Cloudy water?

Olivia Janae
So my tank went through a fishless cycle and has been steady. It's been about three weeks since I slowly stocked it, but it has cloudy water and I have no idea why. I did a water change yesterday but it didn't change the cloudy water. I just checked everything and it looks good.
Nitrates: 10ppm
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7.6

I'm thinking I probably overfeed. I've been feeding twice a day, but I'm worried that the water change of roughly 50% didn't help.

Valleriani
It's probably just bacterial bloom. Harmless in general (Since I asked about it too). keep an eye on the nitries/ammonia during this. Your params are fine however. Changing the water too much will probably keep introducing the bloom. Stick to once a week as normal and it should go away in a few days if it is. Keep an eye on the fish because bacterial bloom can eat oxygen which can make the fish 'gasp'. That's the only real threat but it would probably have to be very very cloudy for it to occur. This is common anyways in general. The bloom occurs when theres minerals in a newer tank for the bacteria to eat. It's harmless to fish in general, but once the minerals are gone, so is the bloom. Changing the water rapidly means the bloom never ends, you keep introducing more minerals for them.

Don't use any medication/etc to remove cloudy water. No point, often bad for the fish, and can mess up your cycle. Let it vanish naturally. New tanks tend to go through this regardless.

Overfeeding can cause the bloom to be more of a problem on newer tanks. Normally I feed the fish once a day, and I would advise having one or two days a week where you don't feed them. Skip a day tomorrow. Feed them once for about as much as they eat in about 2 minutes. Start light and then add more until that time has reached to where theres no food after 2 minutes. I feel like the more you attempt to feed per day the more error there will be for you.

Maybe someone will have more info, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Olivia Janae
Valleriani said:
It's probably just bacterial bloom. Harmless in general (Since I asked about it too). keep an eye on the nitries/ammonia during this. Your params are fine however. Changing the water too much will probably keep introducing the bloom. Stick to once a week as normal and it should go away in a few days if it is. Keep an eye on the fish because bacterial bloom can eat oxygen which can make the fish 'gasp'. That's the only real threat but it would probably have to be very very cloudy for it to occur. This is common anyways in general. The bloom occurs when theres minerals in a newer tank for the bacteria to eat. It's harmless to fish in general, but once the minerals are gone, so is the bloom. Changing the water rapidly means the bloom never ends, you keep introducing more minerals for them.

Don't use any medication/etc to remove cloudy water. No point, often bad for the fish, and can mess up your cycle. Let it vanish naturally. New tanks tend to go through this regardless.

Overfeeding can cause the bloom to be more of a problem on newer tanks. Normally I feed the fish once a day, and I would advise having one or two days a week where you don't feed them. Skip a day tomorrow. Feed them once for about as much as they eat in about 2 minutes. Start light and then add more until that time has reached to where theres no food after 2 minutes. I feel like the more you attempt to feed per day the more error there will be for you.

Maybe someone will have more info, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
This is so helpful! Thank you! I'll for sure cut down and go a day without feeding them.

And actually, now that I think about it, I did have (do have) fry in here that I only just let out of their little fry box yesterday and they were getting fed a few times a day. I bet it's the overfeeding.

Valleriani
Olivia Janae said:
This is so helpful! Thank you! I'll for sure cut down and go a day without feeding them.

And actually, now that I think about it, I did have (do have) fry in here that I only just let out of their little fry box yesterday and they were getting fed a few times a day. I bet it's the overfeeding.
Yeah if anything you should underfeed to start, not overfeed. Fish are scavengers, they aren't pigs :D

If you overfeed the bloom can start in a new tank because the nitrogen cycle business. It'll eventually go away when the filter establishes itself better. I can't be 100% sure that this isn't the cause of your fish dying though in the other post. It's really hard to define sometimes, specially when your params are OK.

Olivia Janae
So the water is much worse with a brownish tinge to it. Are we sure it’s a bacteria bloom and not some type of algae?

Valleriani
Olivia Janae said:
So the water is much worse with a brownish tinge to it. Are we sure it’s a bacteria bloom and not some type of algae?
If it's going green it cloud be an algae problem yes, It would be an algae bloom instead. How long are your lights on? Cloudy Aquarium Water - Cloudy Fish Tank

Olivia Janae
Yeah I’m thinking algae. Usually from 7 AM to 8 PM

JLAquatics
Olivia Janae said:
Yeah I’m thinking algae. Usually from 7 AM to 8 PM
Most folks here including myself recommend running the lights on for about 8-10 hours in a cycled aquarium and only 6-7 hours for new cycling tanks. Longer than that (in your case, 13 hours) and you risk algae blooms in your tank.

Olivia Janae
okay cool! I can do that! Thanks!

Valleriani
You can try keeping them off for a 2-4 days and see if it improves too. But yeah JL is right. On my old 50L tank anything past 6 hours for the first few months would end up in some big algae issues. Theres always a stability thing going on with tanks even when your cycled and it needs to find it's balance. It often takes quite some time for it to occur. ;)

Eventually if you do want lighting to be better you can purchase one of those lights that have adjustable times on them (aka they dim and all that jazz). I.E. My tank has a lights on for most of the day, but probably only for 5 hours is the lights on at 100% (split up in two 2.5H for my plants) The rest of the time its really dim (15-20%) but provides a nice glow to the tank without the lights which is quite enough to see everything but not produce algae. ;). My tanks are always plant heavy because they will compete with the algae and often will beat it out of the tank long as the plants are taken care of ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom