Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by shusband, Jul 22, 2015.

1. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

My 29 gallon that was been up and running for almost a year and has had minimal problems has become cloudy. I've done a normal 20-30% water changes with little effect. It's a whitish cloudiness. Any guesses as to the cause? It has been clouding for a week or two.

2. Ewest

Ewest Valued Member Member

This sounds like a bacterial bloom. They can be caused by excess nutrients.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Bacterial Bloom is common in new tanks I believe, this tank has been running for almost a year. To the OP, do you clean any media, filters? Do you use water conditioner?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    shusband

No water conditioner. I clean filter ~6 months haven't in 2-3. Change filter media once a month. Last changed 2-3 weeks ago. Added 3 new pearl gourami but don't think that is the cause. I switched food around the same time. Marine land shrimp wafers now.

5. AquaticBrandon

You're supposed to use water conditioner. Chlorine kills all of your beneficial bacteria. Also changing your media means your tank re cycles. You're possibly going through a bacterial bloom.

6. OP
    OP
    shusband

I'm on well water. Not tap. No chlorine.

7. AquaticBrandon

Oh okay, that makes sense. Do you completely change out all your media?

8. Ewest

A bacterial bloom can happen in established tanks. While not as often as in new tanks it still can after a filter cleaning, or after stirring up aquarium gravel or substrate resulting in an excessive release of organic materials into the water column.

Did this happen right after a cleaning OP?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  9. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

You should just swish your filter media in tank water in a bucket rather than replace it. You're losing BB by changing it every month.

10. OP
    OP
    shusband

I switch one of the two, since they have the carbon. I did just pull out a decorative plastic tree stump thing that seemed to have a good bit of waste in it, I vacuumed the bulk of it out. Any treatment for the cloudiness or just give it time?

Happened a week or two after cleaning.

11. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you may have resetted the cycle when you changed out cartridges. The bacteria went with the old cartridge.

12. OP
    OP
    shusband

Just one of the filter cartridges isn't enough bacteria? My filter fits two. I thought that one would hold enough bacteria while the other is reseeded. How should I keep the carbon fresh to maintain the tannins from driftwood?

13. Ewest

Tannis is not bad just makes the water brown. How long has the driftwood been in the tank?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. OP
    OP
    shusband

The current piece is new. I know tannins aren't harmful I just don't like them with black sand lol. 2 of my 4 tanks are highly tannic.

Anyone know how I can clear my water or just give it time?

15. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of filter are you using? Maybe you can add either a biofoam or a water polishing pad.

16. KarenLM

When I was using carbon, I just dumped it out of the filter cartridge, swished the cartridge in tank water and put fresh carbon in. I didn't change the entire cartridge.

17. OP
    OP
    shusband

I'm using a tetra HOB. All my other tanks run aqueon HOB.

I'll try that next time. Just the carbon is cheaper.

18. Ewest

If the driftwood is small enough you can boil it until the tannis is removed. Just boil it for 5-10 minuets, dump out the water and repeat until the water no longer turns brown.

19. OP
    OP
    shusband

Did that. It doesn't remove all of it. I did boil this piece but don't want any tannins at all. Does anyone know how I can clear my water of the white cloudiness?

20. KarenLM

White cloudiness may be a bacterial bloom - how long are your lights on each day? Around 8 is good.

You could try turning the lights off entirely for a day and see if the cloudiness improves. Bacteria need the light.

A friend of mine ended up doing a complete black-out for 3-4 days to clear bacterial bloom. Blanket over the tank, no light, no food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice