Cloudy Water - New Tank

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have just started a 2nd tank (75 Gal). My problem (if it is a problem) is the cloudy water. I know that the water will be cloudy after initial set-up. But how long should it be until it is clear. I am running activated charcoal in one chamber of a Cascade 1200 Canister filter (315 GPH). When I set up my first tank (55 gal) the water seemed to clear up within a few days. It has a 2 chamber power filter. Thanks

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say a few days, nothing to worry about, just be patient.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I forgot to say it has been filtering for a week....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats probably a bacteria bloom. When your beneficial bacteria catches up the cloudiness will go away.
Do you have fish in it yet? and what are your water test readings?
Carol

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the substrate in the tank? Substrate like sand or flourite makes the water cloudy if not rinsed completely.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Natural gravel rock and pebble. I rinsed it out good (I thought) prior to adding to tank. The water has not started to cycle..ie ammonia,nitrite and nitrate are 0. ph is 8. I justed added 5 white cloud minnows last night...(I read they like groups of 5 or more). They seem to be doing good so far. I cycled my other tank with Danios which are doing good now. My 1st tank has same gravel, is 55 gal and is crystal clear. I figured the cloudiness would eventually clear up. Will the water clear as it cycles. Thanks

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The water should clear up soon. When I cycled my first tank with fish in it, while it was cycling, it would get cloudy for a couple of days and then clear up. This happened like 3 times during the cycling process.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats what I kinda thought..Thanks for help...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom