Cloudy white stuff all over tank

Lizzie3214

Hi, today my Betta, Cole’s tank and a cloudy white film over the bottom of the tank. I had done a 40% water change yesterday. Tested today, ph 7, Ammonia .25, nitrate 20, and nitrite 0. He also has been hiding in his cave a lot the past week. The only live item in the tank is 2 small moss balls that have been there since February. Any ideas what is causing this?
A782C81B-7B27-4B0C-A4B9-5275EB59C372.jpeg

Best Answer - View Fisheye's answer

FishGirl38

A bacterial bloom would make sense, although I've never seen it blanket the bottom quite like that. My only other idea would have to do with feeding - if you're overfeeding or not. But considering it's just a betta in a 10G tank...

You wouldn't be over feeding unless you fed like....10 pellets 2-3 times a day...with just one fish in that size tank. The age of the tank might shed some light on the issue too, how long the tank has been set up and running.

kallililly1973

When u did your WC did u clean your filter or replace any of the media? Technically there shouldn’t b any ammonia unless your test kit is giving false readings. I would test your source water as well to see what your adding to the tank. Did you add your water conditioner?

Lizzie3214

kallililly1973 said:
When u did your WC did u clean your filter or replace any of the media? Technically there shouldn’t b any ammonia unless your test kit is giving false readings. I would test your source water as well to see what your adding to the tank. Did you add your water conditioner?
I
I’m very new to fish, the tank is new from January. I’m not sure how to clean it. It’s a fluval Spec 5 gallon tank. I’m going to look up how to clean it.

FishGirl38 said:
A bacterial bloom would make sense, although I've never seen it blanket the bottom quite like that. My only other idea would have to do with feeding - if you're overfeeding or not. But considering it's just a betta in a 10G tank...

You wouldn't be over feeding unless you fed like....10 pellets 2-3 times a day...with just one fish in that size tank. The age of the tank might shed some light on the issue too, how long the tank has been set up and running.
it’s actually a 5 gallon tank, I bought it new at Christmas for my daughter. She feeds him betta flakes, as he never seemed to eat the pellets when we first got him.

e_watson09

It looks like a bacterial bloom. It'll go away over time on its own. I'd be more concerned with the ammonia in the water

Fisheye

Well we can all go back and forth with questions and suppositions, but your best bet for concise help is to fill out the form and post.

Lizzie3214

Fisheye said:
Well we can all go back and forth with questions and suppositions, but your best bet for concise help is to fill out the form and post.
I’m working on that now

FlowerzTrollz

Just a little side note.. When would be the last time you have clean/vaccum the substrate and clean some the decorations? Uncleaned decos will have that weird white slimy thing on them, which is you disturbed it yesterday, could be stuck at the bottom now to..

Lizzie3214

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 4.5 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 Male Betta, 2 silk plants, 2 detract leaves suctioned on wall, 1rock Like cave, 1Ceramic cave, gravel, 2 moss balls

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly sometimes biweekly
How much of the water do you change?30-40%
What do you use to treat your water? Tetra aquasafe for bettas, and api accu-clear

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:.25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH:7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?daily in the morning
How much do you feed your fish? A small pinch of flakes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Nutrafin max betta color enhancing flakes

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
The food has freeze dried bloodworms in it

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?few days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish has been hiding in cave almost all the time.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Just hiding a lot

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
This morning after a partial water change his tanks had a white cloudy flim on the bottom and some substrate. Plus he has been hiding a lot.
A6B7962B-5F5F-4810-B435-8BE45855F1BF.jpeg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FlowerzTrollz said:
Just a little side note.. When would be the last time you have clean/vaccum the substrate and clean some the decorations? Uncleaned decos will have that weird white slimy thing on them, which is you disturbed it yesterday, could be stuck at the bottom now to..
I vacuumed them yesterday during the water change

FlowerzTrollz said:
I did that yesterday

Fisheye

Thanks so much for filling out the form and for providing a photo. really really helpful

• So, the ammonia reading could be false. Your nitrates are good
  • If you can get back onto a weekly w/c schedule that is best for your betta
  • Any chance anything got into the tank by mistake?
  • When you clean plants and decor, what is your method? In tank water? tap water?
  • Could you post parameters of your tap water including ph. Your's is pretty low and I'm wondering why as there's nothing in the tank to do that, I wouldn't think
  • How do you maintain your filter and what kind is it?
  • Feeding. One flake twice per day instead of a pinch. Consider variety in his diet-frozen bloodworms will be a big hit. Bug bites are good too.

FlowerzTrollz

Fisheye said:
Thanks so much for filling out the form and for providing a photo. really really helpful

• Feeding. One flake twice per day instead of a pinch. Consider variety in his diet-frozen bloodworms will be a big hit. Bug bites are good too.
And ideally if you can, slow sinking pellets :) And every second day or so

Lizzie3214

Lizzie3214 said:
I did that yesterday
Fisheye said:

• So, the ammonia reading could be false. Your nitrates are good
  • If you can get back onto a weekly w/c schedule that is best for your betta
  • Any chance anything got into the tank by mistake?
  • When you clean plants and decor, what is your method? In tank water? tap water?
  • Could you post parameters of your tap water including ph. Your's is pretty low and I'm wondering why as there's nothing in the tank to do that, I wouldn't think
  • How do you maintain your filter and what kind is it?
I did drop the sponge I was using to clean the walls in the tank, but it has only ever been used for the tank.

I usually just wipe the decorations down or vacuum them unless they have a lot on them

Tap water
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- .5
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

I actually have never cleaned the filter, I know! I’m doing it now.

it’s the fluval Spec V tank and the fliter came with it. I believe it’s sponge and carbon. I bought new carbon and a biomax today.

Lizzie3214

image.jpg

this is the fliter

Fisheye

Lizzie3214 said:
I did drop the sponge I was using to clean the walls in the tank, but it has only ever been used for the tank. Were you cleaning the wall with anything? I'm paranoid so would use a fresh sponge and only ever for aquariums.

I usually just wipe the decorations down or vacuum them unless they have a lot on them-with tank water right?

Tap water
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- .5
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

I actually have never cleaned the filter, I know! I’m doing it now. No panic! Rinse only in tank water outside the tank, right?

it’s the fluval Spec V tank and the fliter came with it. GREAT TANK! I believe it’s sponge and carbon. I bought new carbon and a biomax today-AMAZING!
Q/ what are "detract leaves suctioned on wall" I'm just curious.

How is your fish doing?

Lizzie3214

Lizzie3214 said:
I did drop the sponge I was using to clean the walls in the tank, but it has only ever been used for the tank.

I usually just wipe the decorations down or vacuum them unless they have a lot on them

Tap water
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- .5
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

I actually have never cleaned the filter, I know! I’m doing it now.

it’s the fluval Spec V tank and the fliter came with it. I believe it’s sponge and carbon. I bought new carbon and a biomax today.
This just came out of the tank as I turned the filter back on. Is that ok?

6863A2E5-5E90-4C78-863E-85A968702BDC.jpeg

Lizzie3214

Fisheye said:

How is your fish doing?
has have no idea what spell check was doing! It’s the plastic leaves that you can suction on the wall.
image.jpg

Bloodfeather

Lizzie3214 said:

image.jpg

this is the fliter
Lizzie3214 said:
This just came out of the tank as I turned the filter back on. Is that ok?

6863A2E5-5E90-4C78-863E-85A968702BDC.jpeg
I'm not sure what happened there- but it's happened to me before too, when the filter spits out a cloud...

What kind of filter is that? It looks massive!

Do you gravel vac? That may help.

Lizzie3214

Bloodfeather said:
I'm not sure what happened there- but it's happened to me before too, when the filter spits out a cloud...

What kind of filter is that? It looks massive!

Do you gravel vac? That may help.
It’s the fliter that came with the tank, it’s a Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank. I do vacuum the gravel as best I can. What do you use? I think I need something different.

Fisheye

Thanks for the leaf info. Did you catch my notes back to you in itallics?

"This just came out of the tank as I turned the filter back on. Is that ok? " Do you mean the filter that baffles the outflow? Yeah, just put it back on.

Lizzie3214

Fisheye said:

How is your fish doing?
He seems fine, just won’t come out of his one cave. I’m tempted to take it out.

Fisheye

If he wants to hide, maybe let him. you can angle the outflow to bounce it off the back glass. Do you think he's ok with the flow? You could rearrange stuff so he can be most active in the quietest parts of then tank.

Keep the water clean,dechlorinated and warm. Give him some days and keep observing. If he's still weird, check back in.

Was it confirmed that no toxins could have possible gotten into the tank? tanks looks to be in the kitchen area, correct? Did this white stuff pop up after the sponge incident?

Lizzie3214

Fisheye said:
If he wants to hide, maybe let him. you can angle the outflow to bounce it off the back glass. Do you think he's ok with the flow? You could rearrange stuff so he can be most active in the quietest parts of then tank.

Keep the water clean,dechlorinated and warm. Give him some days and keep observing. If he's still weird, check back in.

Was it confirmed that no toxins could have possible gotten into the tank? tanks looks to be in the kitchen area, correct? Did this white stuff pop up after the sponge incident?
Thanks for your help. The tank is actually in the living room in a far corner that is unused, the sponge fell in yesterday when I was cleaning it, this morning the white stuff was there.

Lizzie3214

Fisheye said:
Thanks for the leaf info. Did you catch my notes back to you in itallics?

"This just came out of the tank as I turned the filter back on. Is that ok? " Do you mean the filter that baffles the outflow? Yeah, just put it back on.
I didn’t see the notes in italics and I can’t find them.

thank you for all of your help.

Fisheye

This is the message:

I did drop the sponge I was using to clean the walls in the tank, but it has only ever been used for the tank. Were you cleaning the wall with anything? I'm paranoid so would use a fresh sponge and only ever for aquariums.

I usually just wipe the decorations down or vacuum them unless they have a lot on them-with tank water right?

Tap water
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- .5
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

I actually have never cleaned the filter, I know! I’m doing it now. No panic! Rinse only in tank water outside the tank, right?

Your betta has been weird for a few days. If he's not bloated or having trouble swimming, then this looks like either genetics or environmental. Water changes and confirming an established cycle. How are you siphoning or vacuuming the gravel?

The white stuff appeared after the sponge incident. I suggest a 100% water change . This won't crash your cycle and will remove the majority of anything that could have gotten in there.

Lizzie3214

Fisheye said:
This is the message:

Tap water
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- .5
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

Your betta has been weird for a few days. If he's not bloated or having trouble swimming, then this looks like either genetics or environmental. Water changes and confirming an established cycle. How are you siphoning or vacuuming the gravel?

The white stuff appeared after the sponge incident. I suggest a 100% water change . This won't crash your cycle and will remove the majority of anything that could have gotten in there.
yes, I wipe with tank water. I cleaned the filter with tank water and replaced the carbon filter.

The vacuum Is posted below.
51AFD2F3-7B71-484B-AF75-4FA6948EDC9A.jpeg

51AFD2F3-7B71-484B-AF75-4FA6948EDC9A.jpeg

Top Bottom