Cloudy Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TDMac, Apr 26, 2017.

1. TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

I have a fully cycled 65gal tank. My current parameters are pH 7, nitrites 0ppm, ammonia 0ppm, nitrates 10ppm. My tank has a very faint haze. What causes this?

2. wapooshe

wapoosheValued MemberMember

if its very faint it could just be very tiny bubbles that float around slowly making it seem cloudy. If its not bubbles it could possibly be a bacterial bloom but you said you were fully cycled. Though, it's not out of possibility. If you never had cloudy water before and this is your first then its likely its a bacterial bloom. Cloudy water isn't harmful most of time and I wouldn't worry about it. It will go away soon enough.

3. Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

3 things come to mind.

Either you're lacking in filtration and its a serious waste buildup
    What filter do you use?

Maybe its substrate or somthing you've added
    Have you added anything to the tank lately? like driftwood? New substrate? did you add more Bio-media in the filter?

Or its a bacterial bloom.
    95% of the time a milky/hazy water is bacterial bloom.
    I'd test your water again to be sure those are your parameters. The cloudy water can indicate an imbalance or lost cycle.

4. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

I think it's pretty much always been cloudy....during cycle and after. During the cycle I figured it was bacteria and ignored it. But now I just want clear water lol. The haze doesn't show well in this pic....

33f56db3256c60c6a0a2a85278461380.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

I think it's pretty much always been cloudy....during cycle and after. During the cycle I figured it was bacteria and ignored it. But now I just want clear water lol.

6. Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

I agree, water looks clear from that angle.
    Try taking a picture from end to end.

7. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

40e8b3ed2b370b5f36067108270538ed.jpg

Good call. You can see it that way

I have an Aquaclear 110. Substrate and decorations have not changed. I wondered what those chemicals were that cleared water. Was afraid to use them too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. wapooshe

Just wanted to say your tank is awesome looking :D
    Could it be your substrate that has been producing the cloudy water? It seems like those rocks could of been dusty if you didn't rinse thoroughly. I know that when I got my rocks I rinsed about 5-7 times per batch and no problems here!

your filtration seems good to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

Thank you!!!

I have 100lbs of rocks in here and it literally took me half a day to rinse them because I refused to use them until the water running off them was clear lol. I promise it's not my substrate. Although sometimes I wish the rocks were smaller.

10. wapooshe

anything in your tank natural? decaying plants can lead to some cloudy water. Decaying food can do the same. How long have you had your tank for?

11. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

No. Right now plants are all artificial. I've had the tank about 2.5 months. Just put fish in over the weekend. Cycle took forever lol.

12. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

I am having an issue with my Panda corys only. I posted this thread this morning. I wonder if my issues with them are related or if it's just coincidence since my other fish seem fine.

Need Corydoras Help
    Need Corydoras Help

13. wapooshe

props to you for doing a fishless cycle! I couldn't really say about the cloudy water other than bubbles. Seems like your tank produces a lot of them. To better visualize why your tank would look cloudy from bubbles imagine having a half drunken water bottle. If you shake it a lot it looks cloudy, because bubbles formed as you were shaking.

14. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

Makes sense lol. It's not horrible. And I only have the light on about 6 hours during the evening so I don't notice the cloudiness so bad.

15. wapooshe

glad we were able to pin the problem. If the cloudiness is still a bit irritating. You can look up videos that explain how to reduce amount of bubbles that come from airpump. Otherwise, just keep looking at your tank from the front. :)

16. OP
    OP
    TDMac

TDMacNew MemberMember

Looks like all I needed was live plants. I put live plants in and all of a sudden the water cleared up! 08d1714b9816a3b4c65eac3ad0a335e8.jpg