Cloudy Water Help

Samilouw

Reaction score
I recently did a water change this week and after it my water has not cleared up, it has been 2 days and the water is still cloudy. I am using a sponge filter and when I rinsed it off in the water I siphoned out alot of brown water came out. So my question is that I have heard people use carbon bags to put in filters that help clear it but since I have a sponge filter could I just put it in my tank water?

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Unsure about the carbon. I think it needs to at least be in some container a la my old pump system way back in the day? But I could be wrong?

That being said, best thing I ever invested in (to help with cloudy water) was a Green Killing Machine (as advised here when I first joined). You could have a bacteria bloom? And that GKM is the best solution. Have mine in now for a tank that is a bit off right now.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Placing carbon in your tank will do nothing. It needs to have water flowing over it to be effective. Other than rinsing the filter in old tank water, did you also vacuum the gravel or clean anything else? Is your water cloudy white? If so, you likely triggered a bacteria bloom, which will clear up on it's own after a couple days. If it's cloudy from stirring things up, you could add a few drops of water clarifier and a fine poly pad to capture the bonded particles. If you have sufficient flow in your tank, you should be crystal clear within a few hours at most.

Regarding the GKM, it is my opinion that if you have an algae problem, you should tackle the cause of the issue, not mitigate it by other means. I have three tanks in a brightly lit home with no very little to no algae.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just realized you said you are using a sponge filter. I've never used one of these and imagine the flow is pretty weak, so it will take some time to clear up regardless.

VincenzoGirardi

Reaction score
Agree with last post. Sponge filter alone is not enough. Power filter plus sponge filter is best. Also, I used to have same issue with cloudy water and have since added a bio cube(square lava rock with live bacteria) .20 bucks at Petco. Also, I have Pothos clippings in my water. Just the stems not the leaves and eventually they grow roots. This also helps keep my water very clean and clear.
Since I have no lid, I got a piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit as a cover. Then cut some holes along the back and corners soni san Place the plant stems into the water.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cloudy Water: << Click here

The water in your tank might be cloudy due to dirt, sand, fish waste, particles, plant matter, and uneaten food floating around. Moreover, the particles might be way too small for your filter to catch. The stuff making your aquarium water cloudy can’t even be detected or stopped by the filter.

Try the information here first (Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter):

Why Is My Fish Tank Cloudy & How To Fix It

Build a DIY Water Polisher here. I built this and it works great in large tanks:

Here is the pump mentioned in the video.

For smaller tanks, try this:

Diy Micro Gravel Vacuum/Water Polisher

If all the above does not work… this will:

Acruel F

Start with 1 drop per gallon first, not the 2-4 drops recommended to start. Your water will get cloudy for about an hour or so and then start to clear. Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter. If you need another/higher dose 24-48 hours later, fine. All Acruel F does is clump the free floating particles together so your filter can now pick this up. Guaranteed this works wonders.

Keep your tank crystal clear? Chemi Pure Blue

Green water? Get a UV Sterilizer with flow control (13 watt) and set it to the lowest flow rate so the water stays in contact with the light the longest. Will clear in about 7 days then remove it.

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
The UV Sterilizer could also help with cloudy water too. If it is a bacterial bloom. So if all else fails (as was my case) go for that. Or try it early and avoid the rest of it. You will always have it just in case?

Top Bottom