Cloudy Water, Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 Huh?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by ChrisX, Apr 10, 2017.

1. C

ChrisX Well Known Member Member

Hello,

My tank was fishless cycled over two months then after three months of fish, biological filter was good and strong, always reading zero ammonia and nitrites.

A few weeks ago I treated the tank with Tetra Life Guard which may have compromised the bio filter. After treatment I did large water change and added carbon back to filtration.

Past few weeks the tank was reading .25-.5 ppm ammonia, zero nitrites, but increasing nitrates. It seems that the ammonia processing was slowed, but nitrates were still processing.

I have been doing twice a week water changes (30 and 50%), and adding Prime daily to deal with residual ammonia.

Today the water is white cloudy, but bio processing has been picking up, ammonia is 0-.1, and nitrites are zero. I understand that this is a bacterial bloom, but I thought this was a symptom of compromised bio filter. Why didnt this happen two weeks ago, and only now seems to be happening once bio filter kicked back in?

Ammonia and nitrites are zero, but is there anything else in the water that would be toxic to the fish during a bacterial bloom? I havent tested nitrates because I'm running low on the solution, but I suspect they are <5ppm given the frequent large water changes.

KH =5 GH= 7, PH = 8 75* 29g planted

Also, I have a cycled sponge in a QT that is processing ammonia daily. Would it be wise to add this to the main tank?

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Interesting....... and it's not small loose particles?

The only other thing I can think of is the amount of flow. Kribs have a bigger bio-load than occeys correct? So my thought process is, if your flow is not adequate in a tank with a larger bio-load its not filtering the bacteria quick enough.

4. OP
    OP
    C

ChrisX Well Known Member Member

My water used to be clear, but since the bio filter broke down, its been cloudy. So its not necessarily related to flow rate.

I thought that biological was for converting ammonia and nitrite, not for killing bacteria.

Anyone know?

5. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

I put a bigger spomge on the filter to help compensate for the Kribs Bio-load.
    And I also use Dr. Tims one and only and no matter what I have done it just doesn't want to clear up.

@ChrisX what do you mean your bio filter broke down? Did your actual filter break and if so what kind of filter were you using?

6. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

You should try Joey Mullen's drip system. Basically it's always adding freshwater to the tank and exports out the old water. Meaning clean tank 24/7

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice