Cloudy Water And Tons Of Algae

aurms12
Hello all,
I have a 75 gallon tank with multiple plants in there. My family is CONVINCED it is the plants because all other tanks they know of, don't have as many plants and have no algae. I personally don't mind the algae, I wish it was less but that is what I got bristlenose plecos for (2, and still about 2-3in in length).
I refuse to add any chemicals that "help cloudiness" because I know it only helps for a little bit and could cause future issues. But my family is getting impatient that it's still a tad cloudy and they can't necessarily see the fish (you can but my other tanks are spotless so they're just being overdramatic but I'm sick of hearing it from them.)
I have 2 marineland bio-wheels (70 gallon type) on the back. In them I have (used) bio-balls and other (used) bio-media.
I have microfiber to put in as well to catch the smaller stuff coming out of the filters but I haven't gotten that far yet because I'm worried if I put that in, it will mess up the system (paranoia).
Are these 2 bio-wheels sufficient enough for this tank?
I don't have many fish, just about 13 or so total (2 bristlenose plecos, 6 danios, 1 angel, rainbow shark, and 3-about to be 6- tetras).
My tank was set up at the end of July, so about almost 6 weeks now. There is no ammonia and the pH is fine along with the nitrite and nitrate.
Is there anything I can do, other than weekly water changes, to help this slight cloudiness? I just want me and my family to be able to enjoy these fish...

Thank you in advance

appcontrol
I am not familiar with those filters but they are probably enough. Picture would be good, and infos on what and how much lights are turned on, what type of algae, do you have direct sunlight on tank?

Six weeks isn't that long and algae is normal, I just changed substrate in one of my before stable tank and I have small algae problem now with hqir algae but time will cure it, just wc and mechanical removing.

Plus what type of plants do you hqve fast or slow growing?
Usually tanks with plqnts are more stable and have less algae.

Albifrons
It could just be a bacterial bloom. Did you cycle your tank before you added fish?

appcontrol
It could just be a bacterial bloom. Did you cycle your tank before you added fish?
She added used bio media 6 weeks ago, if everything is fine there shouldn't be bacteria bloom.

Albifrons
She added used bio media 6 weeks ago, if everything is fine there shouldn't be bacteria bloom.
Oh man, sorry I didn't see that in the post.

Carbeo
Do you use root tabs or dose iron for the plants? I've seen cloudiness from dosing iron. The fish and media were added together? Nothing like the media died off in the new tank for a week before the fish were added? Try cutting the light back to 4 to 6 hours and increasing only to a point that isn't giving you algae? Is it distinctly white or green cloudiness? Any pictures avaiable?

Lacey D
It could still be a little bacterial bloom, especially in conjunction with the algae. Bristlenose Plecos have a large bioburden, and so the number of bacteria could have rapidly jumped up to compensate. Tell your family that, 1) Plants do NOT cause algae--they actually help eliminate it by sucking up all the nutrients instead. 2) But too much light, overfeeding or an unbalanced cycle promotes algae growth, because they take off faster than the plants under those conditions.

You can do a 2-day tank black-out/fast, and the algae will die. And make sure that no one else is sneaking your fish extra food

aurms12
I am not familiar with those filters but they are probably enough. Picture would be good, and infos on what and how much lights are turned on, what type of algae, do you have direct sunlight on tank?

Six weeks isn't that long and algae is normal, I just changed substrate in one of my before stable tank and I have small algae problem now with hqir algae but time will cure it, just wc and mechanical removing.

Plus what type of plants do you hqve fast or slow growing?
Usually tanks with plqnts are more stable and have less algae.
Marineland, as far as I have known and heard, is a good brand and I actually have 2 smaller filters on my 29 and 1 on each of my 20, and 10's and they are almost spotless.
I can't currently get pictures since I'm at work but the algae is MOSTLY on the glass (and some on the ornaments that I have that are kinda hair-like) and it ranges between green and brown color. i'm not quite sure on names.
as for lights, I have 2 NICREW lights (found on amazon) that are 20" or so for the light itself and a glass cover, obviously. I do have my window shades open during the day, although not enough light comes in to cause this much algae. 2 large trees are blocking most of the light coming in. I will admit to often leaving the lights on from 7:30AM to 9:00PM (due to me leaving for work at 7:45AM and I feed them at 8:00PM and I cannot ask someone else to feed them later in the morning). I know that could be a cause and I could possibly invest in a timer, if the lights being on too long is an issue. Or feed them earlier at night and turn the light off earlier. I like to feed the fish with the lights on and they're used to them being on at this point.
for plants I have:
ozelot sword
2 dwarf hairgrass
4 moss balls
3 myrio bunches
2 Madagascar lace
rotala indica
anubias on driftwood

I understand that algae is unavoidable but it just seems like a lot to me. I also know the plecos, as they grow and mature, will eat more but I have had them almost 2 weeks now and they seemingly haven't done much?

Do you use root tabs or dose iron for the plants? I've seen cloudiness from dosing iron. The fish and media were added together? Nothing like the media died off in the new tank for a week before the fish were added? Try cutting the light back to 4 to 6 hours and increasing only to a point that isn't giving you algae? Is it distinctly white or green cloudiness? Any pictures avaiable?
I haven't used any of that but I did use eco complete planted aquarium substrate but I also didn't add fish until about a week and a half after adding plants and this substrate. but even then, I remember it being a tad cloudy and thinking it would go away with time. it's more white-ish cloudy and not green. none of my fish seem to care or be affected by the cloudiness. I wish I had pictures and maybe later I can get them but I can explain as much as I can. the cloudiness is most intense when first turning the lights on after having it off at night and then by 5PM it's less cloudy

Fashooga
Marineland, as far as I have known and heard, is a good brand and I actually have 2 smaller filters on my 29 and 1 on each of my 20, and 10's and they are almost spotless.
I can't currently get pictures since I'm at work but the algae is MOSTLY on the glass (and some on the ornaments that I have that are kinda hair-like) and it ranges between green and brown color. i'm not quite sure on names.
as for lights, I have 2 NICREW lights (found on amazon) that are 20" or so for the light itself and a glass cover, obviously. I do have my window shades open during the day, although not enough light comes in to cause this much algae. 2 large trees are blocking most of the light coming in. I will admit to often leaving the lights on from 7:30AM to 9:00PM (due to me leaving for work at 7:45AM and I feed them at 8:00PM and I cannot ask someone else to feed them later in the morning). I know that could be a cause and I could possibly invest in a timer, if the lights being on too long is an issue. Or feed them earlier at night and turn the light off earlier. I like to feed the fish with the lights on and they're used to them being on at this point.
for plants I have:
ozelot sword
2 dwarf hairgrass
4 moss balls
3 myrio bunches
2 Madagascar lace
rotala indica
anubias on driftwood

I understand that algae is unavoidable but it just seems like a lot to me. I also know the plecos, as they grow and mature, will eat more but I have had them almost 2 weeks now and they seemingly haven't done much?

Yeah the problem is the time you have the light on...that's over 12 hours of light and we don't even get that in a regular day, unless you live in Alaska.

I would invest into a timer. You can also buy water clarity to help clean the green water.

The pleco will eat the algae up to a certain point and it will eventually stop cleaning the tank and will want something else, like a zucchini.

aurms12
It could still be a little bacterial bloom, especially in conjunction with the algae. Bristlenose Plecos have a large bioburden, and so the number of bacteria could have rapidly jumped up to compensate. Tell your family that, 1) Plants do NOT cause algae--they actually help eliminate it by sucking up all the nutrients instead. 2) But too much light, overfeeding or an unbalanced cycle promotes algae growth, because they take off faster than the plants under those conditions.

You can do a 2-day tank black-out/fast, and the algae will die. And make sure that no one else is sneaking your fish extra food
I've come to establish that it's probably not helping that I turn my light on too early and turn it off too late. I'll definetly be mentioning to my family about the plants though because they are CONVINCED. I'll do a water change tonight and try to start turning the light off earlier tonight and look into a timer so it can turn on later during the day

Yeah the problem is the time you have the light on...that's over 12 hours of light and we don't even get that in a regular day, unless you live in Alaska.

I would invest into a timer. You can also buy water clarity to help clean the green water.

The pleco will eat the algae up to a certain point and it will eventually stop cleaning the tank and will want something else, like a zucchini.
I do have a piece of driftwood in there and will be adding more because I know they enjoy them to "snack" on apparently but I am also aware of the zuchinni. Maybe I can give them one a week and hope it gives them that balance to keep wanting the algae lol
I do have a water clarifier but I don't want it to work for just 2 days and then have it go back to cloudy and I know that can happen with some water clarifiers.

Fashooga
If you don't want to use it than you'll need to work on the issue, which would be to do water changes and getting a timer to reduce the light usage. Doing it this way won't give you instant results but it will eventually work itself out once you do the necessary steps.

appcontrol
Green hairy algae is probably from light, brown one is normal in new tanks it will go away with wc eventually. I am strongly suggesting timer start from 6-7 hour per day and incrase weekly for 30 mins till the point where you still don't have algae. You can get cheap like juwel autofeeder so fish gets food while lights are on.
Are you adding any ferrs? Maybe you have a lot of some or two low amount of some ferts.
If you get green spot algae then naube you should start dosing NPK macro nutrients.

And yes I forgot plecos aren't that great algae eaters and they will definitely not help with hair algae of any type.

bettabo1
I would get a nerite snail and do a small water change.

Lacey D
I'm not one to talk about too much light--mine are on from 5AM to 8:30PM. But my tanks have a ton of plants, and a TON of snails and endler, all of which gobble every speck up as soon as it starts to grow. I'm actually TRYING to grow some nice green algae, but no luck >_<

bizaliz3
BN plecos are not going to fix your problem nor will they remove it for you. They will snack on algae. They will not remove it. I very much dislike seeing people purchase plecos simply because they developed an algae problem. Plecos bring in way more of a mess than they actually clean off and it is not their job to be a tank cleaner and nothing more! They should be fed their own diet just like very other fish you keep.

Algae and driftwood should NOT be their primary diet. So a veggie once a week is not appropriate. Basically what you just said is that you want to starve them so they keep eating algae for you....I know those weren't your words, but that is what you are implying by saying: "Maybe I can give them one a week and hope it gives them that balance to keep wanting the algae"

In summary, plecos need their own diet, they should not be starved in hopes that they spend their lives eating your algae. Keep working on figuring out the algae problem so you can find a way to prevent it rather than have a fish just to clean it. And I do think your long light period is a big factor

What did you use to test your water? And what does "fine" mean when referring to nitrites and nitrates? You said "No ammonia" but then you said the other two are "Fine".

aurms12
If you don't want to use it than you'll need to work on the issue, which would be to do water changes and getting a timer to reduce the light usage. Doing it this way won't give you instant results but it will eventually work itself out once you do the necessary steps.
can you recommend a good water clarifier? i'm just not sure of a "good brand" or if they actually work.... I'll defienetly be continuing water changes and I'll work on the light issue but if the clarifier won's harm my fish and will actually work, I don't MIND. I just don't want it to mess anything up

bizaliz3
can you recommend a good water clarifier? i'm just not sure of a "good brand" or if they actually work.... I'll defienetly be continuing water changes and I'll work on the light issue but if the clarifier won's harm my fish and will actually work, I don't MIND. I just don't want it to mess anything up

Your tank is only 6 weeks old. I would let it get more settled and established before you think about throwing in clarifiers and such.

What color is the algae? Are we sure these are not just new tank diatoms?

Lchi87
Amanda Urmann
Honestly, you should be figuring out what is causing the algae and balancing your light and ferts accordingly instead of using chemicals, fish, and additional equipment to solve a problem.

There are many people with clear tanks and minimal algae that don’t rely on anything additional.

Its not easy and it’s something I’ve struggled with in the past as well so I feel for you, but what you want is a solution, not a band-aid.

I think we’ll be able to help more once we have photos and know your parameters. I do strongly believe that we can rectify things with a little trouble shooting.

aurms12
BN plecos are not going to fix your problem nor will they remove it for you. They will snack on algae. They will not remove it. I very much dislike seeing people purchase plecos simply because they developed an algae problem. Plecos bring in way more of a mess than they actually clean off and it is not their job to be a tank cleaner and nothing more! They should be fed their own diet just like very other fish you keep.

Algae and driftwood should NOT be their primary diet. So a veggie once a week is not appropriate. Basically what you just said is that you want to starve them so they keep eating algae for you....I know those weren't your words, but that is what you are implying by saying: "Maybe I can give them one a week and hope it gives them that balance to keep wanting the algae"

In summary, plecos need their own diet, they should not be starved in hopes that they spend their lives eating your algae. Keep working on figuring out the algae problem so you can find a way to prevent it rather than have a fish just to clean it. And I do think your long light period is a big factor

What did you use to test your water? And what does "fine" mean when referring to nitrites and nitrates? You said "No ammonia" but then you said the other two are "Fine".
For the record, I did ~not~ get the plecos JUST for the algae. It was just beneficial (more ironic, I guess) that I had algae.
I have 2 mystery snails for the algae and for people above telling me to get snails, I do have some but I did plan to get more, knowing I have a "larger" tank.
Can I please mention that I am STILL NEW and GETTING USED TO fish keeping so I apologize for the ignorance that I have but you are belittling me and to be quite frank, I don't appreciate because I actually love my fish and I'm trying to learn what is best for them (my friends and family think I'm insane to think these fish are smart and have feelings). I am AWARE that they like zucchinI but I was not aware it should be an every day thing. I read up on them before getting them but others had made it sound like a few times a week was sufficient. It now explains why one of my plecos has been more hiding than he has been out. So thank you for the input. I will be stopping at the grocery store after work to give them a piece of zucchinI this evening. But as stated, don't treat me like I am dirt because we all make mistakes. I, for one, am known to fix mine. Is zucchinI the only thing they like? Or can I also add a cucumber piece? Lettuce? I heard carrots are good once in a while?

I said "fine" because I hate using the same words, I guess. But I have no nitrite and minimal nitrate. If you would like exacts, I will test when I get home. (Although I can attest for the no ammonia since I tested it this morning... I didn't have time to test the nitrate or nitrite but I feel confident that they haven't fluctuated or changed much since I tested last time) I use API testing for all of these because I do not trust strips and I only have easy access to API tests and these tests haven't let me down (I use drops for all of these).

Thunder_o_b
What color is the cloudy water? If it is green it is not bacteria but algae. As stated above your best bet is to solve the reasons behind your problem. Excessive nutrients in the water and or excessive light.

You could use a UV sterilizer. I have them on all our aquariums. But the water was always very clear before I installed them in the pursuit of the clearest water for my photography.

aurms12
Amanda Urmann
Honestly, you should be figuring out what is causing the algae and balancing your light and ferts accordingly instead of using chemicals, fish, and additional equipment to solve a problem.

There are many people with clear tanks and minimal algae that don’t rely on anything additional.

Its not easy and it’s something I’ve struggled with in the past as well so I feel for you, but what you want is a solution, not a band-aid.

I think we’ll be able to help more once we have photos and know your parameters. I do strongly believe that we can rectify things with a little trouble shooting.

I have even said I didn't want to use it because it was similar to a band aid (not exact words but similar). Every time I come on here I get talked down upon and I just need people to realize that I'm trying to learn (not that you specifically are talking to me like this). I'm not saying I know all. I'm going to be working on the lights starting tonight. I'm doing research on a timer.
I will upload pictures later this evening (after giving the plecos their zucchini, that is).

Your tank is only 6 weeks old. I would let it get more settled and established before you think about throwing in clarifiers and such.

What color is the algae? Are we sure these are not just new tank diatoms?
as stated a couple times above, I originally did say I wanted to not use a clarifier because it's just a substitute to fixing the real issue and that I didn't want to ruin anything I already had going for the tank. I say one time I may be into using it and I then get people telling me to not use it, as I originally said
anyway
the algae is more of a white-ish color. I'll post pictures later. i'm not color blind, but for all I know it could be green-ish

I'm not one to talk about too much light--mine are on from 5AM to 8:30PM. But my tanks have a ton of plants, and a TON of snails and endler, all of which gobble every speck up as soon as it starts to grow. I'm actually TRYING to grow some nice green algae, but no luck >_<
you can have some of mine lol, how many snails do you have? so I can get an idea

RSababady
Let me give this a go......
You have an algae bloom!
Algae exists in two forms:
  1. algae spores that in the presence of ammonia and light will flourish into algae (the green/yellow stuff you can see)
  2. algae rooted to plants, decorations and glass feeds on nitrates, potassium and light
The algae spores are always present in tanks - they need and light to - so they must have got them.
The algae requires , light and to grow.

So you need to deal with both issues as well as look after your plants i.e.
  1. reduce the light to around 4 hrs daily, so your plants are not affected drastically. This will stop new spores from flourishing
  2. use a small clean soft brush to dislodge the algae from your plants so they don't damage them
  3. increase your water circulation (movement of water within the tank). This will ensure that CO2 and O2 is getting to all of the plants
  4. do not reduce the ferts for your plants, as they need to be healthy
  5. reduce the amount of surface water agitation to allow more CO2 to stay in the water at night for the plants to consume during the day
Some people will suggest massive water changes, I won't. Just your regular water changes will work fine.

Lchi87
I have even said I didn't want to use it because it was similar to a band aid (not exact words but similar). Every time I come on here I get talked down upon and I just need people to realize that I'm trying to learn (not that you specifically are talking to me like this). I'm not saying I know all. I'm going to be working on the lights starting tonight. I'm doing research on a timer.
I will upload pictures later this evening (after giving the plecos their zucchini, that is).
I don’t think anyone means to talk down to you... it just came off that you were planning on feeding your plecos less in hopes that they’d consume your algae instead. At least that’s how I read it... but it’s good to know that it isn’t your intention.

Its totally fine to not know how things work because we’re all beginners at one point, I guess the point I was trying to get across was to solve the problem, not use a crutch.

While we wait for photos and test results, I just want to say that mystery snails do not eat algae, they’ll eat veggies and fish food and sometimes rotting plant material but unfortunately not algae.

Alage issues can get complicated and confusing but something that has helped me is changing things slowly and little by little if you do need to change something. Algae adapts quicker to changes than plants do, so massive changes in lighting or maintenance will give your algae the upper hand.

bizaliz3
For the record, I did ~not~ get the plecos JUST for the algae. It was just beneficial (more ironic, I guess) that I had algae.
I have 2 mystery snails for the algae and for people above telling me to get snails, I do have some but I did plan to get more, knowing I have a "larger" tank.
Can I please mention that I am STILL NEW and GETTING USED TO fish keeping so I apologize for the ignorance that I have but you are belittling me and to be quite frank, I don't appreciate because I actually love my fish and I'm trying to learn what is best for them (my friends and family think I'm insane to think these fish are smart and have feelings). I am AWARE that they like zucchinI but I was not aware it should be an every day thing. I read up on them before getting them but others had made it sound like a few times a week was sufficient. It now explains why one of my plecos has been more hiding than he has been out. So thank you for the input. I will be stopping at the grocery store after work to give them a piece of zucchinI this evening. But as stated, don't treat me like I am dirt because we all make mistakes. I, for one, am known to fix mine. Is zucchinI the only thing they like? Or can I also add a cucumber piece? Lettuce? I heard carrots are good once in a while?

I said "fine" because I hate using the same words, I guess. But I have no nitrite and minimal nitrate. If you would like exacts, I will test when I get home. (Although I can attest for the no ammonia since I tested it this morning... I didn't have time to test the nitrate or nitrite but I feel confident that they haven't fluctuated or changed much since I tested last time) I use API testing for all of these because I do not trust strips and I only have easy access to API tests and these tests haven't let me down (I use drops for all of these).

My post was not meant to belittle, nor was I attempting to "treat you like dirt". I am genuinely trying to help you learn. And in my attempt to help you learn, I was trying to put things in perspective. Like only giving them their own food once a week to keep them working on algae....I know you didn't mean your intention was to starve them, I was just pointing out that essentially, that is what you are doing by doing that. Maybe that was too blunt of me. Technically they won't starve being fed once a week. But it isn't really fair to them......
You have to understand that this isn't unique to you. I see people day after day getting plecos to help with algae and it drives me nuts. Often it is new people like yourself. But not always. And even worse, it is often in 10 gallon tanks!! At least you have a big one!!

Sorry if I came across harsh, it was not my intention to make you feel like dirt. But I just get so sick and tired of plecos being treated like cleaning machines and not given their own diets. So I just needed to get that out there. Your exact words were: "I personally don't mind the algae, I wish it was less but that is what I got bristlenose plecos for" SO, forgive me for making the assumption that that was the only reason you wanted them...

If you like the plecos, then GREAT!! That is what is important! Sadly, there are many people who are indifferent about them and LITERALLY only get them to clean. Which is completely backwards since they make the tank messier than they do clean!!

As for the water testing part of it....again, so many people use the word "fine" in regards to their water and it is often not the case. Or people have different interpretations of what "fine" means. So I was asking for clarification for that reason. I wasn't being critical of you. And you are NOT using strips, so that is good! That is another thing that the "fine" comes into play...often when the people are using inaccurate strips, the response is that the water is "fine" or "safe". We need to confirm those little details when attempting to solve problems, and it isn't to imply that you are dumb or anything.

As for the snails...the person suggesting it specifically said NERITE snail. There are different kinds of snails that do different things. And removing algae is something nerite snails do AMAZING at, but not mysteries. Just an FYI.

Anyway, sorry if you were offended, but I was only looking out for you and your fish long term.

OH and I asked about the color of the aglae because I was wondering if it was brown. Cuz if it is brown, that is just a normal algae phase that everyone has to face when starting a new tank.

My Monet
I use AcurelF. Works great and harmless to all your livestock.
Get it at Amazon (has great reviews) or eBay, if not at your local store.
Good luck!
P.S.
I’ve been bashed before for recommending this, by the aquarium Goddesses on this forum, but it really works!

BuddyD
Someone mentioned UV Sterilizer. One addition to that, I have a 100 Gal. SunSun Canister Filter with built in UV. My tanks still get some algae but it's the cleanest my water has ever been. I had a major algae bloom, couldn't even see past 1/2 inch from front. I Got it on eBay from a very good source for only $65 Free Shipping. I also have a cheap $9 timer and works great. Set timer for hours you want light on, when you want it off, then just kick back.

JLeeM
People keep mentioning UV sterilization, but from my understanding, which may be incorrect, it only helps with green water. The algae that is free floating, making your tank look like pea soup. It won't really help that much with algae growing ON things.

bizaliz3
you guys....this is only a 6 week old tank. Don't you think it should be a bit more established before resorting to spending money on clarifiers and UV sterilizers?
The cloudiness and algae could be entirely due to the tank being so new. I personally think it is too early to worry about spending money on more things when the cloudiness may resolve itself over time.

I am not discounting everyone's suggestions, but I am stuck on the fact that this tank is very very new and I think it is too soon to essentially "give up" and spend money on products instead of letting it run its course.

All of my established tanks are crystal clear and I use no clarifiyers or stabilizers or algae removers or anything like that.

When I do have a tank get cloudy for some reason, I will just do daily water changes until it goes away. I don't buy products to fix it.

aurms12
I don’t think anyone means to talk down to you... it just came off that you were planning on feeding your plecos less in hopes that they’d consume your algae instead. At least that’s how I read it... but it’s good to know that it isn’t your intention.

Its totally fine to not know how things work because we’re all beginners at one point, I guess the point I was trying to get across was to solve the problem, not use a crutch.

While we wait for photos and test results, I just want to say that mystery snails do not eat algae, they’ll eat veggies and fish food and sometimes rotting plant material but unfortunately not algae.

Alage issues can get complicated and confusing but something that has helped me is changing things slowly and little by little if you do need to change something. Algae adapts quicker to changes than plants do, so massive changes in lighting or maintenance will give your algae the upper hand.
I might just be reading into things. It's so difficult to tell how someone is saying something over the internet or through a message only you would read in your head, (I'm a paranoid person, don't mind me.)
So I will ask, with that, what is best for an algae-eater?
Someone mentioned nerite snails? I know when I previously had them, they didn't do much other than hide. I do plan to get a couple but I can up the amount if they do eat algae.
Also, if I do a water change today, I have an algae scrapper. Can I use this now knowing the plecos won't eat just the algae and I won't be ridding of their diet? Or should I deter from using this since it's still a new-ish set up?

Sydsam
I feel your pain...my kids wanted all clear water etc as well. I added plants to my aquarium and root tans and my water turned green... I’m learning as well, as I never had a planted tank before, so I’m new to this. I added micro filter “fabric” to help clear things up. It worked ok, but not perfect, but it did help get the green out of the water.

I didn’t reduce my lighting much, I usually have it on for about 10 hours. I did my normal water changes and with time things cleared up. The water still isn’t as clear as my smaller goldfish tank, but as some, I’m reluctant to put a water clarifier in it just yet.

Anytime you change anything in a tank, whether it’s adding a fish, a plant, fertilizer, light, or even water...it’s going to disrupt the internal environment of the tank and time will eventually fix it as long as the tank is healthy.
I think you are doing fine, give it a couple days, add some fine filter material if you want.
Eventually you will find what works for you.

I know I should feed my plants, but am reluctant to put fertilizer tabs in again because I don’t want my water green again...lol. I guess I just gotta do it and see what happens!!!

Best of Luck and keep us posted!!!

I might just be reading into things. It's so difficult to tell how someone is saying something over the internet or through a message only you would read in your head, (I'm a paranoid person, don't mind me.)
Someone mentioned nerite snails? I know when I previously had them, they didn't do much other than hide. I do plan to get a couple but I can up the amount if they do eat algae.
Also, if I do a water change today, I have an algae scrapper. Can I use this now knowing the plecos won't eat just the algae and I won't be ridding of their diet? Or should I deter from using this since it's still a new-ish set up?
Most people believe the Siamese Algae Eater is one of the best, but again, it needs plenty of room in a tank, and can become aggressive.

aurms12
My post was not meant to belittle, nor was I attempting to "treat you like dirt". I am genuinely trying to help you learn. And in my attempt to help you learn, I was trying to put things in perspective. Like only giving them their own food once a week to keep them working on algae....I know you didn't mean your intention was to starve them, I was just pointing out that essentially, that is what you are doing by doing that. Maybe that was too blunt of me. Technically they won't starve being fed once a week. But it isn't really fair to them......
You have to understand that this isn't unique to you. I see people day after day getting plecos to help with algae and it drives me nuts. Often it is new people like yourself. But not always. And even worse, it is often in 10 gallon tanks!! At least you have a big one!!

Sorry if I came across harsh, it was not my intention to make you feel like dirt. But I just get so sick and tired of plecos being treated like cleaning machines and not given their own diets. So I just needed to get that out there. Your exact words were: "I personally don't mind the algae, I wish it was less but that is what I got bristlenose plecos for" SO, forgive me for making the assumption that that was the only reason you wanted them...

If you like the plecos, then GREAT!! That is what is important! Sadly, there are many people who are indifferent about them and LITERALLY only get them to clean. Which is completely backwards since they make the tank messier than they do clean!!

As for the water testing part of it....again, so many people use the word "fine" in regards to their water and it is often not the case. Or people have different interpretations of what "fine" means. So I was asking for clarification for that reason. I wasn't being critical of you. And you are NOT using strips, so that is good! That is another thing that the "fine" comes into play...often when the people are using inaccurate strips, the response is that the water is "fine" or "safe". We need to confirm those little details when attempting to solve problems, and it isn't to imply that you are dumb or anything.

As for the snails...the person suggesting it specifically said NERITE snail. There are different kinds of snails that do different things. And removing algae is something nerite snails do AMAZING at, but not mysteries. Just an FYI.

Anyway, sorry if you were offended, but I was only looking out for you and your fish long term.

OH and I asked about the color of the aglae because I was wondering if it was brown. Cuz if it is brown, that is just a normal algae phase that everyone has to face when starting a new tank.

I know better than to put a pleco in a 10 gallon, at least. I shouldn't have said exactly that, I was just not in the mood to post a long post, clearly that didn't work for me now, . I wouldn't even try to put one (even the smaller version) in my 29. I have oto's for that tank for a reason.
I started out using strips and soon found that they weren't accurate because I knew my older tank had ammonia and it was showing that it was at 0. So I immediately went out to get the drops and as I knew, the ammonia was bad. (Luckily this issue was solved faster than I could've hoped for and I only lost a couple fish and NOW I know how to avoid ammonia.)
If Nerite snails are good at removing algae, I should've gotten them first. Although, I'll state I love my mystery snails - I even named them like the weirdo I am. I'll honestly probably go to the pet store now to get a couple at the same time I go to get a zucchini. To be fair to me, I did want nerite snails too anyway. This will just push up me getting them. Which I do not mind, as I love snails.
Apologies to you for basically freaking out. I just don't appreciate when assumptions about me are made and I really do love my fish. The plecos were my idea to begin with and I should've understood that it was more known to feed them the zucchinI more often than them just feeding on the algae.
Not sure if I mentioned the color of the algae but some of it is partially brown and some is green. The algae on the back glass is more green and the front glass is more brown.
Again, I'll post pictures when I am home.

DarkOne
Welcome to Fishlore!

The white cloudiness is almost definitely a bacterial bloom. It could take a couple of days or a couple of months to clear up. Regular water changes help. I agree with you about using chemicals in a tank but the easiest way to get rid of it quickly is to use 3% hydrogen peroxide. 2ml per gallon so about 150ml for your tank. It's safe to dose up to 5ml per gallon but I wouldn't recommend it with fish in the tank (stay under 4ml/g). It should break down to H2O and O2 within a few hours (and should clear your tank in that time). Since it doesn't leave any chemicals in the tank, I don't consider it meds/chemicals/etc.

I would definitely suggest getting a timer. I use smart plugs so I can control them on my smartphone. I also have it connected to Amazon Echo for voice control.

I'm not a fan of nerites as they can lay eggs all over the tank and looks unsightly, IMO. BN plecos will snack on brown diatom algae but not green. Sounds like you also have some hair algae (black beard algae or BBA). There are a few fish that will eat it. Siamese Algae Eaters are the most popular but they can get to 5" or more and should be in groups of 3 or more. Shouldn't be a problem in a 75 gallon but you should like them. Mollies and Platies will also eat BBA. Fast growing plants will help prevent it but you'll have to cut off the BBA that's in there now.

Most people believe the Siamese Algae Eater is one of the best, but again, it needs plenty of room in a tank, and can become aggressive.
You're mistaking SAEs with CAEs. I have 8 SAEs in 3 tanks and they are peaceful.

bizaliz3
I know better than to put a pleco in a 10 gallon, at least. I shouldn't have said exactly that, I was just not in the mood to post a long post, clearly that didn't work for me now, . I wouldn't even try to put one (even the smaller version) in my 29. I have oto's for that tank for a reason.
I started out using strips and soon found that they weren't accurate because I knew my older tank had ammonia and it was showing that it was at 0. So I immediately went out to get the drops and as I knew, the ammonia was bad. (Luckily this issue was solved faster than I could've hoped for and I only lost a couple fish and NOW I know how to avoid ammonia.)
If Nerite snails are good at removing algae, I should've gotten them first. Although, I'll state I love my mystery snails - I even named them like the weirdo I am. I'll honestly probably go to the pet store now to get a couple at the same time I go to get a zucchini. To be fair to me, I did want nerite snails too anyway. This will just push up me getting them. Which I do not mind, as I love snails.
Apologies to you for basically freaking out. I just don't appreciate when assumptions about me are made and I really do love my fish. The plecos were my idea to begin with and I should've understood that it was more known to feed them the zucchinI more often than them just feeding on the algae.
Not sure if I mentioned the color of the algae but some of it is partially brown and some is green. The algae on the back glass is more green and the front glass is more brown.
Again, I'll post pictures when I am home.

No worries We are on the same page now. So that's good. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot!

If your algae is partially brown and some green....I think you are dealing with the normal diatom algae that you go through with new tanks. Do you remember having this phase in your other tanks when you first set them up??

I have 18 tanks and have taken down and set up even more than that over the years. And every single time I set up a new tank (previously used or not), I go through that stupid diatom phase. Eventually it stops! Don't lose hope. Its just that the diatoms that are there need to be removed. But it will stop continuing to grow and spread if it is in fact diatoms. Nerites will clear those diatoms right up. Or you can do it yourself with a scraper.

I am still pretty convinced that you are simply dealing with the new tank phase and things will settle down. I encourage you to not spend money on easy fixes because I feel this will eradicate itself over the next few weeks. But if I am wrong, then so be it.

If it were me, I would just do 2-3 water changes per week until the cloudiness goes away, and then move to weekly water changes. And hopefully I am right about the algae you are dealing with and that will slow down for you as well.

Sydsam
You're mistaking SAEs with CAEs. I have 8 SAEs in 3 tanks and they are peaceful.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to mean that they were aggressive, but territorial sometimes

Lchi87
Things that consume algae: nerites, ottos, SAEs, ghost shrimp, amano shrimp etc. It depends on the kind of algae you’ve got. nerites.. I have them in all my planted tanks. They’ll eat algae, sure, but they won’t make a big enough dent if there’s an actual issue. Mine are often cleaning off my driftwood and rocks and sometimes are on the glass but they still miss spots which is why I don’t rely on them for cleaning.

I scrape my glass daily usually so I’m sure cleaning off your glass won’t hurt anything. The plecos won’t miss it, just give them their veggies. ZucchinI are favorites and widely well received, but they like other stuff too once they know its food. I’ve offered blanched spinach, brussel sprouts, green beans, and peaches and grapes etc. Basically, whatever veggies I make for dinner, I leave a bit for my fish lol. Just no citrus!

aurms12
No worries We are on the same page now. So that's good. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot!

If your algae is partially brown and some green....I think you are dealing with the normal diatom algae that you go through with new tanks. Do you remember having this phase in your other tanks when you first set them up??

I have 18 tanks and have taken down and set up even more than that over the years. And every single time I set up a new tank (previously used or not), I go through that stupid diatom phase. Eventually it stops! Don't lose hope. Its just that the diatoms that are there need to be removed. But it will stop continuing to grow and spread if it is in fact diatoms. Nerites will clear those diatoms right up. Or you can do it yourself with a scraper.

I am still pretty convinced that you are simply dealing with the new tank phase and things will settle down. I encourage you to not spend money on easy fixes because I feel this will eradicate itself over the next few weeks. But if I am wrong, then so be it.

If it were me, I would just do 2-3 water changes per week until the cloudiness goes away, and then move to weekly water changes. And hopefully I am right about the algae you are dealing with and that will slow down for you as well.
I know my 29 gallon had this issue but I was also dealing with far much more issues, like ammonia for one thing so the algae was beneficial in that case to let me keep my sanity knowing good bacteria was growing haha the 10's have had no algae since setting them up and the 20 has some but never this much even though it has more fish (but it doesn't have light coming from outside, just the actual light I have for the tank.)
I'll definitely get some nerite snails but I'll probably scrap a bit off too.
If I do 2-3 WC a week, how much water should I be taking out each change?
I'm sure it's the new tank issue, because my pet store told me this too but sometimes they aren't accurate and it's petsmart...so I don't exactly trust them (and to be clear, I go to an actual local pet store for fish too, not that THAT matter.)

King o´ Angelfish
Amanda Urmann Dont worry about the harsh advise. When I first joined, a lot of fishlore legends were giving me some pretty harsh advice to. In text things can come out harsher than meant to. But I do prefer giving advice more calmly and passively since I know the person may not know he/she is making a mistake or is new to the hobby. Personally, I think its 100% fine to have a clean up crew (fish for cleaning purposes). I don't think you were planning on starving your pleco, in fact, I only feed my BN and chocolate pleco once a week and they are as fat as ever. I learned long ago, if you want a fish to clean algae. . .dont get plecos!! And certainly don't mention it here cuz there are a lot of pleco lovers here! lol Otos, snails, and shrimp are best for algae. Good luck!

bizaliz3
This is a very old picture collage I made....but 2 nerites cleaned this thing off in a couple days...they are posing on top of the clean ornament in the final shot. Lol.

A BN could much on it for weeks but never actually clean it off. That's the difference between plecos and nerites.

1444868528673.jpg

King o´ Angelfish
I know my 29 gallon had this issue but I was also dealing with far much more issues, like ammonia for one thing so the algae was beneficial in that case to let me keep my sanity knowing good bacteria was growing haha the 10's have had no algae since setting them up and the 20 has some but never this much even though it has more fish (but it doesn't have light coming from outside, just the actual light I have for the tank.)
I'll definitely get some nerite snails but I'll probably scrap a bit off too.
If I do 2-3 WC a week, how much water should I be taking out each change?
I'm sure it's the new tank issue, because my pet store told me this too but sometimes they aren't accurate and it's petsmart...so I don't exactly trust them (and to be clear, I go to an actual local pet store for fish too, not that THAT matter.)
50% bi-weekly or 30% tri-weekly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Passionfish
Replies
Views
FishMommer
Top Bottom