Cloudy Water

ethand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of why this 40L tank keeps getting cloudy so quickly. It’s stocked with one Cory cat & probably ~50 red cherry shrimps. I did about a 60% water change only a day ago & have been doing regular big water changes since the problem started. I assume this is some kind of algae? I’ve tried giving the tank more light, less light, no light, etc., but nothing seems to be working... also not sure what the cause could be?!
Also my 48L tank right next to this tank (with a Betta & shrimp) is crystal clear.... they get the same treatment, lighting & water changes ‍♂
Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Ethan

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a bacterial bloom normally associated with new tanks and given time recetifies itself, your not doing your shrimp any favours doing big water changes. Have you checked your Nitraits & phosphates this to can have an affect on the bloom, when it happened to me it was a new tank and I just waited it out, others may have done it different who may jump in

ethand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. This tank has been set up for like 8 months with the current filter, substrate etc. So it’s definitely not a new tank... could it just be that I did too big of a water change, then? So if I just leave it (it’s been a few weeks already!) it’ll just be fine?

And yes, I know the shrimps don’t like big water changes, I did it over the course of several hours, slowly adding more water over time... I don’t seem to have lost any, so seems to have been fine!

ethand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishMommer said:
Get yourself a Green Killing Machine uv filter. I had this issue awhile back. Nothing helped until I put that in and then voila! Amazing clear water again. Best ever.
Thanks for that, I’ll see if I can find it locally... the water only seems to be getting murkier& murkier at the moment & I’m pretty concerned for the well-being of the Cory & shrimps!
That product won’t cause issues with my plants & shrimps?

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
As I recall even the cloudy water if that's what the problem is - would be an aesthetic issue. Someone else can confirm - but I believe 100% safe. The UV contained and the water pumps through it on the inside and then flows back into your tank. Mine went from whitish? to greenish white to just white (but I had it longer - months back and forth). I would clean and it would improve slightly only to come back. I had the GKM on for some days consistently and then it was So clear.

I did have an ADF and a frog with the fish all were fine (no live plants then), but again it is just UV where the water flows through. All the best to you. I ordered mine online, but saw it at Petsmart or Petco too.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just leave the tank alone and it will go away. No need to buy and extra products. Just do a 10% water change once a week. Large water changes just resets the problem.

ethand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys, thanks for the replies... I’ve tried just leaving it, and it did get slightly better for the first 2 days or so, before getting much, much worse!! I’ve had a very busy weekend & hadn’t looked in the tank besides feedings, but have just noticed my catfish also has some white lumps on her tail!! Those weren’t there at all 5 days ago! I suspect this is related to the (seemingly) poor water quality?

Attachments

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long are your lights on?

Have a go with Reeflowers AquaClear, that worked on one of my aquariums with persistent bloom and I left the lights off for 72 hours

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cloudiness. Green Killing Machine really does the trick.
If you want to try the other methods go
for it. I dealt with this for some time. In the end it was the only thing that solved the issue for good. Clean the gravel and cut back on food. That's the only other suggestion I have (based on past help and what worked for me).

Hard to say about the spots. If you are lucky just Ich. Aquarium salt and an ich med should help? Can't tell you much else on that one.

Good luck with whatever you try!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ethand said:
Hi guys, thanks for the replies... I’ve tried just leaving it, and it did get slightly better for the first 2 days or so, before getting much, much worse!! I’ve had a very busy weekend & hadn’t looked in the tank besides feedings, but have just noticed my catfish also has some white lumps on her tail!! Those weren’t there at all 5 days ago! I suspect this is related to the (seemingly) poor water quality?
Is it greenish now ?

richie.p said:
I'm sure this is something normal I've read with @DoubleDutch so now I've tagged him he will take a look when he logs on, best I can do
No that a white blotch behond the dorsal Richie. Don't exactly know what this is.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Is it greenish now ?

No that a white blotch behond the dorsal Richie. Don't exactly know what this is.
Remember now I knew there were white spots somewhere, thanks

ethand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies guys... the kind of always been a cloudy green-ish white-ish colour. (For the last 3 weeks or so now, that is. Tank was set up almost a year ago & has been crystal clear up until then!)
I’ve put my Cory in a large vase to medicate her. I’ll also try cleaning the gravel, but not too sure how that’ll go with all the shrimps in there... I’m kinda tempted to drain the tank & start from scratch, but I’m a bit worried about doing this with the shrimps?!

Green killing machine I’m tempted by, but I’m trying not to buy more stuff! Besides, it looks to only be available online overseas, meaning it’ll be 2-3 weeks before it arrives. I’ll check some pet stores after work & see if any of those stock it...

ethand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had wondered if the cloudiness could have been from un-eaten food?! I normally feed algae pellets, one in the morning & one at night, broken into 2-4 smaller pieces so that the Cory & the shrimps can all eat at the same time. Could it be that some of this has gone uneaten & has broken down & caused the tank to go cloudy? The cloudiness started around about when I got back from a week away. My housemate has fed the fish a few times before when I’ve been away with no dramas, but I’m wondering if maybe something went out of balance in that time/when I got back? Could algae pellets be causing the problems?

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
ethand said:
Green killing machine I’m tempted by, but I’m trying not to buy more stuff! Besides, it looks to only be available online overseas, meaning it’ll be 2-3 weeks before it arrives. I’ll check some pet stores after work & see if any of those stock it...
Ah, sorry. If we wish I could loan you mine! I wonder if you could find one second hand even? I think there are other brands of UV sterilizers too if you come across one. The GKM was recommended to me so that is what I got. I try to avoid the need for it, but I have used it as a just in case (like right now) to make sure something else doesn't go wrong in my tank. ;P

"Could it be that some of this has gone uneaten & has broken down & caused the tank to go cloudy? The cloudiness started around about when I got back from a week away." I think I also used the Algae tabs when my problem was happening? Can't say it was the tabs, but I remember someone else saying the had problems around the time of their use.

Excess food is a big factor. Mine for sure came about as I was trying to make sure my ADF was getting enough to eat. Since resolve.

Good luck to you. Yes, feeding less, 2-3 days in between would help. Cleaning the tank would help. Using a product that helps break down organic waste might help? (I used Microbe-Lift Special Blend.) Less light can help too?

Hope that helps!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom