Cloudy water in well established tank after water change? Question 

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I am sorry to hear that you lost some fish. Did you start another thread about them? I know very little about fish diseases so I don't always check out threads about sick fish.

I am still leaning toward a bacterial bloom. I don't know why you have one since this tank has been cycled for quite a while but that sure looks like one to me. If that is the case it may take quite a while for it to clear up. I know my tank looked just like this for at least a month while cycling it.

the fact that it started after you disturbed the substrate more than usual leads me to believe it released something into the water and the cycle is working on clearing it up. Now that you have 4 cartridges in there along with the poly-fill I have to think you have enough media. Just leave it alone unless it gets too much waste built up on it and even then just clean one cartridge at a time.

Sadly losing new fish happens way too often. We can do everything just right and still lose them. I have to think when that happens it is because the poor little guys had just been through too much stress getting from breeder to us.
Yeah I started a new thread. The only person who commented said that I threw all of my media away and that the ammonia was too high (I gave them the same params that I gave you) it didn't make sense to me since I only replaced the carbon (my filter has bio wheels) and most of the bacteria lives in the substrate any way right? I honestly think it might be the store, it wasn't the best experience. The store was super hot because of how cold it was which I understand but I had to wait at least 30min to get someone to get us fish and when he finally came he was the saltwater guy. They also don't have any kind if warranty on their animals, all of the other stores that I have been to have some sort of warranty. I don't know, it really stunk because I REAALY wanted that bumblebee goby and had never seen them in another store. Oh well!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
Yeah I started a new thread. The only person who commented said that I threw all of my media away and that the ammonia was too high (I gave them the same params that I gave you) it didn't make sense to me since I only replaced the carbon (my filter has bio wheels) and most of the bacteria lives in the substrate any way right?
Bacteria does live on everything in our tanks but the stongest colonies of it live where the most moving water is. That would be on the filter media. It grows stronger there because the filter is pulling the water with food (ammonia) through it. I would think your bio-wheels would have a strong colony as long as they continually turn.

I honestly think it might be the store, it wasn't the best experience. The store was super hot because of how cold it was which I understand but I had to wait at least 30min to get someone to get us fish and when he finally came he was the saltwater guy. They also don't have any kind if warranty on their animals, all of the other stores that I have been to have some sort of warranty. I don't know, it really stunk because I REAALY wanted that bumblebee goby and had never seen them in another store. Oh well!
I am sorry that you lost your prized fish. Can you get another one and try again?

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Bacteria does live on everything in our tanks but the stongest colonies of it live where the most moving water is. That would be on the filter media. It grows stronger there because the filter is pulling the water with food (ammonia) through it. I would think your bio-wheels would have a strong colony as long as they continually turn.

I am sorry that you lost your prized fish. Can you get another one and try again?
I'm going to try to, hopefully from a different store but it is slim pickings around here lol. Do you think it was the bloom that killed it?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
I'm going to try to, hopefully from a different store but it is slim pickings around here lol. Do you think it was the bloom that killed it?
I can't imagine that doing it.

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
My tank is no where near your size. But when my tank goes cloudy, it usually clears up in about 2 days.

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like bacterial bloom to me too. Pretty common in a newly cycling tank though. Thought I'd add a great way to clear water is I use kitty litter look for pure montmorilite clay with no scents and non clumping. A little bit in a coffee grinder and make into powder also known as a koi clay so fish love it. I add to water pre mixed into a cup of tank water. The tank will be crystal clear in few hours to the next day but it wont help a bacterial bloom as much. You may have some dusting off plants use a Turkey baster.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This happens to me because I have a lot of gasses in my tap water that lower the pH. Once it gasses off it sits around 7.2 which is fine for BB to survive- prior to that its a low 6. If the water change is big enough you're throwing the pH off and causing a mini cycle which is why youre seeing a bacterial bloom. You can either let buckets of tap water to come up to their true pH overnight by gassing off until you do your change, or you can just add a baking soda/water mixture and pour it in gradually while it's filling with the python.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have any PH issues, it is always a steady 8.2 and my tank has been cycled for about a year now so it isn't new. The water change I did was about 50% Which is what I normally do when I forget to change it for a week or 2.

Water has cleared up a bit after changing some one Sunday, it's still cloudy but a tiny bit better. Picking up some fluval cycle this weekend, I know some are against it but I have used it a lot in the past and it did great!

NathJK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like bacterial bloom to me. Easy to fix. Just wait. Everything will balance out and it will go away. Happened to me a few months ago. It doesn't bother the fish, just looks bad.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom