cloudy water

1. carolastar Initiate Member

hey i got a new 5 gallon tank with 4 painted tetra, the water is cloudy, the fish stay in the bottom and don't eat.
    i rinse the pebles, i rinse the filter i'm going nuts
    everything is very small
    i left the water rest for 2 days before and then it turn cloudy

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

First of all, Never rinse the filter in a cycling tank, it destoys bacteria that is settled in there required to turn ammonia (most harmful) into nitrites (still harmful), and then nitrites into nitrates (a little less harmful in low numbers).

Couple Questions:

How long have you had this tank?

Did it cycle before you added fish?

Do you have a test kit? What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature?)

Do you have a heater?

Water is generally normally cloudy when a tank is still being cycled, and it is normal, but when you have fish in the tank also, you really have to watch your water parameters. Most likely, daily 30% water changes, will cure this problem (but it will still take time, so be patient). If you need any help, just let us know, and we will be glad to help you.

Please let us know more about your tank though ;D

3. carolastar Initiate Member

hey thanks for answering!!!
    so far i have a tank for 2 weeks and the fishes are doing great!!! i have not change the water though but i was thinking on doing it today
    also i have to change the filter
    does it harms the fish changing the filter wile they are in the water?
    they really seem to be doing good i'm not so nervous now
    i have a 5 gallon tank 4 painted tetra a heater
    also the water usually goes low very often and i have to put more every day..
    thanks

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I would definately do the regular water changes, but skip on doing the filter media change -- you will lose beneficial bacteria

5. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

another reason they may be laying at the bottem is b/c they were injected with color

6. carolastar Initiate Member

so you say i should not change the filter even if it looks very brown the white part?

7. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

clean the floss in used tank water

8. carolastar Initiate Member

sorry to be so ignorant
    what is the floss?

9. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

the white stuff you were talking about :)