Cloudy Waters..... The question of filtration

1. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Ok, before I dive into cleaning my small tanks....

I started my 30 gallon tank about a week ago. Yes, because of things taking place and tanks going out the door.... I had to short-cycle it. It ran for two days, then I added fish. This is the first tank i've had where I am running an undergravel filter.

When I set it up, I used the gravel out of an older tank that had been running for quite some time. I decommissioned it at the same time I was puting this one together. I also added mucho cycle when I kicked it off. Not trusting the whole undergravel thing I used the Penguin 150 bio-wheel with the filter that was used in the other tank as well.

I found out the powerheads I was using on the towers were too low in the tank, so I raised them. My water turned very milky and cloudy.

My test kit three nights ago told me that ammonia=0, nitrites=.25 nitrates=0 and ph=7.0-7.1

I did a 30% water change and added an Aquaclear filter to the tank as well from another tank I was decomm'ing. Filter media is well cycled in it as well.

Last night tested water again, which is still cloudy. Ammonia=0 Nitrites=0 Nitrates=0 Ph=7.8

How does that work? Two filters going on it and it will not clear up.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's probably a bacterial bloom and should clear up on it's own.
    What is mucho cycle?

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank isn't cycled. Lucy, I think OP means he used a lot of the product Cycle.

your 0,0,0 readings may be okay if you have live plants...

Cycle does not contain nitrifying/aquatic bacteria. The bacteria it contains may die when you stop adding the product. Keep a close eye on your water parameters. If you can get some TSS, consider using that (but first research how to use it so you don't waste the bottle.)

Otherwise, you should do daily water changes with Prime conditioner until your readings are 0 ammonia ,0 nitrites, ,5-10 nitrates. And you may want to stop using Cycle. You'll have to keep adding it weekly, and with it in the tank, the aquatic bacteria doesn't get an opportunity to grow, since it has to compete with the cycle for ammonia (its food)

edit": oops, sorry about the 2 posts in a row, moderators. my bad.

4. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Sorry Lucy.... Mucho cycle= a whole lot of it!

I do use prime, I use it in the fishy water that I make, along with some aquarium salt. The ph going up kind of confuddles me, but the latest readings were from last night. I'll take some more readings and do another 30% percent water change after the small tanks are done. I was very happy with the fact that the ammonia and nitrites were at 0, just not happy with the ph going more alkaline.

I'm thinking I should just ditch the whole undergravel thing as well. But that comes from everything i've read on the 'net. As far as how quickly they can make things go very badly for the fishy-kids.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Duh! lol:;smack Got it.
    Mommybaby is right, cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria, it's not aquatic and dies off quickly. That's why you have to keep adding it. Once you stop, more than likely, your cycle will crash.
    I used one many years ago in a small tank. Man, did it get gunky under the plate. Probalem is, you can't see the bottom of the tank so you have no idea whats under the plate.
    Unless they've improved over the past few years, I wouldn't use one.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have personal experience with UGFs, but the stuff I have read isn't good. Could you upgrade to a Penguin 200 and ditch the UGF? I know the 150 is rated for 30g, but I've read online and found out from a LFS that it's not enough filtration.

I have a 30g with a fluval 305 canister filter on it. Works great.

7. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Yeah... I was hoping the powerheads would help with that. One of the peeps in the LFS where I bought the tank, hood and stand for dirt cheap recommended that I keep it and run it. Gotta admit though, two powerheads on the undergravel, a penguin 150 bio-wheel and an aquaclear... It ought to be well filtered eh? *LOL*

That's the end dream mommybaby. Keep the larger Aquaclear on there augmented with a canister. Which will be a Fluval. That is on hold until I get a canister to help my Penguin 350 on the African tank.

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your two posts to save some space. There is an "Edit" key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and or additional thoughts should there be no responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Your tanks sound awesome. I don't suppose we could entice you to post pictures?

9. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Already posted, take a look in the freshwater tank pics section under tanks and tanks again

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

11. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Is your water still milky, if so turn your lights out for a few days as this could be an algae bloom. I tried using clarity which worked for a while but it kept coming back so i just left the lights off for 5 days only turning it on too feed and then straight off again it soon cleared. Hope this helps.

Nick

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

its normal for the ph to fluctuate during a tank that is cycling or in a mini cycle
    once that completes itself, it will be more stable and the cloudyness will go away...smaller tanks are more of a pain to keep up to par than the bigger ones....I would also ditch the UGF ..unless you plan on taking it out once a week to get all the gunk out of it..otherwise you will have an issue with always having high nitrates...

13. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Thanks Shawnie.... Although I was afraid you were going to say that! *LOL* I think I have a day off on Sunday, so... Yeah. Out with the UGF, craigslist for the powerheads, and... Plan on a payday for a canister to use along with the Aquaclear. *nods* sounds easy... *LOL*