Cloudy water

persian85033

Reaction score
I can't seem to get the water in my 20 gallon to clear up. I took the carbon out of the filter for the clear water stuff to clear it but that didn't help. Anyone got any suggestions? I did the exact same thing for my 10 gallon, and it cleared up in an instant.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of filter do you have, how long has your tank been up, do you have any fish, what are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? These should help us solve your problem

persian85033

Reaction score
Well, it's a top fin filter, it hangs off the back, and it's got a carbon sack inside, just like the filter for my cat's fountain, yeah, there are fish in there, it's been set up for...maybe two weeks, I didn't think to test those levels, though, will do that right now...it looks like the nitrite is kind of high, at least at a 1.0. Must get one to test ofr the nitrate. What should I do for the nitrite?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Fish Ace

Reaction score
Things like chemicals can cause this.

persian85033

Reaction score
What type of chemicals, do you know?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't use any water clarifiers and let it take its course. You are probably experiencing a bacterial bloom right now since your tank is cycling. Water changes will not help clear up the water, and will actually slow down the biological process, but since you have fish in there, you need to do water changes when the ammonia or nitrites get at 1 or higher. This will reduce the stress on your fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom