cloudy water, not the typical question.....................

Jim W

Reaction score
I recently set up my 38 gallon again (a little over a month ago) and I now have a cloudy water issue, a bacterial bloom I guess it's called. Now in all my years of fish keeping, I have never had this problem..here's is what I am doing differently than I used to....
I went with a Penguin Bio Wheel filter and no under gravel filter. I was assured by the person where I bought my stuff that the bio wheel would be suffcient and no under gravel would be needed. Am I wrong to be upset with myself that I did not use the UG filter? I am very close to tearing down the tank and putting one in..only thing that is stopping me is of course the risk of losing my fish. :'(

BTW I am treating the water issue with Algone pouches. The first day I saw a slight improvement, but it hasn't gotten any better since. It's been 3 days, so today I changed the filter cartridges (no charcoal) and put in new Algone. I am just worrying that even if I clear this up, I may again have this issue not using the UG filter.

Jim

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your correct in thinking this is a bacterial bloom. Thiis is the beneficial bacteria trying to catch up with the tanks bioload. It is not harmful to your fish andwill go away when it catches up no special treatment is needed. In fact trying to treat it may cause it to last longer as it will take the bacteria longer to catch up. Everytime you change your filter media you lose some bacteria ,this is one of the major places the bacteria builds up.
That HOB(hang on back) filter is a good one and the biowheel will provide additional places for bacteria to grow. I would ditch the algone and put in a regular filter pad. UGF's pretty much hold material under them and then it rots this can cause some serious issues with your tank. If you are planning a planted tank the roots get tangled up underneath and slow down any water flow. So it was a good decision to fo with a filter instead of a UGF.
If your tank has only been up about a month then I would think maybe it's not finished cycling. Post the results of your water tests for us please (ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates) and lets see how far along you are. There are some good articles on cycling at the top of the beginners forum. Hope that helps.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with Carol. Adding any chemicals during the cycle is likely to cause more (or prolong) cloudiness. It may also prolong the cycle itself. When the cycle is finished, the cloudiness should be gone. But while it's still there, don't worry as it's not harmful to fish.

It's up to you whether you'll add a UG filter to your tank, but I personally wouldn't do this. A bio-wheel filter is very good, and much better than a UG filter. Once again, your tank is 38 gallons, correct? How many gallons per hour does your filter pump?

Jim W

Reaction score
My last water tests were ammonia 0, nitrates 2 (or 5), can't remeber but I know it was well within acceptable amounts (according to the test kit booklet) and the biggie was nitrites, very, very, high. (again I do not recall the exact number, but was well up the scale) :-\

Also, it does appear to be cloudier today, probably the new filter media I put in, I took away some bacteria growth. Ok, so tomorrow when I get home from work I will take out the Algone and leave the filter carts in place, leaving them with their 2 days worth of growth. I guess I just need patience, it upsets me sooooo much to see the tank in this condition, then having to answer the same question all the time..."what's wrong with your tank?" lol

Jim

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the ammonia being 0 and having Nitrites and Nitrates means your tank is cycling. When ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates =/-20 then your tank will be cycled and the cloudiness should be gone. In the fish world "patience is a virtue and water changes are your friend"
Carol

Jim W

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
By the ammonia being 0 and having Nitrites and Nitrates means your tank is cycling. When ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates =/-20 then your tank will be cycled and the cloudiness should be gone. In the fish world "patience is a virtue and water changes are your friend"
Carol
Water changes was my first thought, as I was doing them every other day, once the cloudiness began. (20-25%) Then, my lack of patience took over and I started looking for the quick fix, hence the Algone.

Jim

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Jim W

Reaction score
Home now, removed the algone, then I added a second set of filter cartridges to the Penguin. I figure that would be a better a way to keep the bacteria going when filter change time comes. I can just change 2 at a time, then rotate the other to the front and put new in the back. (I guess that is the point of being able to double them up)

Also, as I am doing these changes this morning, I am noticing the water appears green. Now I thought this before and it wasn't, but for the heck of it I did my white foam cup test again today and this time it is green.....great now an algae problem to go alone with the nitrate issue.

yay me. :-\

Jim

Jim W

Reaction score
my water is clear!

Now I again let my total impatience get the best of me and went out and got a new toy. I bought a Vortex Diatom D-1. Now this is not even an exaggeration, the water was so cloudy I could hardly see the bubble wall at the back of the tank. Once I got the filter primed (no small task I tell you) I got the powder in it and let 'er rip. I checked the wall clock and walked away to clean up some of my mess...as I sit here typing now, the filter has not even been running for a full 15 minutes yet and the water is clear....clear.... 100% as clear as it has ever been.

Once I let it run for an hour or so, I am goin to use it as a power vac to clean the gravel a bit and I am good to go. woohoo!!!

Jim

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom