Cloudy water/High Nitrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greensevrum

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I too have suddenly gotten cloudy water.but my situation is completely different. I have a well established (10 years ) 150 gl tank that has always had very clear water. After a few new fish died within a week of going into the tank I found that I had high nitrate levels.I have been doing more frequent water changes and adding prime, but the level remains high. I have very low amonium levels and everything else seems normal. Why is my water suddenly cloudy. I also did a 30 gal water change today and the water is still cloudy. Thanks for any help. Greensevrum

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Greensevrum and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I have moved your question from another thread to create a thread of its own. This prevents hi-jacking a thread and too, to help you to receive more responses and a proper welcome to the forum.

I hope you enjoy the site!
Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Greensevrum,
If you could kindly spend some time accurately completing your aquarium info with specific details, it will help the rest of us to help you... e.g. rather than Nitrite = ok, could you please advise the actual measurement in ppm, and the same for the other parameters. and be specific about the livestock, plants (if any), the type of test kit you're using.

What fish have you been adding? It sounds like you are experiencing a potential mini cycle. What are the ammonia readings? (anything greater than 0ppm for ammonia and nitrites is too much)

If you could be a little more specific, we'll be able to help a lot better.

Can you describe the cloudiness (colour etc)

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I too have suddenly gotten cloudy water.but my situation is completely different. I have a well established (10 years ) 150 gl tank that has always had very clear water. After a few new fish died within a week of going into the tank I found that I had high nitrate levels.I have been doing more frequent water changes and adding prime, but the level remains high. I have very low amonium levels and everything else seems normal. Why is my water suddenly cloudy. I also did a 30 gal water change today and the water is still cloudy. Thanks for any help. Greensevrum
Welcome to fishlore!!
sounds like the tank is going through a cycle again...ANY ammonia/nitrites is an uncycled tank....high nitrates can be cured with more frequent water changes and are caused from overstocking/feeding or the end result of the tank going through the cycle process....also test your tap water to see if you have any ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in there....what test kit are you using? whats the stock of fish in the tank? how often do you do water changes? even tanks that have been up for years, can have cycle issues ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom