Cloudy Water But Safe Main Water Parameters

Swatson

So the last week or so, my water has been cloudy- whiteish with a tiny brown tint. Did a water change and cleaned the filter a full day ago and got a significant amount of gunk out of the gravel and I cleaned the sides of the tank three days ago, but we’re right back to where we started days ago and the particles have visibly settled. As far as levels: no nitrites, no ammonia, 5 nitrates. The neons aren’t bothered, but my cory catfish are in hiding which is a fair bit odd for them, my betta, on the other hand is the biggest yellow flag: Usually she’s out and about but the last three days she’s been hiding behind the intake on the hang on the back filter. I took out the big plastic plant I had in the tank thinking that might have been an issue, but no change. Any ideas? I took photos, but none of them really catch the right color, the given one came closest. Looks like a bacterial bloom, but the tanks been cycled at least a month now.

Attachments

• 94CF4B32-8B96-4E74-952C-7A9025EB1886.jpeg
    94CF4B32-8B96-4E74-952C-7A9025EB1886.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 12

Azedenkae

Bacterial blooms can happen regardless of whether a tank is cycled. If there is enough organics in the tank, heterotrophic microorganisms can readily consume it and rapidly reproduce, creating the bloom.

It is possible that your fish are just kinda dealing with a new situation they are not used to, or that the bloom is depleting oxygen a bit in your tank - though the latter should result in more gasping by your fish, rather than your neons just chilling or your cories and betta hiding.

ForceTen

What size tank and what filter or filters are you using? How much water are you changing out?

Swatson

20 High, the filter is an Aqueon Pro - it came in a kit and from reviews for the kit I read the other day it’s a 10, so it’s just a little underpowered for the tank but shouldn’t make that much of a difference, and I did ~25% yesterday and the week prior.

ForceTen

20 High, the filter is an Aqueon Pro - it came in a kit and from reviews for the kit I read the other day it’s a 10, so it’s just a little underpowered for the tank but shouldn’t make that much of a difference, and I did ~25% yesterday and the week prior.
I always lean on a little to big as far as filters go. I run a AC 50 and 70 in my 40 gallon.
I do 50% water changes weekly. My water is always crystal clear.
If I were you, and your tank is clean like you said, I would remove and replace as much water as possible.
I would remove from the tank what you can and stir up the gravel while the filter is running. See how much gunk comes up from the gravel.
With clean gravel and suitable filtration, cloudy water should be a distant memory.
The use of a polishing cloth in your filter will trap very small particles. But will need constant attention as these get stopped up quickly. So put it on the top so you can remove it regularly and rinse out or replace.

Swatson

Thanks for the response! Turns out I’m dealing with a bit of a (fungus related) health issue of some sort for with some of the fish, so attempting to get that tackled is priority one for this weekend so I might have to dose my current water with meds so I’m not putting the fish through that much stress (no dedicated quarantine tank, I’ve been having to use a pot as a makeshift one), but I might go with the all out water change ASAP if things go well. A new filter is definitely on the list for the nearish future :)

ForceTen

Thanks for the response! Turns out I’m dealing with a bit of a (fungus related) health issue of some sort for with some of the fish, so attempting to get that tackled is priority one for this weekend so I might have to dose my current water with meds so I’m not putting the fish through that much stress (no dedicated quarantine tank, I’ve been having to use a pot as a makeshift one), but I might go with the all out water change ASAP if things go well. A new filter is definitely on the list for the nearish future :)
If your gonna change all the water, make sure you keep all the filter media. So you can use it again. Meaning don't touch your filter. Keep it wet and restart it asap.
Good luck.

Swatson

If your gonna change all the water, make sure you keep all the filter media. So you can use it again. Meaning don't touch your filter. Keep it wet and restart it asap.
Good luck.
Risked doing a 50% the other day including stirring up as much as the gravel as I could without messing with the fish too much and there’s already a massive improvement. Not gone all the way, but still noticeable. Guess all the worst gunk was really deep in the gravel. Thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views