Cloudy Water

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
My main tank has suddenly got cloudy water. I have never experienced this before. I have checked for Ph, Ammonia and nitrite and all are well. The only thing I have done differently in the lasts couple of days is change the light tube because the other one packed in. I have no idea what could have done this. Can anyone shed any light on the subject? I'll make a start by stopping feeding which I only do once of an evening. I have a Fluval 4 filter which was cleaned approx 2 weeks ago. Thank you.

The picture doesn't really show the problem but I thiught you might want to see it anyway.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice tank! For some reason you are having a bacteria blooom. the beneficial bacteria is trying to catch up with the bioload of the tank. As soon as the bacteria catches up it will go away. When you clean your filter, if you throw all the media away and replace it with new you throw away a good amount of beneficial bacteria. If you rinse the media in used tank water you can preserve that bacteria and save money on replacing media so often.
Carol

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I don't use new media all the time and I do rinse in tank water. I tend to pull all the big bits of muck off and throw it and then rinse in tank water at the same time as doing a partial water change. This hasn't been done as I say for about 2/3 weeks. Glad you like the tank. The population has risen somewhat in the last month or so because I have introduced my baby mollies from the nursery tank as they are now big enough. (about 20 or so) but my tank is nearly 100 UK gallons so it can cope.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank sounds cool I think the bacteria bloom will clear up soon. Glad you service your filter thant way, it's so much better for your tank.
Carol

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah our tank gives us great pleasure. We also have a cold water bio orb with five cold water fish and a nursery tank which is currently housing two tiger barb fry. I say two cause that's all I've seen at any one time. Hopefully more are hiding in the plants and under the one ornament in the tank. They are only about 5 days old so still chances that there might be more. Fingers crossed!!!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whoa! Your tank is so cool! What was the estimated cost for setting up a tank like that?

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Thanks for that. I bought the tank some years ago for £400.00 and built it from there. It has probably costs over the years about £1000.00 but it's worth it. It's a family thing and we all enjoy it and we all contribute so it helps. That is about the going rate for a tank of this size in England. We recently bought a 10 gallon nursery tank and that cost £75.00. What is the going rate where you are?

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi - just an update for you. I got up this morning and all was clear. No ill fish and no cloudy water!!! I'll just put it down to one of those fish keeping anomalies that we all go through. Thanks for your help and comments everyone.

;D
Heather.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Patchspud said:
Hi there.  Thanks for that.  I bought the tank some years ago for £400.00 and built it from there.  It has probably costs over the years about £1000.00 but it's worth it.  It's a family thing and we all enjoy it and we all contribute so it helps.  That is about the going rate for a tank of this size in England. We recently bought a 10 gallon nursery tank and that cost £75.00. What is the going rate where you are?
An empty 10 gallon costs about $10 here and 20 gallons cost about $20-$30. I don't have any big tanks yet, but I will soon!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom