease-ridden. Members on this site who use feeders generally raise their own, so that they can avoid introducing disease into their tanks.
I wasn't recommending purchasing them, although I see I didn't say that. I was only referring to the size of them and then asking the OP to compare the fry that he's offering. But thank you for clearing that up, and you're absolutely right.

djorna said:
my tanks fully mature 6 months old water peremiters are good, I bought the fish last saturday. he is about 3 inches and the molly fry are very tiny still not too big for him to eat.
With all due respect, it sounds like you are not prepared to properly feed this fish.

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I raise my own feeder fish I have them in diffrent sizes.

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my clown knife is a new addition prob just getting ajusted to his new home

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would talk to Jaysee... I think he has one.
Maybe he can help some.

Brian

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks brian.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
djorna said:
I raise my own feeder fish I have them in diffrent sizes.
Why didn't you mention this before? You only said you had guppy fry for this fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Oddball Fish section of the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have an african and a BGK, but no clown.

Since the fish is small, you'll be fine with what you have for feeders. When the fish gets bigger, you're going to need a multi tank breeding system to keep it fed.

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks Jaysee

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom