Cloudy Water, High Readings

1. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

Morning everyone,

So I did a water change last night and now my readings are kind high. I've had my tank cycled and running on it's 3rd or 4th month with fish in it
    75 gallons
    Ammonia is 0-.25
    Ph- 7.8-8 (where I want it)
    Nitrite-1
    Nitrate-10-20

Now I did nothing but change the water and added prime. The water always seems kinda cloudy after a change which I know is because of my sand. But recently it's getting cloudier, I've changed the polishing pad about a week ago but that's all.

Any ideas?

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tested your tap water? If your tap water for some reason has ammonia and nitrite, that would explain how those levels could go up after a water change.

3. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I would do another at least 50% water change, even 75% to drop the nitrite as low as possible, dosing prime for the entire tank volume after.
    With the cloudiness it sounds like you are having a bacterial bloom/mini cycle... when you did your water change did you clean the filter in tank water or tap?

Oops... missed that you changed the polishing pad... likely it had a lot of bacteria on it and you caused a mini cycle when you changed it...

what type of filter do you have?

While manufacturers recommend changing them out, a lot of people just clean the pads in tank water... only time it needs to be changed out is if it's too clogged up and your filter isn't working due to decreased flow...

4. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

I cleaned it in the tank water that was removed and nope all fish are there. I did a huge water change last night when i noticed it was so high, I guess it is having a mini cycle.

5. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Edited and added to first post with more info...

6. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

I've got the hydor 350, i changed it as it was degrading hadn't changed it in a long time and was originally about 3/4 an in and then was 1/4 it was also almost black from the gunk even after cleaning it off.