Cloudy Water - New Tank

chipster55

I have just started a 2nd tank (75 Gal). My problem (if it is a problem) is the cloudy water. I know that the water will be cloudy after initial set-up. But how long should it be until it is clear. I am running activated charcoal in one chamber of a Cascade 1200 Canister filter (315 GPH). When I set up my first tank (55 gal) the water seemed to clear up within a few days. It has a 2 chamber power filter. Thanks

atmmachine816

I would say a few days, nothing to worry about, just be patient.

chipster55

I forgot to say it has been filtering for a week....

Butterfly

That's probably a bacteria bloom. When your beneficial bacteria catches up the cloudiness will go away.
Do you have fish in it yet? and what are your water test readings?
Carol

Gunnie

What is the substrate in the tank? Substrate like sand or flourite makes the water cloudy if not rinsed completely.

chipster55

Natural gravel rock and pebble. I rinsed it out good (I thought) prior to adding to tank. The water has not started to cycle..ie ammonia,nitrite and nitrate are 0. ph is 8. I justed added 5 white cloud minnows last night...(I read they like groups of 5 or more). They seem to be doing good so far. I cycled my other tank with Danios which are doing good now. My 1st tank has same gravel, is 55 gal and is crystal clear. I figured the cloudiness would eventually clear up. Will the water clear as it cycles. Thanks

Gunnie

The water should clear up soon. When I cycled my first tank with fish in it, while it was cycling, it would get cloudy for a couple of days and then clear up. This happened like 3 times during the cycling process.

chipster55

That's what I kinda thought..Thanks for help...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom