cloudy water

smokeypea

Reaction score
I just did a water change in my Oscars tank, i cleaned the filter and vacumned the gravel as ususal, Ozzie is VERY messy so i have the clean his house very well, i added some aquarium salt and stress coat as i was advised at lfs cos he had a injury on his head, that by the way is healed up nicely, but the water is very cloudy, never had that problem before in his tank, only difference is using Stress Coat, i cleaed my other tank out and its fine used Prime for that, always got really clear water and the water test readings are fine, what can i do? Thanks for any advice oh and i have noticed in Ozzies tank, on the glass there are patches of tiny white things, very small, i clean them off and they come back a few days later. Anyone know what theyare and how to get rid of them? cant put an algae eater in cos i tried that, Ozzie ate it YUCK.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How did you clean your filter? Sounds like you maybe having a bit of bacteria bloom from cleaning too well I really wouldn't clean the filter and vacuum the gravel on the same day as this is where most of your beneficial bacteria is.
the little white things on the glass: are they some type of algae or tiny little white worms?
Carol

smokeypea

Reaction score
the things on the glass arent worms, they look like algae although didnt think that was white, i have 2 bio wheels which i dont clean, the filter cartridges were really yucky so swished them round in used tank water, i didnt clean the impeller today, i have to vacumne the gravel cos the Oscar leaves soooooo much muck, i cant understanbd it cos i didnt do anything i havent done before and the water has always been good, i am not sure but i thought i would be ok cleaning the filter cartridges well cos i have the bio wheels for the good bacteria, dont know if this is right or not. Oh and the white things they seem to move about i mean they keep in one place on the glass but they seem to sway about , or maybe thats cos of the water movement lol.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably just water movement making the little thingys move I know Oscars are messy but they are dears. If your swishing them it should be ok. I thought you changed the filter media. Sorry. Maybe larger water changes would get rid of the thingys on the glass.
Do water tests and see if maybe tomorrow it's cleared up. What size tank is Ozzie in?
Carol

smokeypea

Reaction score
Thanks Butterfly, yes Oscars are great fish, he is almost human lol, i must love him cos i go out collecting bugs for him, crickets and stuff YUCKKKK . Anything for Ozzie, he is in a 55 gallon tank, on his own, tried a algae eater, but Ozzie ate it : i ususally swish the cartridges out but today i did change them cos they were gross, but thought cos i have 2 bio wheels i would be ok , good bacteria wise in mean, i change his water twice a week, about 25-30% i try not to feed him too much, but he begs and almost jumps out of the tank, actually he takes food out of my head which is neat.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a thought ......

---or---

Just in case the thrill of the hunt is getting old.  Or keep the information for bad weather futures.   

Til then have fun.

Rose

smokeypea

Reaction score
Thanks for info on crickets, i did buy some canned crickets which he loves, you can buy live ones at Petsmart so if i need to i know where to go, as for Daphnia he wont eat it, even dried shrimp, loves little cooked chicken and crickets, alsthough he gets bloodworms, beefheart and other things. Going ton test water tomorrow, hope its ok, seems like i just get things going right and something else happens and i am back were i started. Its so wonderful to have people here that can help though and i have learnd a lot from this site. Will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep us posted Gunnie has oscars also and she does a 50% on a 100G tank every week and talks about how messy they are, although she wouldn't give then up for the world . She's out fishstore hopping with Dino this weekend so we won't hear from her until late tonight or tomorrow. LOL
Carol

smokeypea

Reaction score
I bought another bio wheel filter today, so got 2 running and airstone, the water seems to be clearing thank goodness, i have always had clear water thats why i couldnt understand why it went cloudy cos i didnt do anything different than i ususlly do, i think with another filter it will be better, Ozzie is much better now, he has healed up, and my husband caught a worm for him today GROSS, thought i would have to cut it up MORE GROSS but he ate it up really quickley and looked for more lol, yep i love my Oscar . thanks for help.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the extra filter will be a big help in your tank. You do realize that a lot of folks will tell you that 55 gal. is just too small for even 1 oscar? If you can, shoot for a 75 if you can in the future. As he grows, he will eventually have trouble turning around in a 55 because he will be longer than the tank is deep from front to back. Also, a bigger tank would allow you to add a pleco later on. You will have to get one big enough not to be eaten, and give the pleco a good hiding place. You cannot have overkill on filtration on an oscar tank, so the new filter is excellent. Your feeding of so many different things is also excellent. You have a very lucky fish to have such a great owner that cares so much about him. It sounds like you are doing everything right! Good job!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom