75 Gallon Tank Cloudy Water in a Cycled Tank

Gameynerd23
Hello, the water in my 75 gallon tank has been cloudy for a long while and I'm not sure why. I have 40 danios and 5 Dojo Loaches in the tank. I used to feed a cube of bloodworms as a weekly treat and not long after, a film started to appear. I figured it was just some coating from the worms, but I haven't fed bloodworms in awhile and it's still there. I have a scraper, so it's not a big deal. My other thought is that the Dojo Loaches are putting their mucus stuff into the water and making it cloudy. I'll have my water parameters listed down below. If the cloudy water isn't an issue, then I won't worry about it, but it's been like this for over a month. I have a Marineland Penguin 375 (meant for 75 gallons) with modded filter media and a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 canister filter (meant for 200 gallons) that's gonna have some ceramic, bio ball, and carbon media added next time I clean it. I used to do a 25% water change weekly, but I've upped it to 50% in the last week or two.

AMMONIA: 0ppm
NITRITE: 0ppm
NITRATE: Between 10 and 20ppm (tomorrow's water change day)
PH: 7.4
TEMP: 72-73 farenheit (~22 celsius)

Heron
It could be either a bacterial bloom ( white cloudy water ) or an algal bloom ( green cloudy water ). Neither will do any harm to the fish. The simple treatment for both is the same, just be patient. The quick fix for both is also the same, install a uv unit, these come as either a HOB unit or an inline one they are a bits costly though.
If it's algal you can add a flocculant, a chemical that binds the algae cells together so they are trapped in the filter.
Both blooms are basically caused by excess nutrients in the water that are feeding either unwanted bacteria in the water or algae so try reducing the feed a little. As tanks mature both types of bloom tend to go away. Don't confuse cycled with mature, all tanks take quite a while for the chemical and biological ballance to reach an equilibrium.

Gameynerd23
Heron said:
It could be either a bacterial bloom ( white cloudy water ) or an algal bloom ( green cloudy water ). Neither will do any harm to the fish. The simple treatment for both is the same, just be patient. The quick fix for both is also the same, install a uv unit, these come as either a HOB unit or an inline one they are a bits costly though.
If it's algal you can add a flocculant, a chemical that binds the algae cells together so they are trapped in the filter.
Both blooms are basically caused by excess nutrients in the water that are feeding either unwanted bacteria in the water or algae so try reducing the feed a little. As tanks mature both types of bloom tend to go away. Don't confuse cycled with mature, all tanks take quite a while for the chemical and biological ballance to reach an equilibrium.
Alright, I'll cut down the food a little and see if that helps. I forgot to include a picture, but it's a white bloom.
20210326_162149.jpg

Cawafuoshi
How old is the setup?

mrsP
That is bacterial bloom. Harmless, but annoying. It should go away on it's own in few weeks.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom