Cloudy water

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by tetra2015, Jul 21, 2015.

1. t

tetra2015 New Member Member

It's there a reason any time I do a water the water gets cloudy for about a week? I treat with aquasafe appropriately.

2. D

Deesk06 Valued Member Member

You are stirring everything up. So all the junk and dirt and what not is all floating around. If you have sand as substrate then that may not be cleaned yet totally and will just go away as you do more water changes OR if you have sand then it could be so fine that it's just floating every time you swoosh the water around from changing it and filling it

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

A week sounds like kind of a long time. My water sometimes gets cloudy for an hour or two from stirring up after a water change or substrate cleaning, but not a week. I'm not familiar with Aquasafe, personally.

I had persistent cloudy water for a while, but I added activated carbon to my filter, and that cleared everything up.

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Could it possibly be a bacteria bloom? Every water change sounds often but a week for a bacteria bloom to clear up is normal.

5. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

How powerful is your filter? Maybe the filter isn't strong enough. I agree with ClearEyes. I've added carbon in my tank before to lessen the murky yellowish color (but now I like the tea-colored look because I know the tannins are doing their job haha).

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Is this your 30 gallon? Did you do anything to the filters or media?

7. a

allisong New Member Member

When you add water, hold your hand under the flow of the bucket or whatever you use, avoid creating a whirlpool or ripple. This is bad for your fish as well as being a massive nasty to your substrate. Also could mean your substrate needs a vacuum. Or any of the above. Your fish will thank you for the spread of the water as they'll get a nice boost of oxygen. My molly's get particularly excited around water change day. Like a dog going for walkies

Sent from my D6603 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    t

Yes 30 gallon and change filter media monthly

9. AquaticBrandon

Do you mean like changing the filter cartridge? Or like replacing media every month like carbon. It's possible you're going through a bacterial bloom because if you change all your media every month, it's possible your tank keeps re-cycling.

10. OP
    OP
    t

I do change the media monthly but it's made to be thrown away. I have an aqueon quiet flow 30 with a bio grid in it so that should keep bacteria?

11. ClearEyes

That's what they say to sell you more filter cartridges. You should just do a quick rinse of your media in tank water once a month. The media is where all your bacteria lives. Every time you swap it out, you're starting your tank cycle all over again.

12. AquaticBrandon

Yeah, they tell you that you need to swap out your filter cartridges every month so they can make more money. You don't have to change them every month because that's where your bacteria lives. Like they stated above, every time you throw away your media your tank is re cycling. That's why it's cloudy because it's going through a bacterial bloom.

13. ClearEyes

That brings up another question, though...I'm assuming the filter cartridge won't last forever and will eventually fall apart. What's the best way to transition to a new one? In my HOB, Ithink there's enough room to shove another cartridge behind the main cartridge slot. After a few months, should I stick another one back there to develop a colony in there in the event that my current one breaks down?

14. AquaticBrandon

I stopped using filter cartridges. Instead I switched to some sponges and ceramic rings. But yeah, you can shove another filter cartridge in the back of the filter and let it run for a while. Then you can switch the old cartridge that is falling apart.

15. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

What most people do is they cut what's left of the cartridge up and stick it onto the new cartridge for a few weeks.

16. ClearEyes

But won't the contents of the cartridge just spill into the tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice