Cloudy Water

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The water in my 20 gallon is cloudy. It's a long story, but I took it down and set it back up yesterday, reusing all the water and sand, and the decorations. It was cloudy before I took it down. I'm running a well established Fluval 206 canister, and just added an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB on Friday. There is no carbon in the Fluval, but there is in the Aqueon. I know I need to do a water change, but will that help the cloudiness? I have attached photos of the test strips. Looks like there is some ammonia in the water. As for fish, there are currently five red eye tetras, one black neon, two Chinese algae eaters, and a zebra (nerite?) snail. By comparison, my 65 is crystal clear.

Attachments

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can rule out filter current stirring up the substrate, then the problem is likely a harmless bacterial bloom. It will eventually disappear. Be a good idea to do a WC, asap to knock down the ammonia. The general consensus between members is that test strips are not reliable.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cloudy Water: << Click here

The water in your tank might be cloudy due to dirt, sand, fish waste, particles, plant matter, and uneaten food floating around. Moreover, the particles might be way too small for your filter to catch. The stuff making your aquarium water cloudy can’t even be detected or stopped by the filter.

Try the information here first (make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter):

Why Is My Fish Tank Cloudy & How To Fix It

Build a DIY Water Polisher here. I built this and it works great in large tanks:

Here is the pump mentioned in the video.

For smaller tanks, try this:

Diy Micro Gravel Vacuum/Water Polisher

If all the above does not work… this will:

Acruel F

Start with 1 drop per gallon first, not the 2-4 drops recommended to start. Your water will get cloudy for about an hour or so and then start to clear. Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter. If you need another/higher dose 24-48 hours later, fine. All Acruel F does is clump the free floating particles together so your filter can now pick this up. Guaranteed this works wonders.

Keep your tank crystal clear? Chemi Pure Blue

Green water? Get a UV Sterilizer with flow control (13 watt) and set it to the lowest flow rate so the water stays in contact with the light the longest. Will clear in about 7 days then remove it.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom