Cloudy Water

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My 29 gallon that was been up and running for almost a year and has had minimal problems has become cloudy. I've done a normal 20-30% water changes with little effect. It's a whitish cloudiness. Any guesses as to the cause? It has been clouding for a week or two.

Ewest

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A bacterial bloom can happen in established tanks. While not as often as in new tanks it still can after a filter cleaning, or after stirring up aquarium gravel or substrate resulting in an excessive release of organic materials into the water column.

Did this happen right after a cleaning OP?

Last edited by a moderator:

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I switch one of the two, since they have the carbon. I did just pull out a decorative plastic tree stump thing that seemed to have a good bit of waste in it, I vacuumed the bulk of it out. Any treatment for the cloudiness or just give it time?

Happened a week or two after cleaning.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think you may have resetted the cycle when you changed out cartridges. The bacteria went with the old cartridge.

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just one of the filter cartridges isn't enough bacteria? My filter fits two. I thought that one would hold enough bacteria while the other is reseeded. How should I keep the carbon fresh to maintain the tannins from driftwood?

Ewest

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tannis is not bad just makes the water brown. How long has the driftwood been in the tank?

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The current piece is new. I know tannins aren't harmful I just don't like them with black sand lol. 2 of my 4 tanks are highly tannic.

Anyone know how I can clear my water or just give it time?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What kind of filter are you using? Maybe you can add either a biofoam or a water polishing pad.

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just one of the filter cartridges isn't enough bacteria? My filter fits two. I thought that one would hold enough bacteria while the other is reseeded. How should I keep the carbon fresh to maintain the tannins from driftwood?
When I was using carbon, I just dumped it out of the filter cartridge, swished the cartridge in tank water and put fresh carbon in. I didn't change the entire cartridge.

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm using a tetra HOB. All my other tanks run aqueon HOB.

I'll try that next time. Just the carbon is cheaper.

Ewest

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the driftwood is small enough you can boil it until the tannis is removed. Just boil it for 5-10 minuets, dump out the water and repeat until the water no longer turns brown.

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did that. It doesn't remove all of it. I did boil this piece but don't want any tannins at all. Does anyone know how I can clear my water of the white cloudiness?

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
White cloudiness may be a bacterial bloom - how long are your lights on each day? Around 8 is good.

You could try turning the lights off entirely for a day and see if the cloudiness improves. Bacteria need the light.

A friend of mine ended up doing a complete black-out for 3-4 days to clear bacterial bloom. Blanket over the tank, no light, no food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom