Cloudy water constantly.

Gio323

Reaction score
Is it normal for after every filter cartridge change that I get cloudy water?
Even happens after some water changes. Usually clears up gradually over a week. Am i doing something wrong?

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
do you have ceramic rings or other similar biological filter media?
if yes, don't wash them in chlorinated water or running water. you need the beneficial bacteria to stay on them. simply rinse them in a pail of dirty tank water ir a pail of water.
any other details of your tank will be appreciated :)

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gio323 said:
Is it normal for after every filter cartridge change that I get cloudy water?
Even happens after some water changes. Usually clears up gradually over a week. Am i doing something wrong?
Yes you are, stop replacing your filter that is where the beneficial bacteria lives.
It should not be changed until it's literally falling apart.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s typically a bacteria bloom feeding off all of the ammonia in the tank. If you clean your filter and replace the cartridge/foam/whatever your filter brand calls it, you’re tossing out a ton of beneficial nitrifying bacteria. All the free floating bacteria will eventually settle and adhere to surfaces, which is why it clears up in about a week.

You typically don’t need to throw the filter media away when you do your weekly cleaning. If you swish and squish it out a few times in old tank water, it’ll get most of the chunky bits out and you can just reuse it. My old filter that I just replaced had the same foam for 7 years.

When I was a kid I used to throw away the replaceable filter cartridges whenever I’d clean the tank. I didn’t know anything about nitrifying bacteria and would frequently get milky looking cloudy water.

New Threads