Cloudy water..think I know why but not what to do.

1. Terscelle Member Member

So I have had two betta fishes, two separate tanks 2 1/2 gallons each. . They weren't doing well so I moved them to different containers for now to redo the tanks. I've changed the gravel in one completely. Washed the gravel in both, washed off the decorations. Redid the decorations, let the water sit out for over a day with Betta Plus conditioner in it and API Quickstart as I feel bad that they are in smaller containers. Was hoping to put them in tomorrow morning. Tonight I noticed the one was clearer earlier and now is a bit cloudy. Suddenly it hit me that I had slathered hand lotion on my hands earlier and hand stuck my hands in the water to try to attach something below the gravel.

Could that be why it is hazier than the other and what can I do about it? My poor fish are swimming in little things and I feel bad for them. These are the parameters of the water in the cloudy tank:
    Temperature: Roughly 81 F
    Ph 7.4
    Ammonia 1.0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0

At leasts these are what my brother thought they looked like; We used the API Master Water test set.

Once I figure out how to upload its picture I will.

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/how-do-i/169875-how-attach-pictures-posts.html

I have not used quickstart, but ime, bettas are horrible for cycling a fish tank. Their fins usually get torn and tattered even with low amounts of ammonia or nitrites. Many people on this forum use Tetra safe start or stability but I have heard of people using quickstart successfully but not with bettas. Can you post pics of your bettas?

The haze could also be the abundance of heterotrophic bacteria. This is common in new tanks.

3. Terscelle Member Member

Here are the tanks. I haven't added the fish back in yet but I can show older pics of them from before I redid the tanks. Let me know.

[​IMG]

4. Terscelle Member Member

[​IMG]

5. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Hmmm... Might not be bacterial bloom. Idk if it could be a contamination or not though.

6. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

You are cycling, cloudy water is normal. It is the bacteria.

7. Terscelle Member Member

I'm thinking its contamination because of lotion on my hands I had put on earlier. So...what do you think? Frequent water changes of small amounts? larger ones? totally redo?

8. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

If you have activated carbon filtration it will remove it. No, I think it's just cycling. However, if it REALLY bothers you. For now, you can buy acrurel on amazon. I'm like you. I just couldn't let it be lol, but yes it's cycling.

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I had cloudy water when I put safe start in my 2.5. It cleared up and I have super clear water right now

10. Skyy2112 Member Member

Definitely looks like bacteria bloom, if you think its a contam., just do a large water change, (and add carbon if you dont have it)