cloudy water

1. Dazz Initiate Member

i have had me tank up for about 5 months now and i have noticed that my water is kind of cloudy. Its like a mixture of green and white and it doesnt look very nice. could sumbody help ?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It it's green, it's probably an algae bloom which is not dangerous for your fish. If it's just cloudy, then it's probably a bacterial bloom which sometimes happens when you clean your tank. How often do you feed your fish, and what is your maintainence routine? Do you vacuum your gravel and how often? How often do you do a water change? Answers to these questions could all be indicators to why you are having problems. ;)

3. Dazz Initiate Member

i feed my fish twice a day ,when i get up and just before i goto bed. i vacum my gravel every two weeks and i also do a water change every 2 weeks

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

Increase the gravel vac/water change to once a week a see if that makes a difference and is your filter the right size for your tank?

5. Dazz Initiate Member

its ok now i vacumed all the gravel and did a 50% water change yesterday i think the problem was that i had lots of rubbish in the filter and it had slowly stopped working.

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Glad you solved the problem. If you weren't able to clean your filter in old tank water and throw the filter media away, be prepared for at least a mini cycle. Your water may get cloudy again if you have a bacterial bloom. ;)