Cloudy water in well established tank after water change? Question 

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why is my water cloudy? It's not being cycled, it has been up and running for a year now, the fish act fine. It did this right after a waterchange. I was thinking its because I haven't replaced my carbon cartridges? Could it just be because they are on their last leg? Thanks!
FB_IMG_1574453609133.jpg

CichlidJynx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
shrimpforever777 said:
Why is my water cloudy? It's not being cycled, it has been up and running for a year now, the fish act fine. It did this right after a waterchange. I was thinking its because I haven't replaced my carbon cartridges? Could it just be because they are on their last leg? Thanks!View attachment 638047
Did you happen to kick up any substrate while doing your water change? Usually this happens to me if I pour my water in to quickly and it kicks up the substrate

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of additives do you add to your water when doing your water changes? Since I started adding Equilibrium my water gets cloudy after each water change. Fortunately it clears up after a couple of hours.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you stir thing up while doing water change , water might pick up the bacteria to fill up the lost in water in high demand that make water cloudy. That is normal when tank build up bacteria higher than normal . Test tank water after change to make sure every thing is in safe range.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
I accidentally stirred the gravel, and I only use prime.
That could do it. When you vacuum your gravel when you do your water changes you can prevent stirring it up by doing a section at a time. Instead of stirring push the tube into the gravel and lift the tube out of the gravel once the water runs fairly clear. Move an inch or so away and repeat.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
That could do it. When you vacuum your gravel when you do your water changes you can prevent stirring it up by doing a section at a time. Instead of stirring push the tube into the gravel and lift the tube out of the gravel once the water runs fairly clear. Move an inch or so away and repeat.
Yeah, I don't do ferts with my plants so I only gravel vac once a month but this time the bucket slipped and moved the gravel. The only thing that is confusing to me is that it hasn't cleared up yet and it has been a few days. I'll check it and order some cartridges tonight, hopefully with prime they'll be here by Sunday.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
Yeah, I don't do ferts with my plants so I only gravel vac once a month but this time the bucket slipped and moved the gravel. The only thing that is confusing to me is that it hasn't cleared up yet and it has been a few days. I'll check it and order some cartridges tonight, hopefully with prime they'll be here by Sunday.
Have you tried running poly-fill in your filter to help polish the water. It works well at catching fine particles.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Have you tried running poly-fill in your filter to help polish the water. It works well at catching fine particles.
No, I haven't. I have a big bag for sewwing, do I just put some in? P.S. I just tested the water PH 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10ish.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
No, I haven't. I have a big bag for sewwing, do I just put some in? P.S. I just tested the water PH 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10ish.
Yep, just put some in your filter. Change it out as necessary. Since you aren't depending on it for bio-media you can change it often. Numbers look good :)

If you don't do so already try shaking your ammonia testing solution bottles and see if you come up with 0 ammonia. Lots of folks report never seeing zero. I always see zero. I am wondering if it is because I always shake the bottles before using. It is just a habit of mine. Anytime I use any liquid I shake it before using it so it just came naturally for me when I started using my test kit.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Yep, just put some in your filter. Change it out as necessary. Since you aren't depending on it for bio-media you can change it often. Numbers look good :)

If you don't do so already try shaking your ammonia testing solution bottles and see if you come up with 0 ammonia. Lots of folks report never seeing zero. I always see zero. I am wondering if it is because I always shake the bottles before using. It is just a habit of mine. Anytime I use any liquid I shake it before using it so it just came naturally for me when I started using my test kit.
I'll definitely try that next time! Thanks! 173]

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
Seems like the polyfil made it cloudier, I hope I did it right. ‍♀
If you put it in your filter and allowed the water to flow through it you did it right. Check your bag of poly-fill and make sure it doesn't have anything added to it such as fire retardant or some such thing.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
If you put it in your filter and allowed the water to flow through it you did it right. Check your bag of poly-fill and make sure it doesn't have anything added to it such as fire retardant or some such thing.
It's just the regular stuff, I put it behind the cartridges, after adding the polyfil last night and having 2 new cartridges in for about 2 hours it looks like this. A tiny bit better I think?
Screenshot_20191123-170501.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just keep changing it out as it gets dirty. Hopefully it will help clear things up after a few days.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Just keep changing it out as it gets dirty. Hopefully it will help clear things up after a few days.
Do you think doing a small water change would help any?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
Do you think doing a small water change would help any?
It might but I can't say for sure it will. If you aren't due for a water change you may just want to let it play out. It might be a bacterial bloom from stirring up the gravel. If that's the case it should clear up on its own.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does this look any better? Hod to do a waterchange yesterday because of the death of two new fish (posted about that on here but only one person has responded and their comment really didn't help me figure it out) tood out the filter floss last night and added 2 more cartridges (a total of 4) just added more floss.
20191125_132043.jpg

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimpforever777 said:
Does this look any better? Hod to do a waterchange yesterday because of the death of two new fish (posted about that on here but only one person has responded and their comment really didn't help me figure it out) tood out the filter floss last night and added 2 more cartridges (a total of 4) just added more floss. View attachment 638934
I am sorry to hear that you lost some fish. Did you start another thread about them? I know very little about fish diseases so I don't always check out threads about sick fish.

I am still leaning toward a bacterial bloom. I don't know why you have one since this tank has been cycled for quite a while but that sure looks like one to me. If that is the case it may take quite a while for it to clear up. I know my tank looked just like this for at least a month while cycling it.

the fact that it started after you disturbed the substrate more than usual leads me to believe it released something into the water and the cycle is working on clearing it up. Now that you have 4 cartridges in there along with the poly-fill I have to think you have enough media. Just leave it alone unless it gets too much waste built up on it and even then just clean one cartridge at a time.

Sadly losing new fish happens way too often. We can do everything just right and still lose them. I have to think when that happens it is because the poor little guys had just been through too much stress getting from breeder to us.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom