Clown Killifish Breeding In Display Tank

pandaloaches4eva

Hi,

I have 6 clown killifish (looks like 4 males and 2 females) in a display tank and i'm 99% sure I'm seeing spawning behavior - Males rubbing up against the less colorful females near the bottom of the tank. I'd love to actually breed them and my question is - Is it likely to happen (and the eggs and fry survive) in the display tank, or should I move them to a breeder tank? The tank is medium-to-lightly planted with background and mid-ground plants and several types of moss, including java moss, and their tank mates are:
if I move them to a breeder tank, will it be too jarring for them and disrupt the spawning behavior i'm already seeing?

thanks

display tank:
  • pH: 7.4
  • Ammo: 0
  • Ites: 0
  • Ates: 20
  • Temp: 76
  • KH: 6

chromedome52

Unlikely to survive in the display tank. If they are spawning at the bottom, that means you have no floating plants, as they prefer spawning near the surface. A floating mat of Riccia is their favorite spawning area, but hanging water sprite roots also work well. Fry are going to go to the surface, and with no cover they will get eaten.

Moving them to a breeding tank is not going to disturb them for more than a day or so.

pandaloaches4eva

chromedome52 said:
Unlikely to survive in the display tank. If they are spawning at the bottom, that means you have no floating plants, as they prefer spawning near the surface. A floating mat of Riccia is their favorite spawning area, but hanging water sprite roots also work well. Fry are going to go to the surface, and with no cover they will get eaten.

Moving them to a breeding tank is not going to disturb them for more than a day or so.
makes sense. thank you!

Top Bottom