Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Peach, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

hello,

First off, I'm brand new, and this is t being posted because I want to get in this expensive hobby, but my roommate recently (idioticly) bought a 4L fish tank with a filter, ran it for a day and yesterday added four amino (spelling?) shrimp.

There's a moss ball in it, silk plant, cave and gravel. She decided to drop fish pellets in there but they didn't eat it so I told her to take them out which she did, but she missed one and this morning, the water is cloudy.

I've been reading and it sounds like a bacterial bloom?
    I took the pallet she missed out but what do I do now?
    Is it to be left or what?
    I told her to get some Tetra Safe Start as I read it's good for new tanks?
    Is this bloom harmful to the shrimp?
    Will it clear by itself?
    She's got two more coming next week, is it safe to add them?

No yelling please, this isn't my mistake, I'm trying to fix it and not let these things die.

No I can't take them back, she got them offline, no the pet shop can't have them because it's 20 miles away and we don't drive, no I don't know anyone with a fish tank who could take them, no we cannot afford a bigger tank.

Sorry but people have been very VERY rude to me on other forums, I can't say it enough that this wasn't my mistake and how bloody mad I am at her for doing this without doing any research. But advice is needed. Thank you.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

I recommend reading up on the nitrogen cycle.
    I would get some TTS to speed up the cycle and some seachem prime to help detoxify some of the ammonia and/or nitrite.
    Do you have a test kit?
    Can you cancel the order for more shrimp? These guys get to 6cm a 4 litre tank really isn't big enough. Is there any way you could rehome them, cycle the tank then get cherry shrimp or any other neocardinia shrimp?
    Sorry I've suggested rehoming them but her tank isn't suitable for them to live in and it isn't really fair. I understand you are doing your best to help them and I applaud you for that but a 4 litre uncycled tank is not ok for these guys to live in.

3. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

Thanks for your reply, but like I pointed out no, I can't rehome them. I'm stuck with them. At least for now.

Got the TSS coming. Yes I know about the NC. No I cannot afford a test kit. We're literally broke. But you didn't really answer my question on why the water is cloudy and how to fix it.

Cheers.

4. BottomDweller

The water is probably cloudy due a bacterial bloom because the tank isn't cycled. It will go away once the tank is cycled. I would recommend water changes, not just to remove cloudy water but also to keep shrimp safe.

5. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

I was told by someone else WCs would just prolong the cycling?

6. EliteJY995

EliteJY995Valued MemberMember

No it can actually help the cycle as most beneficial bacteria are in the filter and not the water

7. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

Ones shed his/her skin, which is good right?

Ok thanks, I'll get a chunk of water taken out a little later.

How much water should I actually replace?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  8. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

I'd do ~25% every day until you know the tank is cycled.

9. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Okay, first thing AT FISHLORE WE DONT YELL AT PEOPLE! (See that's supposed to be funny, me yelling at you saying we dont yell at people here).

Anyway, Welcome to FishLore! Don't worry about people yelling or being rude to you. We have no tolerance for that here.

Cloudy water is very common in newly set up tanks, and the water will clear up on it's own in time. Here's a link to an article about cloudy water if you want to do some reading:

I've never kept shrimp, but from what I understand, shrimp have a very low bioload, which may make cycling the tank difficult. SafeStart is a bottle of the bacteria that cycles a tank. And as you may know, ammonia is the food source for the ammonia converting bacteria. With such a low bioload, the bacteria may actually starve off.

I think some people have kept shrimp in uncycled tanks, by having live plants in the tank. The plants are able to soak up all the ammonia that the shrimp produce. But you would be much better served getting advice from someone who actually has kept shrimp.

Best of luck!

10. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

Thanks for all the replies, it's very nice to know I can get some help without being YELLED AT. LOL.

I'm a bit confused though, the article says doing water changes will make it worse?

11. jdhef

Yes, water changes supposedly lengthen the amount of time the tank stays cloudy. Generally cloudiness appears when a tank is cycling and keeping ammonia and nitrite levels low thru water changes is much more important then the cloudiness, so in those situations you need to just bite the bullet and live with the cloudiness until it clears up.

12. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

I've done a 25% WC and added three capful of TSS to the water. The shrimp seem rather happy mind you.

13. jdhef

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

TSS is very finicky and needs to be used in an exact way. That exact way is as follows:

When starting a brand new tank (no fish in water yet)
    Fill tank with conditioned water
    Wait 24 hours
    Add entire bottle of TSS and add some fish
    Do nothing for next 14 days other than lightly feed fish
    On day 14 test your water, and if all worked correctly...you've cycled

When adding to a tank which already had fish in it:
    Do large water chnage(s) with conditioned water to get ammonia as close to 0ppm as possible
    Wait 24 hours
    Add entire bottle of TSS
    Do nothing for next 14 days other than lightly feed fish
    On day 14 test your water, and if all worked correctly...you've cycled

The 24 hour wait time is very important because water conditioners will interfere with TSS if the TSS is added less than 24 hours after a water conditioner was used.

Also, it is important to use an entire bottle (they come in different sizes, so you find a size that is suitable for your tank)

You cannot perform water changes for 14 days after adding TSS or it will cause the TSS to fail.

So sadly doing a water change and adding 3 capfuls of TSS really will not work. If you want to perform water changes and add a product daily until cycled, you would want to use SeaChem's Stability.

14. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

I'm not using Prime, I'm using Tetra Aqua Safe and apparently it had no effect on TSS, prime only effects it because of the biding materials in it or something, or so I've read.

But to be on the safe side, I'll wait 24 hours and then I'll add the bottle and leave it for 14 days. Hopefully the shrimp live.

Also, I think an air pump is needed, as it's a tiny tank, what does everyone recommend for it?

Does anyone have an experience with this:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  15. jdhef

Actually any water conditioner that removes chloramines (and every water conditioner I am aware of does remove chloramines) will interfere with TSS.

Here's a link to a thread that has an email exchange with Tetra where the Tetra rep states that any water conditioner that removes chloramines will kill TSS:
    Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart
    It's a pretty good read and should be well worth your time.

16. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

Like I said, I'm waiting the 24 hours before adding the rest of the bottle. You have to remember it's only a 4 L tank, I don't think overdosing on anything is very wise at this point. But I'll take the advice and see how it goes.

So the cloudiness disappeared overnight and that was without be really doing anything other than doing a tiny WC of 500 MLS and adding five caps of TSS. Maybe leaving things basically alone is best sometimes.

Thanks for all your replies and advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  17. BottomDweller

You can't really overdose on TSS. It's filter bacteria, any excess will just die off. It's helpful you can't have too much.

18. OP
    OP
    Peach

PeachValued MemberMember

Someone with betta or whatever its called, said that they took that advice in an 8 L tank and it caused a load of problems, something like white snow appeared in there.

Anyway, thanks for the advice but I'm just going to let them be to be honest. the waters cleared and they seem happy enough, had a few moults and they're active and eating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice