Cloudy water for over a month

MikeDaMan34

Going to ask a quick question here in regards to my 20 gallon long tank and it's cloudy water. I've had it cycled for 1 month now and it consists of 7 cory's, 1 betta and 1 pleco. Everyone is doing great so no concerns with health at the moment.

I've never had clear water in this tank no matter what I do. Based on appearance it seems to be more-so bacterial bloom related.

I have an aquaclear 50 and a sponge filter in it so I don't think it's under filtered. I use remineralized RODI water with Seachem equilibrium and their alkaline buffer. I perform 20% weekly water changes.

Is this considered normal for a bloom to last this long? My other 2 tanks started at about the same time are super clear so I question this one (it does have a higher stock though). Lights are on from 9am - 12pm and then from 5pm - 8pm. I ran a UV sterilizer on it for a week with no change at all so again, assuming bacterial bloom.

Any thoughts or just let it go? I appreciate the feedback as members on this board have already been super helpful. Thanks!

Pfrozen

cloudy water can be a side effect of those remineralization products but its only supposed to last 20 minutes. It is odd that your bacterial bloom has lasted so long but it isn't unheard of. I would give it a couple more weeks. If your fish are all healthy and parameters are in check all is well.

I have to ask though, do you use Seachem Pristine? If the answer is yes then I can tell you why your water is cloudy

Islandvic

Consoder doing a thorough cleaning of your gravel with a siphon vac. It will probably make you ned to do a 75% WC because of the water needed to suck ojt as you clean all the gravel.

Its possible you have a large amount of accumulated uneaten fish food and fish waste in the gravel that's "feeding" your bacterial bloom.

MikeDaMan34

I have not used Seachem pristine, haven't heard of it actually. Is it something worth looking into? I remineralize a 10 gallon with the same exact products and use the same ratios (based on amount per gallon) and that tank is super clear. I shoot for a GH of 8 or 9 with the equilibrium.

As far as the gravel vac I do that once a week and can generally get the substrate clean in about 3 gallons. I then drain another gallon and refill. I've onky rinsed the filter media a couple times and alternate between the sponge filter to try my best to not screw up the cycle.

One thing to add is I did have a prefilter on the aquaclear 50 which I took off today. I was beginning to think maybe it was slowing down the flow and causing an issue with the filtration.

Pfrozen

MikeDaMan34 said:
I have not used Seachem pristine, haven't heard of it actually. Is it something worth looking into? I remineralize a 10 gallon with the same exact products and use the same ratios (based on amount per gallon) and that tank is super clear. I shoot for a GH of 8 or 9 with the equilibrium.

As far as the gravel vac I do that once a week and can generally get the substrate clean in about 3 gallons. I then drain another gallon and refill. I've onky rinsed the filter media a couple times and alternate between the sponge filter to try my best to not screw up the cycle.

One thing to add is I did have a prefilter on the aquaclear 50 which I took off today. I was beginning to think maybe it was slowing down the flow and causing an issue with the filtration.
No, don't use Seachem Pristine. If you feed veggies and use that product simultaneously it'll trigger bacterial blooms similar to what you're experiencing. It was just a possibility, had to ask

Islandvic shared the only other possible conclusion in this situation, too much organic waste in your tank's ecosystem.

Out of curiosity, what are your nitrates reading?

MikeDaMan34

I can spend some time tomorrow doing another 20% water change and move a bunch of stuff to make sure I'm getting under everything and see if that makes a difference. The last time I checked nitrates it was at about 5. It was the first level orange on the API test kit. I can also double check again tomorrow.

DoubleDutch

Bacterial blooms in most cases are caused by heterotrophic bacteria that feed on all kind of minerals / compounds. These often are temporarily available in new set ups so the bloim disappears when the party is over. In this case the remineralisation probably starts this proces again and again.

I'd just wait with waterchanges and keep your hands out for some time and see what happens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom