Help Cloudy water after adding wood and plants

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I added some plants and some spider wood to my 55g tank yesterday and now the water is cloudy, it doesn’t really look like tannins, it’s cloudy/murky/hazy.... I added some of the same wood to a 10g tank with wild caught snails and that tank isn’t cloudy...

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Before adding wood and plants490C4E81-3894-4792-B68E-BEA670C3C8A9.jpeg

after adding plants and wood7A244A08-4724-4347-9ADA-51D6AB8668F3.jpeg

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Ssnaaiil said:
Would stress zyme help the cloudy water?
Probibly not. What I added spider wood to one of my tanks it totally clouded over, I couldn't even see through it. I believe the wood kinda lead to a bacterial bloom. However your parameters being at 0 indicate its not cycled. Is the tank new? If so, a bacterial bloom is totally normal.

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FreshwaterHG said:
Probibly not. What I added spider wood to one of my tanks it totally clouded over, I couldn't even see through it. I believe the wood kinda lead to a bacterial bloom. However your parameters being at 0 indicate its not cycled. Is the tank new? If so, a bacterial bloom is totally normal.
tank was cycled, then something like a week or 2 ago I was getting ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings and now they are all 0

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ssnaaiil said:
tank was cycled, then something like a week or 2 ago I was getting ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings and now they are all 0
I wouldn't have figured it wasn't cycled at all as you said you added this to an established tank. I have three tanks in my house that are all cycled and all read straight zeros. Bacterial bloom is the best bet, probably from whatever the wood is leeching, and if it hasn't faded away in a few days then I would be concerned.

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Accuclear will take care of the cloudy water but so will filtration, if you didn't soak the wood it might be leaching out? But to me it doesn't look like tannis, you could always do a water change

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ImpairedFish said:
Accuclear will take care of the cloudy water but so will filtration, if you didn't soak the wood it might be leaching out? But to me it doesn't look like tannis, you could always do a water change
I plan on doing a water change tomorrow if it’s worse tomorrow

New Threads