Cloudy water?

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Stacie H., Mar 20, 2006.

1. Stacie H.New MemberMember

I was out of town for a week, and came back to a minor algae problem. I got that cleaned up and did a water change. It looked pretty clear and the levels were good, so I added a few more fish (platys) to the tank (36 gal. with 2 plecos). Since then, it's been really, really cloudy.

I can't tell if it's still algae, or if it's a bacterial bloom. Sometimes it looks a little green, sometimes it doesn't. Over the past 2 days, I've changed out almost 50% of the water.

Should I let it go a few days and see what happens, or continue to change out water? The levels always seem to be the same; though the alkalinity is a bit high. I thought I'd try some distilled water next....that seemed to help the last time.

Any suggestions?

2. JasonWell Known MemberMember

Is your tank in direct sunlight?

If your levels are normal it could be a green algae infestation.

Is your filtration/aeration adequate?

3. Stacie H.New MemberMember

Not direct sunlight. The tank is in the corner of the room, by a window, but the blinds are always shut. The room does get a lot of natural light, but most of that comes from the adjacent room (kitchen) and is not direct. And I have a background on my tank, so I thought that would help w/ the possibility of any direct sunlight.

I have a bio-wheel filter that is rated for a 50 gal tank. I would think that on a 36 gal. tank, it would be adequate.

I came back to mention that a lot of the haziness seems to be actually ON the inside of the glass, despite scrubbing. I have both a long handled glass scrubber, and a magnetic one.

????

4. JasonWell Known MemberMember

So, on the glass. ok and it wont come off even with algae wiper. is it coarse. Also do you have any algae eaters in your tank.(pleco/bristlnose, chinese algae eater, siamese algae eater etc.)

5. Stacie H.New MemberMember

I have two rubbermouth plecos and two apple snails (though only one is very active).

I put my hand in the tank and wiped the inside of the glass, but nothing.

6. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

If the tank is glass try a new razer blade

7. Stacie H.New MemberMember

Problem fixed! After work I put in some Algae Fix and some Clear Water (I think that's what it's called). Within an hour, the tank was crystal clear and all creatures are going full speed ahead! Well, everyone except for Jolliffe (small golden apple snail)...he's hiding as usual...

8. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

good job

9. JasonWell Known MemberMember

Good job indeed

10. Stacie H.New MemberMember

Thanks. I was starting to get discouraged. I've spent most of this evening just sitting and watching them all...the tank is amazing!