Cloudy Water

1. Tetryon Member Member

Hello FishLore!

I've had cloudy water for about 2 months now, and have been trying to figure out the cause and need some help from you!
    Established tank, no new fish

Using water clarifier is bad! Ive scrubbed the inside of my canister filter in tank water to get all the gunk out.
    After the scrubbing, I used some filter floss in my canister to remove all the fine particles.
    Changed the carbon in the canister filter.

So: It's not fine particles(Floss). It's not chemicals(Carbon).

I've determined the following:

1. Ammonia/Nitrite = 0 (Has been cycled for almost a year.)
    2. Nitrate= 40-80 PPM. I realize this is high and I'm doing 20% water changes daily. (Is this the best idea to get nitrates down?)

At this point, the tint of the cloudiness has gone from (very slight) brown(green?) to completely white.
    I heard that excess of phosphates could cause cloudy water.
    I used my phosphate test kit and see that my tap water is 1-2PPM and the water in the tank is 5-10PPM which seems extremely high.

3. I put SeaChem SeaGel in place of the regular carbon to reduce the number of phosphates. Its now down to 2-5PPM in the tank, which is still high.
    Slightly noticeable difference in cloudiness. Got a little bit better. Still quite cloudy.

Would phosphate measurement of below .5PPM cause water to clear up? I've been thinking of purchasing SeaChem PhosGuard to increase the effectiveness.

Your thoughts?

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

With a milk ish colored water its typically a bacterial bloom of some kind and will usually work thru itself.

If I may ask, what is the pH of your tank?

3. Tetryon Member Member

pH is 7.4 - 7.6

Some more background:

I originally had to cycle this tank using crushed coral/shells to keep the pH above 7 so bacteria had ammonia to use and not ammonium. Otherwise pH below 7 caused ammonium and no cycling.
    At some point 2 months ago I decided to take out the shells and pH evened out at 6.6. That's when cloudiness started.

I put the coral/shells back. Took 3 days for the pH to reach where it is now, the fish were/are OK. Ammonia at zero suggests tank is cycled properly at the current time.

4. Tetryon Member Member

Could a blue LED moonlight that is left on 24 hours a day (in combination with regular lights on for 12 hours) cause this?

5. Tetryon Member Member

Update! :;banaman

I ended up getting an AA Green Killing Machine (9 Watt) for my 29g High Tank. I read around about the potential hazards, and thought about it. I figured if the ammonia didn't rise from the bacteria in the water column being killed, then there's not an excess of ammonia at all.
    Over the 5-6 days it took to get the water crystal clear, I tested the ammonia and it never rose above zero.
    The tank was cloudy for approx. 2-3 months before this.

Just wanted to share in the event other people are having this same annoying issue. Hope this helps!

If you are cycling your tank, you probably shouldn't use this.
    Would highly recommend this to anyone having cloudy water issue but keep in mind I tried all this before resorting to a UV sterilizer as a last resort:

Already cycled, avoiding overfeeding, daily 20% water changes (for nitrate/phosphate removal), weekly gravel vacs, lowered lighting times, removed extra lights, used water clarifiers (stopped after first try), used crushed coral (for pH raise), used filter floss, used activated carbon, used phosphate remover (Seachem SeaGel).

Please enjoy some pictures of my results!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]