Clown fish anemone hosting?

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by JTTSDBEMV, Nov 30, 2012.

1. JTTSDBEMV

JTTSDBEMV New Member Member

I have 2 ocellaris clownfish in a 55 gallon reef tank. Right now the only other fish is a Bangaii cardinal(tank just getting started). I have a anemone(the name has slipped my mind, can post a pic if it would help) and would like for it to host the clowns. I've heard differing views on getting them to host it. Some things said the only thing you can do is wait and hope and others said that there is tricks to get them to go in it. For the first few weeks they seemed to be hosting the heater. Would never leave the corner where the heater is located. They would always sit together in that corner, and never leave each other. Now one explores all over the tank all the time and the other sits in the corner with the Bangaii that also hangs out there. The clowns are about 2 inches and are wild caught. Temp is 82 and water parameters are all great, spot on where they should be. First day I had them one went in but left and hasn't shown interest since. So is it a waiting game? If anyone has used tricks that have worked I'd be very interested in knowing them. Thanks!

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

A picture would definitely help identify the anemone. Normally hosting takes a month or so from what I have read. Although I have read several cases where the clowns were trying to host within days or didn't host until months later.

I'm kind of curious as to why your clowns stay in one corner. That doesn't sound right. Hopefully a more experienced saltwater keeper will come along and give their insight.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi,
    Welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

Knowing what anemone you have is important here.

There are natural symbiotic relationships between certain species of clown and certain anemones, the relationships we know of are detailed here:
    https://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm Toward the bottom of the chart, you'll notice a few anemones where relationships are unknown.

The oscellaris is one of the more 'adventurous', as is the clarkii, having known relationships with many anemones.

The only 'trick' I know of is to stick a photo of a clown being hosted to the tank. Kind of like a 'mirror' that the clown can see and take a lead from. But this isn't guaranteed to result in the 'nem hosting a clown.

For me, it was all about patience, and eventually it happened: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...os/123641-coolest-thing-ive-seen-hosting.html

Hi Rogue, my clowns would regularly stay to one corner of the tank, venturing away to get food, and then return to the corner. I think it's probably natural for wild-caught clowns to do this (mine are wild-caught) - remembering they probably had a 'nem in the ocean to make them feel safe. By sticking to a corner, they limit the 'attack paths', as in, nothing can sneak up behind them. Just my theory ;)

4. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Ok I'll try to get a good pic on the anemone and post it here

5. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

My LTA took two weeks to host my clowns and now she is great with them :)

6. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

image.jpg
    Here it is

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a Bubbletip to me.

8. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

It is a rose bubble tip give them time it can take a week or 6 months. Wild caught clowns can be stubborn lol my male is the one who started to host first my female took two weeks she is F1 meaning she is a mix from wild caught clowns.

9. ryanr

Yep, BTA.

What time of day was this taken (relative to lights on)? Doesn't look fully "awake" yet.

Give it time, it may or may not happen.

10. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

I took the picture early this morning, about 30 minutes after lights turned on

11. ryanr

:giggle: Just making sure it was a morning shot, otherwise I would have been a little concerned.

12. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Yep, always looks like that until lights have been on a little longer. Looks much more awake now. Thanks to everyone for the help in identifying it

13. AwNuts

AwNuts Valued Member Member

i have a trick that worked for me. The wife bought a Ritteri Anemone and for the first month the Clowns didn't take interest. So one day while she was out of town for vacation i decided to experiment.

{Sorry i forgot to add this piece: Before i attempted to have the anemone host the clowns my anemone had already hosted with my Skunk cleaner shrimp. My skunk cleaner shrim would always be on, in and around the anemone and constantly cleaning its foot and surroundings. Guess if the clowns didn't work it would always have the shrimp right lol lol. "Even tho my clowns hosted the anemone the shrimp is still around it"}

I picked up a large plastic noodle strainer bowl from my local dollar store, and properly secured it to where the bowl was submerge but the top trim was above water. I placed a piece of egg crate on the top to ensure that no one jumped out of this container. Since the Ritteri Anemone wasn't attached yet, i placed him into the bowl strainer along with the clowns. Gently i would run my fingers around the bowl and towards the clowns to encourage them to be cornered near the anemone. Once they were comfortable in the strainer bowl i started to gently push the clowns into the anemone that way they can then rub against it and become familiar with it as well. On the second day i went thru the same steps in pushing the anemone into the Ritteri Anemone so they can feel more comfortable about it. On the third day day i notice that my clowns would rub on the foot of the anemone and occasionally graced the edges of its tentacles so i brought out a breeder fish net and placed it in the tank. I moved the Anemone and clowns into it and left them alone. On the fourth day early morning I noticed that the clowns were going in and out of the anemone so that was deff a good sign. By this time it looks like they would be ready to be placed back in the tank but i decided to give it one more day as they would still go in and out of it. On the fifth day the clowns were fully hosted and didn't want to leave the anemone. when i took out the anemone from the breeders net the clowns were following closely. I placed the anemone in a perfect low flow high lighting area and the clowns followed. The anemone immediately attached and the clowns have been in the anemone ever since, not wanting to leave it along. I have tried to feed my anemone but doesn't find too much interest in food as my clowns keeps it fed.

They have a great symbiotic relationship now.

For me the Plastic strainer bowl and breeder net worked wonderful.

Sorry for the cell phone pic, it doesn't capture its nice green tips and color.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Had to share, it finally happened! Went in the room and the first thing I saw was one clown in the anemone and the other swimming close by. Now their both in. Thanks for the help!

15. ryanr

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice