Cloudy Water!

Kr1306

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey..

So I changed about 40% of the water and cleaned the rocks in my tank 4 days ago. 1-2 days later the water went cloudy. I decided to change 10% of the water again and it went back to normal. Yesterday the water went cloudy again! Was a 40% water change too much? I had a lot of algae growth on the rocks as I'd been unwell and hadn't kept on top of the tank properly, so I felt a larger water change was needed.

pH- 7.5
Ammonia- 0.1
Alkalinity- 5
Nitrite- 0.5-0.10
Nitrate- 0.10
Hardness- 7

Where do I go from here? What do I need to do? I can't seem to get rid of the cloudiness.

My tank is 54 litre with 6 Zebra Danios and 3 five striped Barbs (in process of getting 3 more Barbs). The danios are fine, but the Barbs are more inactive than usual and keep losing their stripes. I know 3 of them isn't enough and that may be affecting them - I'm getting 3 more this week, but they're usually really happy and vibrant when the water is ok.

I use Tetra Aqua safe when changing water. I'm going to buy some Tetra Safe Start tomorrow.

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi there! It looks like your tank is going through a mini cycle. Doing pwc will likely just make it cloudier, and the water will clear up on its own in about a week.

The cloudiness is bacteria in the water. My guess is when you cleaned the rocks, etc you disturbed the subatrate which released ammonia from decaying poop, fish food, etc into the tank. Once your filter bacteria catches up, the cloudiness will vanish.

So basically... dont do any mkre WC until the water turns clear again, but keep an eye on your parameters.

Also as i side nite, yku have some stocking issues besides the barbs if you would like to discuss them.

Kr1306

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
Hi there! It looks like your tank is going through a mini cycle. Doing pwc will likely just make it cloudier, and the water will clear up on its own in about a week.

The cloudiness is bacteria in the water. My guess is when you cleaned the rocks, etc you disturbed the subatrate which released ammonia from decaying poop, fish food, etc into the tank. Once your filter bacteria catches up, the cloudiness will vanish.

So basically... dont do any mkre WC until the water turns clear again, but keep an eye on your parameters.

Also as i side nite, yku have some stocking issues besides the barbs if you would like to discuss them.
Thanks! Would you recommend treating the water with anything? Or anything in the meantime that will reduce the stress on the Barbs?

Yeah sure, I'm happy to discuss?

Thanks!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kr1306 said:
Thanks! Would you recommend treating the water with anything? Or anything in the meantime that will reduce the stress on the Barbs?

Yeah sure, I'm happy to discuss?

Thanks!
Just treat the water with your normal water conditioner. If you have an air stone/bubbler then use that as well, but your barbs should perk up again soon.

So you have a 54l tank (13g?) And plan to have 6 danios and 6 barbs. Ideally they would need a larger tank since they are all very active fish (3ft long tank or larger).

Kr1306

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
Just treat the water with your normal water conditioner. If you have an air stone/bubbler then use that as well, but your barbs should perk up again soon.

So you have a 54l tank (13g?) And plan to have 6 danios and 6 barbs. Ideally they would need a larger tank since they are all very active fish (3ft long tank or larger).
Thanks for your help! I only use aqua safe to dechlorinate the tap water.. would tetra safestart, Crystal water or filter active be beneficial?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kr1306 said:
Thanks for your help! I only use aqua safe to dechlorinate the tap water.. would tetra safestart, Crystal water or filter active be beneficial?
Those are all starter bacterial culture. They wouldnt hurt, but theres no benefit at this point either.
I would just wait for it to clear on its own. If you want you might fast your fish tomorrow, but thats about it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom