cloudy water- came from source

1. k9z3boys Member Member

when we did the water change we used tap water and it just comes out cloudy. I hope that whatever makes it cloudy my filter and purigen can get. least its not bad....just makes the tank not so pretty.

looked into the clarity stuff.....good thing I read first!! it'll kill bacterial blooms, algae and unless you have floss filter, your filter.

think I will stay with cloudy water!! I need the bacteria. my fish need the algae... we need the filter.
    sometimes the cure is worse than the problem!
    EEEK

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Does the water stay cloudy or is it just when it first comes out of the tap? Some faucets have aerators that will make the water look a little cloudy because of extra oxygenation, but it will clear up once it sits a bit.

If it is still cloudy in your tank, is it possible your tank is still going through the nitrogen cycle? Cloudy water is common in cycling tanks. How long has your tank been set up? Do you have a test kit so you can share your water parameters?

3. k9z3boys Member Member

yes, the water is cloudy from the source but not from bubbles from the faucet.
    I do have one tank that is in the process of cycling -- its water stats are
    temp 74
    Ph 7.4 (up from 6)
    Nitrate 7
    Nitrite 0
    ammonia-- without accurate test probably 2
    ( we upped the Ph using the tap water to get the ammonia eating bacteria going again.- its the tap water that is cloudy... its a long ccomplicated story.....)
    the 60g has been set up since June 16

the other tank we also changed that day is cycled and is also cloudy.
    it was cloudy when it went in-- it'll probably be cloudy until the purigen/ filter or water change fixes it.
    not doing the clarity cause I don't want it to kill my bacteria or the algae....

4. TheCoolFish Member Member

Good lord last time I had an ammonia level like that I killed 40+ fish! Dude your going through a cycle right now. Your ammonia will turn into nitrite which will turn into nitrate. That will take about a month. Is there fish in there? How old is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. TheCoolFish Member Member

Oh ok so less than a month just wait. I have been running a project cichlid tank for 1 1/2 months and it still has cloudy water since the second week. Mine has fish in it right now though

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. k9z3boys Member Member

Yes. There are fish in it.
    Its been closer to 6wks- got it Father's Day
    the nitrites are zero
    nitrate about 7

its less cloudy, now that it's been a week-
    you saying another month?!

7. TheCoolFish Member Member

Yah

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum