10 Gallon Tank Cloudy water after substrate change

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone!

I changed the substrate in my 10 gal tank from gravel to sand because I had two Cory's and didn't want them suffering in the long-run.

I cleaned the sand thoroughly and made sure there wasn't any clowdy-like residue in the bucket. Once I added it into my tank it got cloudy. I figured it just needed to settle but it's been about two hours and now I'm worried if it's going to affect my fish (guppies and cory's). I add the suggested amount of water clearer so hopefully the tank needs to filter and whatnot before it gets clear again?

Attachments

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t see a HOB filter, do you have a sponge? I’ve noticed my HOB clears the water much faster than my sponge. The cloudy water is probably normal though. Could be from the sand (even though you cleaned it) or even a bacterial bloom from messing with the BB on the old substrate. Give it a day or two.

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UnknownUser said:
I don’t see a HOB filter, do you have a sponge? I’ve noticed my HOB clears the water much faster than my sponge. The cloudy water is probably normal though. Could be from the sand (even though you cleaned it) or even a bacterial bloom from messing with the BB on the old substrate. Give it a day or two.
Yes, it's back there! Just hidden behind decorations
Sounds good I'll report back with any updates!
Thanks!

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can also use filter floss in a net and put it in front of the filter output or drag it through the tank a few times, I've heard others do that.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just stick some filter floss in your filter. I keep some in my filter at all times just to help keep the water crystal clear (replace every week) However, filter floss can be quite expensive so I just use quilt batting. It’s the same exact material but much cheaper for much more of it.

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
VeiltailKing said:
Just stick some filter floss in your filter. I keep some in my filter at all times just to help keep the water crystal clear (replace every week) However, filter floss can be quite expensive so I just use quilt batting. It’s the same exact material but much cheaper for much more of it.
Oh wow! I definitely need to try this! Thank you for the tip!

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, update!

So I checked the guppies' water this morning and still cloudy. So I ended up doing a water change, slight difference but nothing much has really changed.

I'm worried there is a bacteria growing or I'm not doing something right, when I came in and checked on their tank I noticed there was a line of small little bubbles all on top of the tank with condensation where there was no water. The bubbles were not from the air pump.

Someone please help! :'(

SinisterCichlids johnbetta

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The small line of bubbles is likely from your water change!! We all get those. The condensation is from the heat of the water (I get that on my lid as well, no worries!) You’re probably just experiencing a bacteria bloom caused by the substrate change. I would expect it to die down in a few days. As long as your water parameters are in check, I think you’ll be fine!

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Clare1125 said:
Hi all, update!

So I checked the guppies' water this morning and still cloudy. So I ended up doing a water change, slight difference but nothing much has really changed.

I'm worried there is a bacteria growing or I'm not doing something right, when I came in and checked on their tank I noticed there was a line of small little bubbles all on top of the tank with condensation where there was no water. The bubbles were not from the air pump.

Someone please help! :'(

SinisterCichlids johnbetta
Uuummm how long has this tank been running?

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
VeiltailKing said:
The small line of bubbles is likely from your water change!! We all get those. The condensation is from the heat of the water (I get that on my lid as well, no worries!) You’re probably just experiencing a bacteria bloom caused by the substrate change. I would expect it to die down in a few days. As long as your water parameters are in check, I think you’ll be fine!
Okay okay, trying not to freak out but everything is so new!:(:(

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
Uuummm how long has this tank been running?
Since I first bought it or with the new substrate?

If it's the first question I ran it for a week with no fish and it's been running ever since with water changes every week.

If it's the second question it was running the whole time I was changing out the water and added fish in when the water parameters were clear.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You ran it for a week without fish? Did you dose ammonia and cycle the tank? One week is not long enough for a cycle. How long has the tank been running before you did a substrate change?

If the tank was still cycling or just recently finished cycling, this is 100% a bacterial bloom. The cycle is very new, assuming it’s cycled at all. Disturbing any bacteria in the tank will cause the bacterial bloom you’re seeing.

Do you have an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits? Not the strips, the liquid tests. Liquid is more accurate. If so, I’d like to see your readings so we know where you are in the cycle. If you don’t have a test kit, especially ammonia test, you should do a partial water change every day until the water clears up, and then every other day. Get your hands on an ammonia liquid test kit. This is the most important thing because ammonia is toxic to fish. And read up on fish-in cycles. I’m willing to bet you were not finished cycling yet when you changed out the gravel.

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UnknownUser said:
You ran it for a week without fish? Did you dose ammonia and cycle the tank? One week is not long enough for a cycle. How long has the tank been running before you did a substrate change?

If the tank was still cycling or just recently finished cycling, this is 100% a bacterial bloom. The cycle is very new, assuming it’s cycled at all. Disturbing any bacteria in the tank will cause the bacterial bloom you’re seeing.

Do you have an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits? Not the strips, the liquid tests. Liquid is more accurate. If so, I’d like to see your readings so we know where you are in the cycle. If you don’t have a test kit, especially ammonia test, you should do a partial water change every day until the water clears up, and then every other day. Get your hands on an ammonia liquid test kit. This is the most important thing because ammonia is toxic to fish. And read up on fish-in cycles. I’m willing to bet you were not finished cycling yet when you changed out the gravel.
It had been cycling for about a week with no fish around the end of May. I put in the Imagitarium Biological Booster (1tsp) and Imagitarium Water Conditioner (2tsp) when the aquarium had no fish.

The tank has been running since with no problems for about a month with fish in and yesterday was when I changed the substrate.

I don't have those tests yet (broke college student problems lol). I had the test strips and when I checked and took a sample of the water to my local pet store they said everything was good to go. I'm running low on test strips but I'm going to be buying the liquid next week seeing that they're more accurate.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do the test strips by chance have a nitrite and nitrate reading? If so, what have you been getting?

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UnknownUser said:
Do the test strips by chance have a nitrite and nitrate reading? If so, what have you been getting?
NO2 was between 0-0.5
NO3 0

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank is not cycled.
You have a small bio load and it has finally started,what you are seeing more likely than not is an algae bloom.
It will settle you will need to do daily water changes for the next week or so

OP
Clare1125

Clare1125

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
Your tank is not cycled.
You have a small bio load and it has finally started,what you are seeing more likely than not is an algae bloom.
It will settle you will need to do daily water changes for the next week or so
How much of a water change?
I'm just glad its not a bacterial bloom.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Clare1125 said:
How much of a water change?
I'm just glad its not a bacterial bloom.
50%
You need your liquid test kit,it is a huge advantage over strips.
Dont replace your filter either,just swish it out in old tank water every 3 to 5 months and only replace when it is falling apart....the beneficial bacteria live in the filter and if you throw it out you toss your cycle with it....

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please research the nitrogen cycle. It will be much easier for you after you know all about it, and then you won’t accidentally kill the cycle by doing things like wrench mentioned with the filter media

New Threads