Cloudy Water + Fin Rot :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by halogen, Apr 22, 2017.

1. halogenNew MemberMember

My 25g has had slightly cloudy water for a few weeks. I thought it would settle out after a while but it hasn't completely gone away, and this past week I'm noticing the first signs of fin rot on a few of my platies :( None of them have ragged fins yet, but a few have white/milky bottom fins instead of clear and one is getting a little white along the bottom of its tail.

The tank currently has 8 platies and ~30 guppy fry. The cloudiness started to appear around the time I added the fry, but when I put them in I took out ~10 almost fully grown guppies, so I thought the bioload would be about the same.

I'm doing ~30% water change once or twice a week. Water parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm nitrite. I can pick up the PWCs to try to get rid of the nitrites but I wouldn't think that would be bad enough to cause fin rot? I didn't think 5ppm was too bad for an unplanted tank but maybe I'm wrong about that?

Yesterday I tried adding an extra filter I had to help keep the water even cleaner but the water got more cloudy. I left it on overnight hoping that it was just stirring up debris with extra current and would clear out. it's a bit better this morning but still not perfectly clear. Should I leave the extra filter? Is there such a thing as too much filtering? Any other advice?

2. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Is it a milky cloudiness? What kind of filter do you have and when was the last time you did a gravel vac and filter media rinsing?

5ppm nitrates is perfectly fine. You don't need to get rid of them completely. Nitrates below 20pmm is ideal.

3. halogenNew MemberMember

Yes it's a kind of milkiness. It's pretty mild but I'm trying to figure out what is causing the beginnings of fin rot when the water parameters seem to be fine. I gravel vac every time I change water (1-2 times/week). There's always a lot of gunk when I gravel vac because platies are so messy, so should I do it more often? I'm worried changing 30% of the water more than twice a week would just stress the fish out even more.

The regular filter I use for the tank is Aquaclear 50. I rinse the media in tankwater about once a month, just to get solid debris out not to roughly. The new filter I added is Aqueon brand but I can't find anywhere on it that says a specific model. It is bigger with more flow than the Aquaclear 50 so probably rated pretty high.

4. WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Cloudy Tank is just a type of algae, or also a bacterial bloom. Yes it happens alot in newly cycled tanks, but can also happen in older tanks that you are overfeeding or not changing the water enough. A cycled tank with good parameters can get cloudy, or a tank with deadly levels of ammonia can be clear. It dosent really matter. Any amount of ammonia is bad for fish, as is nItrite, nitrate is the final product of the cycle, and is a good thing and does not do any harm to a fish.

5. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I would rinse the filter media at least weekly. It could be clogged and not filtering the debris effectively. Might be why your water is cloudy.

As for the fin rot, you might need a medication to take care of it if its severe enough. I'm not familiar with what kind of med is best so someone else can advise.

6. halogenNew MemberMember

I'll try rinsing the media more often. The flow doesn't seem slowed down at all though, and there's never that much gunk in it when I rinse it out monthly.

A few days ago the milkiness started being more of a greenish colour, so I'm thinking now that it's probably an algae bloom. I've added some floating plants to try to soak up the nutrients, and cut back the lighting to just 4 hours a day. Is that enough for the fish? When I turn the light on I'm putting it right over the floating plants all bunched together so not much light goes into the rest of the tank.

I've done some googling and I think my very old fluorescent light bulb might be to blame. Something about wavelengths changing over time to be better for algae? I'll get a replacement bulb when the bloom has cleared enough to go back to full lighting.

Would algae bloom cause fin rot? Hopefully I can deal with the underlying cause and it will clear up because I don't know much about medication. I think it's pretty mild so far. None of the platies are behaving differently and it's just white edges on the bottom fins and bottom of a couple tails, no actual tissue loss yet.

7. WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Try jungle "fungus cure" it at walmart for 4 bucks and its bio filter/plant safe. It contains nitrofurazone
    Its your easiest cheapest broad spectrum best bet.

8. el337Fishlore LegendMember

It does sound like an algae bloom. Increased water circulation, reducing lighting and not overfeeding helps. If it's really bad, you may want to do a blackout for a week.

9. WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

You should look into flourish excel, its fert for plants and liquid Co2 Algae will grow before a plant does, in poor water condiitons, so larger more frequent partial water changes, keeping the bacteria on the filters (not too thick, but still alive) Not feeding as much and possibly getting lights that are not so bright are all steps you could take to keep algae under control.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice